Saving An Image with Transparency? (Please assist ASAP)

I see transparency with both of them.

Thanks Paul.
The image GTFALCON-B.TIFF was saved from Affinity Photo as an 8bit LZW compressed TIFF file.

GTFALCON-B.TIFF was then opened in DeNoiseAI (working as a standalone), processed in DeNoiseAI mode using the auto settings, then saved as an 8bit LZW compressed TIFF file with the file name GTFALCON-A.TIFF.

So the question now perhaps is why PhotoShop can open them properly, but not the other image both you and Terry experienced the issue with.

Good question! I’ll do some more testing with different output parameters from Denoise AI (can’t remember what I used now) and see what transpires.

Well - everything is now opening in Photoshop. I no longer have the actual image I created yesterday - but I’ve just created TIFFs in Affinity and PS, processed them both through Denoise (standalone) and they both open in PS. I have no explanation to offer.

Yup Artisan-West. It seems to work with a few image editors. It seems strange that it will not work with the biggest one of all, Photoshop, unless you do the whole process within Photoshop, by accessing DeNoise AI there.

Hi Greyfox, I also see both with transparency.

I just tried it again Paul. Pulled the image into stand-alone Mask AI, created the mask, saved it as a TIFF. Pulled that into DeNoise AI and processed it there and saved it. Pulled it into Photoshop, and all transparency is gone. Something interesting is happening.

1 Like

I didn’t go anywhere near Mask AI - just created TIFFs with transparency in PS and Affinity, and then took them into Denoise AI.

Sorry Terry, but that isn’t really correct. As both you and Paul have already acknowledged, both the TIFF images I provided open in Photoshop with the transparency correctly shown, and neither of them had been processed at all in Photoshop.

All of the TIFF Images with transparency I’ve processed here in DenoiseAI, SharpenAI, AdjustAI, and GigapixelAI, when exported as both 8 bit and 16 bit TIFF files, are retaining the transparency and in the case of DenoiseAI, SharpenAI and AdjustAI, that applies whether they were used as plugins (to Affinity Photo) or as stand alones.

I suspect there is something specific about the other image/s that don’t show the transparency in Photoshop. What I would like to get hold of, is one of those TIFF images (preferably one that hasn’t been near MaskAI).

I’m sorry Greyfox, I wasn’t totally clear with my statement. What I meant to say was that I was not able to get it to work with Photoshop. I knew that both you and Paul were getting positive results so obviously in most cases it was working, just not for me, and of course the lady who brought up the matter in the first place. That can happen and this is one example. Glad you were out there Greyfox, and appreciate all your input.

Hey guys. I wanted to let this thread play out before I responded, and let the experts debate! For anyone that wants it, here’s the original file:

Porsche Coke Car

To clarify MY end
the file was clipped in Photoshop (current version) and saved as a .TIFF. I also then tried saving it as a .PSD. In both cases, when I import the file into Denoise AI standalone, it does not seem to work in either case (the background is black in .PSD but when the filter is applied, it returns to transparency
however, it saves with a black background). It does not seem to import the transparency in .TIFF at all. You can see that upon export, neither PS or AI read any transparency whatsoever. Video attached. @terryleemartin13, if I’m reading your responses correctly, you are able to duplicate this issue, correct? It does sound like this is an actual bug that has been identified by members here.

Video #2

I will try the in-Photoshop filter and cross my fingers. Is it any more or less powerful than the standalone version of Denoise AI?

I downloaded your image to have a play - it’s a layered TIFF which might be the cause of the problem. In Denoise I see a white background but no transparency. PS and Affinity Photo open it with transparency, but none of the others do.

Hi Alissa, yes I did get your same results.The performance of the software should be the same as a stand-alone, or through Photoshop.

In this case, I don’t believe that is a reasonable expectation.

As PaullM has pointed out, the TIFF in question is a layered TIFF.

What is being passed to DenoiseAI when it is being used as a plug in is basically what you see in the host editor. For want of a better description, the host editor has pre-interpretted the layers and masks etc. and Denoise sees it as a “flat” image with transparency, and after processing returns it as such.

When DenoiseAI is used free standing and opens this image, it doesn’t have the benefit of that pre-interpretation, and as it isn’t designed to fully handle layered TIFF’s it sees the image as a flattened image with a white background.

As a result, the TIFF export in freestanding mode is a flat image, with no layers, and with a white background.

With this layered TIFF In a host editor, if I delete all of the layers except the top one, what I see doesn’t change. It is now effectively a flat image with transparency (and that is how DenoiseAI as a plug sees it). If I export this flat TIFF image with transparency from the host editor, and then open that TIFF in a freestanding DenoiseAI, it sees it with transparency and after proocessing exports it with transparency.

Incidentally, if I open your layered TIFF image in ACDsee Studio, Windows Photo viewer, and even Topaz Studio 2, they too see it as a flat image with a white background, and I expect this would be the case for any software not designed to fully handle layered TIFF’s.

My 2 cents worth!

1 Like

@Greyfox Greyfox, thanks for the input. I flattened the TIFF and retained transparency, but the problem persists (as @terryleemartin13 did when he did his original tests). Thus
while Denoise AI can’t support a layered file, the original problem DOES persist. :thinking:

FYI – the in-program filter through Photoshop does work. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, that one works much better.

Yes, we need this.