Sharpen AI/Motion blur minimize diffraction

Diffraction distortion is a loss of sharpness because light rays are scattered out of the boundaries of the object.

Motion distortion is a loss of sharpness because light rays are spread out of the boundaries of the object.
Sony 100-500 G Master. Sony A7iii
At 500 mm I took pictures of a printed lens target, at about 50 feet.

Tripod, and time delay for shutter release.
Diffraction distortion is a lost of sharpness because light rays are scattered out of the boundaries of the object.

Motion distortion is a lost of sharpness because light rays are spread out of the boundaries of the object.

At 500 mm I took pictures of a printed lens target, at about 50 feet to compare f/5.6 with f/40. I am showing versions on only f/40

Tripod, and time delay for shutter release.

What is the point of this post as it has nothing to do with Content Submission.

Please forgive this newbie for making such a mistake.

I thought it was a use of an excellent program in an unusual manner that would be of significant interest to many people.

I apologize for making such a mistake. Please forgive. Thank you.

Perhaps it just needs a little more description and/or clarification? The before/after image does show Sharpen AI doing an excellent job on the test target.

Because this was taken on a tripod I assume motion distortion would not be a factor.

That is exactly my first point for understanding this. I am trying to point out a significant off-label use of this program/module that others might not be aware of.

There is much preaching that if an aperture smaller than f/11 is used in attempt to increase depth of field, which might be very desirable with a telephoto lens, the loss of sharpness might outweigh any gain in depth of field.

I want to help photographers who night not have thought about the possibilities of improving their photography by using this software in a manner not suggested by the label.

Thank you for furthering the discussion/

2 Likes