Square artifacts on preview | MacOS M2

Going through some Aurora shots. RAW file. In autopilot before trying and adjustments the preview is showing me some crazy square artifacts.

Steps to reproduce issue:

1. Step 1. Import RAW file
  2. Step 2. View preview
  3. Step 3. That’s it

Topaz Photo AI [v3.04] on [Mac M2 Max MBP]

Would you mind sending in some more information to get a better understanding of the problem you are having with this particular type of image? Please send the following information:

1. The original image file.
  2. The processed image.
  3. A screenshot or description of the settings panel so I can see what adjustments were turned on.

You can securely submit your image(s) to my Dropbox using the link below.

Dropbox File Request

Please be sure to send me a note to let me know you sent something.

Hi John -

Just uploaded a screenshot. The marked up screenshot shows where the artifacts displayed on the preview. I didn’t actually process them yet.

Kind of embarrassed - I forgot which was the original file. I’ve attached a RAW from the set and I think that was the one. I took a bunch of photos.

In the past when I have had artifacts with TPAI it has been with exporting lower quality jpegs. This time I didn’t even begin the process - the preview of the autopilot setting displayed the artifacts.

Thanks for your reply and for sending in that information.

I was able to replicate this grid pattern you are receiving with Topaz Photo AI while working with the ARW file you sent in. I will note that our team has open tasks regarding this problem, which we are currently working on and hope to resolve in future updates.

I have added your information to this tasks so that I can contact you once we have resolved this problem.

We have noticed this grid artifact appearing when using Raw Denoise on MacOS Silicon M Chips. Is this what you are using?

We reached out to Apple as it seems their hardware is causing it. The code that Apple uses to process machine learning models on the M-Chip neural engine is working in a way that creates a grid artifact between the processing blocks.

The last time our developers spoke with Apple, they said they would try to fix it in a macOS update; however, we are not sure which one yet. We were hoping that they would fix it systemically instead of through a MacOS update, as users below that MacOS version would still have the issue.

Let us know if you notice anything else or if you have any questions about the workaround.