Replace Duplicate Frames ... if there are only two

This is not really a “bug” but a comment on the new “Replace Duplicate Frames” feature.

It does seem to work when there are two duplicate frames in a row. But, some footage I have that looks like it was shot at 24fps then edited at 60 has a frame pattern that looks like this:

AA BB CC DD EE FFFF

Topaz creates new frames like this:

Aa Bb Cc Dd Ee Ff fF

It ends up with duplicate frames in the sequence every time through the cycle. I’m not sure what the solution is.

Do the lower case letters represent frames that were replaced by interpolation? So you can’t even run a second pass as the duplicate frames left behind are no longer consecutive? Or is the final group of 4 left as 4 identical frames? Can you add a bit more about what it does there?

But if the pattern is consistent throughout the video, maybe a temporary workaround is to run it through a program that has a simple frame decimation filter, Virtualdub or one of its variants for example set to remove alternate frames so you get:

A B C D E FF

And run that it through TVAI until (if) Topaz can improve this?

Do the lower case letters represent frames that were replaced by interpolation? So you can’t even run a second pass as the duplicate frames left behind are no longer consecutive? Or is the final group of 4 left as 4 identical frames? Can you add a bit more about what it does there?

Yes, and it really should have looked like this when done – having “Remove Duplicate Frames” actually create them was unexpected.

Aa Bb Cc Dd Ee FeeG

In the case of the 24fps-60fps video, doing two passes seemed to work for that specific video. But, another video (the one that I was originally trying to fix for someone using Topaz, Flowframes, ffmpeg, etc.) still has the same issue where it “does” create new frames both passes, but during the parts that would be duplicates from pass one, the difference in frames is almost not noticeable and still gets rejected but he “Duplicate Frame Police” of movie hosting sites.

I suspect if there is bigger motion, two passes is a workaround for the moment, but going frame-by-frame, side-by-side of original, one-pass and two-pass shows it’s still not quite there.

Would somebody explain how how to use the sensivity slider in Replace Duplicate Frames?

What I need is to remove duplicate images and then decrease framerate to half (still keeping the video length original). This cannot be done without some “probe”, because duplicates can be first odds then evens and then change rather randomly.

Like Aa Bb Cc Dd E fF gG hH iI jJ kK L Mm Nn …

The only problem is that replacing repeated frames is not designed for scenes where the number of repeated frames is too long. Why not reduce the video back to the original frame number, or you should insert frames to 60 first and then edit.

I have had some great success with this, and some total failures. I do wonder – what would it do on a title screen that holds a title for several seconds, not changing?