Rendering export of converted PAL video causes some pillarboxed scenes to waver left and right?!

Hi! Before purchasing, I was testing brief clips from PAL video converted to NTSC (720x480) and saw no problems, so I then bought the software feeling confident.

Overnight, my first two full videos upscaled to 1080 was attempted.

Watching the next morning to confirm, the scene wobbles to and fro for some scenes and it’s disconcerting.

Even previews of suspect scenes look fine, it’s just the final render that throws things off and it’s bizarre.

I’ve since re-rendered in fullframe and auto-crop modes and getting the same swaying. With deblur and stabilization, 1 render is 8 hours appx. Without these, it’s about 5 hours.

I’ve even disabled all Stabilization and Motion Deblur options.

I’ve tried Interlaced Progressive, then Progressive for one render as well.

Nothing makes a difference.

To make sure I was not going nuts, I re-viewed the source material ripped from Handbrake or Wondershare. It does not do the nausea-inducing swaying.

I did initially notice, when ripping from the ISO via Handbrake or Wondershare, having the same problem - this I resolved by using AV1 as the codec. The video remained stable at that point. But when using Topaz to upscale to burn to blu-ray, MP4 and MKV are my only options and the swaying problem returned.

The scenes that don’t sway back and forth are terrific, but the swaying does induce nausea. :frowning:

Has anyone else tried upscaling an NTSC conversion?

Should I use “2x” instead of “1920x1080” as the output format? Might that fix the problem? I’ll try that this morning…

I assume your video is 720x576. if that is the case, your video is at PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio): 16x15 and not PAR: 1x1 (Square Pixel) and your Display Aspect Ratio (DAR is 4:3).
1920x1080 is a resolution for Square Pixel for DAR of 16:9.

You got two options.

1. “Select Width” → 1440 and Also select Square Pixel Type. this would be much more natural to your 720x576 4:3 Video.

1. the Other option which in my opinion is much better and the petered method would be to De-interlace your video (if needed) and convert your Video to Square Pixel both in “Hybrid” powerful free tool, PAR: 1x1.
    (which result a 720x540 output resolution). and in Lossless format like FFV1.
    Then import it to TVAI and select x2 Upscale option.

you can see a Picture here for PAR conversion.
for lossless encoding in Hybrid, read here.

2 Likes

Thanks much!

The video coming in was previously converted to 720x480, from the original 720x576 – but pixel type (square, et al) was NOT set. I have a feeling the original pixel type and ratio were not changed and this will require new testing. Am tempted to start from scratch, though the AV1 video looks the same as the direct video playback from the ISO (which recognizes the content as 720x576, not 768x576…)

Deinterlacing was done at the time of the Wondershare conversion to 720x480/25fpx.

I’ll dig into what you’d mentioned after the new test render (2x, 1440x960) is completed - but I suspect the problem will continue and I will have to go into pixel width settings either way.

In a quick lookup about PAL resolution, that mentioned the very square pixel issue you’d mentioned. I’m not sure why a PAL DVD is 720x576 and not 768x576, but it’s definitely a moot point in the grand scheme of things. :slight_smile:

Will follow up later this evening. Keeping fingers crossed…

Thanks again for your input! :smiley:

Addendum: I have 3.2.8 and see the following for video settings (see screencap).

I’ll do a more basic pal conversion and see what the input reads (e.g. will I see “1.07:1 SAR”)

That is because DVDs were meant for the older 4:3 CRT TVs which playback on that resolution (actually more like 704x520)

1 Like

Thanks for the info!

I checked the two screencaps and am downloading Hybrid right now – I wish I asked about this earlier to have saved the cost of Wondershare, but it may still have some use for non-PAL video as I have older DVDs that are also out of print…

Downloads | Hybrid (selur.de)

It is a very powerful tool. many here use it…

BTW - you can set Lossless Encoding in TVAI as well if you wish, for post processing or custom encoding to final video file with external tool of your choice with your favorite encoding settings (like I do)

1 Like

Dumb question - will Hybrid accept ISO files?

no idea honestly. never tried.

If Hybrid does not accept ISO files you can virtually mount an ISO and extract or even play the content in it… Virtual CloneDrive