Sharpen AI v3.0

Does not appear to support hyper-threading on Mac. I use a 10 core iMac which gives me 20 hyperthreaded cores. When using CPU only seems to be using 10 of the available 20 cores. Now really slow in CPU mode. VIdeo card performance seems to have improved but still doesn’t seem as fast as previous versions when using 20 cores!

1 Like

Just updated to 3. Program froze when I went to quit. Subsequent launches cause it to crash on auto preview. MacOS 10.14.6.

4 Likes

V3.0 crash appears to be something to do with the AI Processor selection in Preferences. If i leave it with the auto select of the Intel(R) 530 Graphics Display Adapter it crashes. Change to CPU and it works, except that it is very slow updating indeed.

1 Like

This new Update is pure garbage. It makes Halos around edges like Photoshop does. Also sharpening options are simply very limited comparing to older version. I’m going back to version 2

10 Likes

Mac 10.14.6. Upgraded (3.0.0) just now, but application hangs for several minutes before crashing. Fix?

4 Likes

Completely agree. Just tested it and new algorithms are worse than some low budget sharpening filters, leave lot of halos in motion blur mode and others as well, which is the whole point of using Topaz product to avoid halos. And in normal sharpen mode which they now call I think Too Soft as if we are third grade kids, the slider moved to maximum barely does any sharpening and when set to “very blurry” it produces weird artifacts around edges. This is a disappointing disaster of a release. The new AI algorithms are big step backwards. Who tested this? Was there no feedback.

10 Likes

I went through the motions of installing on Mac, but the app is nowhere to be found.Latest installed version is still 2.1.3 from May 2020. What am I missing?

I have not been able to get Sharpen Ai to run on my work station since December 2020. It will work on two a lower grade PC’s. I tried the lastest 3.0 and it still will not launch. None of the new Ai products were working.

Just because it uses AI doesn’t mean I want it featureless. Give me enough control to instruct the AI engine to respond to me. The results from the latest upgrade are lackluster at best (halos/poor sharpening/loss of depth&contrast.
Also, are we going to be held hostage:
– While not logged in, or if your license is expired, your image will save with a watermark
– Users who own the product should be able to use it offline without a watermark given they’ve logged in once and don’t log out

8 Likes

I am using 10.13.6 and having the same problem

1 Like

Program working ok, but processing image is extremely slow now. What I used to be able to process in 3 minutes now takes 18 minutes. Other than installing new version, I have not made any changes. I am running on PC with Windows 10. Preferences Performance section shows AI Processor as NVIDIA GeForce GTX960 which is my card.

3 Likes

Just updated and it’s not working for me. This is the error message: Error processing image, please try again. If problem persists try updating your device drivers or switching to a different AI processor in preferences. I changed the AI processor from NVIDIA GForce RTX 2070 Super to CPU and now it does work but it’s very slow. It’s the same using the Lightroom plugin or standalone.
Windows 10.

5 Likes

Why on Earth did the labels have to be changed?
What was wrong with them? I swear, software companies are really out to annoy their customers.
Now I have no idea what were the settings I liked to use.
Right now I am at trying to figure out the equivalence:
Motion Blur = Stabilize
Out of focus = Focus
Too soft = Sharpen
Where is the “Extra Noise Suppression”? It would appear it’s been replaced by “Very noisy”, which is really weird because it is now a OR selection. You have to choose, what you prefer a sharper image or a less noisy one.
I guess I don’t like this version … oh well… I guess I will have to revert to the old one.

3 Likes

Extremely disappointed in this release, feels like a major step back in quality. Not only are the changes in the software questionable, but it appears the software was released without proper testing given the number of problems people are experience with this new update. I also agree with @Banjar1 and the question about being held hostage after we’ve paid good money for the software.

7 Likes

I note the change " if your license is expired, your image will save with a watermark" which appears to mean that a product I once owned would now have the status of being rented should I ever log out, which is inevitable, with this update - if this is the case then no thanks.

3 Likes

Two error messages appear when installing:
Topaz Sharpen AI.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point CreateFile2 could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.

Topaz Sharpen AI.exe - System Error
The program can’t start because hddlapi.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

I reinstalled and got the same messages. I tried running the program after these errors and it started and ran without incident. This has happened repeatedly.

Also, using the update message in an installed program produces a message saying that it can’t update because it can’t find the update file it has downloaded. The complete file address was shown for my computer, but the drive letter was garbled. This has also happened on previous updates. I knew it was C-drive so I manually searched that address, found the update file, and executed the update. But the automatic update procedure needs to be fixed to eliminate this problem.

Also, a file would not save when I used a mask on a relatively small area of the picture and then inverted it, so all the rest of the picture would be masked. When I saved the entire photo without using masking it saved fine.

Regardless of the above, the results (when I got them) looked good.

1 Like

I posted in the DeNoise thread yesterday, and now I’m experiencing the same exact issue with Sharpen, it makes all of the images pixelated and unusable.
I uninstalled both and did clean installs on Windows 10, and I made sure I had the latest nvidia driver thinking that might help. But it doesn’t.

https://postimg.cc/N902pbmF

I have exactly the same problem. Using MacOS 10.14.6 as well. There is no way to play with preferences as the program immediately goes to spinning beach ball.

I had the same problem as jrwygant. I have windows 7.
Two error messages appear when installing:
Topaz Sharpen AI.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point CreateFile2 could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.

Topaz Sharpen AI.exe - System Error
The program can’t start because hddlapi.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

I closed the windows and it appeared to run but after I zoomed in it crashed and disappeared from screen. I’ve reinstalled V2.2.2

I am also having the crash issue with MacOS 10.14.6.