Studio 2.2.0 - Unstable Using Large Resolution Images - Project Files open as solid White/Black Squares

I have a large canvas that I am working with thus I need large artwork. So I am currently working with images that are 24000x24000 at 300dpi. So far I can open these images in topaz studio 2 fine, apply any filter with great results and easily export the image as a tiff, jpg or png file with no problem. The issue begins when saving the project. The project usually saves the project file depending on the image im using, however it auto closes when saving as a project using a test image created following the steps below. When the project does save I can open it up. However, the original image used in the project shows up as a black square with the top part being white. All the filters ect still show up like usual. This issue happens regardless of the image format (png, jpg, or tiff).

After some testing to see if it was perhaps the image I was using I decided to just create a 24000x24000 300 dpi square in photoshop, color it yellow and export it as a maximum resolution (level 12) jpg. The image exports fine and can be previewed fine. It opens up in topaz studio 2 with no issues. Filters, styles etc can be used on the image with no problems but saving the project results in studio 2 crashing with no error message. Just a close to desktop.

It seems that studio 2 becomes unstable using large resolution files. I don’t know if the issue is the software itself or on my system. So to confirm if someone can spare a minute and replicate the issue on their end that would great.

Steps to replicate:

1. Open photoshop and create a 24000x24000 300dpi square. Color format by me in these tests is sRGB 2.1, but I don’t think it should matter.

2. Either use the paint bucket tool or head to the layers panel on the right side and create a new fill layer. Select solid fill and use a color of your choice that is NOT black, white or grey.

3. Export the image as a jpg, png or tiff at full resolution.

4. Open the image you just opened in studio 2 now save the image as a studio 2 project. (File, Save Project as).

5. Note in the program crashes. It hasn’t for an image im working on but has for others.

6. Close Studio 2.

7. Open Studio 2 and then open the project you just saved. If it opens fine with the image intact please note.

I think you can also recreate the issue using any image you like that is 24000x24000 pixels or larger, at 300dpi.

Steps taken to resolve the issue on my end:

1. The software has been uninstalled, computer restarted and reinstalled.

2. Drivers have been updated to the newest release with the installation installing clean (not and overwrite).

3. Issue persisted so I instead did a clean install of the newest studio drivers. Issue still persisted.

• Application & Version: Topaz Studio 2 Version 2.2.0

• Operating System: Windows 10 (10.0)

• Graphics Hardware: GeForce RTX 2080/PCIe/SSE2

• OpenGL Driver: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 441.12

• CPU RAM: 65466 MB

• Video RAM: 8192 MB Total, 6144 MB In Use

• Preview Limit: 8000 Pixels

Please raise a Support Request at the Topaz Labs main website.

I can confirm that using your recipe and the 24000 x 24000 px image results in Studio 2 closing abruptly, however at your step 4, when opening the image in Studio 2, there is a warning that the image is too large to be processed properly.

For what is is worth, a similar warning is also issued by Studio 1, however when attempting the project save, it doesn’t close, it simply hangs.

Graphics%20Info

1 Like

@Greyfox

Thanks for taking the time to confirm the issue is with the software! I have 64gb of ram, so I don’t get the warning message about image size.

Thanks

Mario

Just to give you more info, I have 32GB of RAM and I don’t get that message when opening the file, but even with that and 6GB of VRAM it crashes when trying to save the project file.

1 Like

@PaulM Thanks for taking the time to test!

@AiDon I think instead of tech support this should be in the bug section as the issue is software related not hardware.

1 Like

That’s correct - but you’ll still need to raise a support request if you want them to look at it as this is a user to user forum.

@PaulM Will do thanks.

1 Like