Read remaining disk space and display warning if file exceeds space

So now I’m on my 3rd attempt at processing a huge file that painfully has made it 90% of the way only to fail due to running out of drive space at the end, ugh! I cannot tell you after hours of processing how terrible it is to completely lose what has been processed only to have rinse and repeat again.

Topaz Labs PLEEZ do two things: 1. add a drive space calculation and warning prior to beginning processing so you can make space for the current project 2. IF you hit drive space limits during processing add the ability to save the current level of processed file so you can finish after clearing room rather than having to wait hours-again, to fully reprocess.

Other than that, this is a super cool tool, totally love it, THANK YOU!

What product are you talking about?

Thx for your response. Topaz Video AI. I’m up converting and removing grain from 4k 30p 4min footage which takes 9hrs to process…and on an 8 core 32 thread i9 intel CPU with solid graphics card too. So having to reprocess is an entire day, very painful…having drive space warnings and/or ability to pick up where processing stopped would be a life saver

1 Like

VEAI should know when an operation could fill a disk and at least warn the user. I’m not sure exactly how it should be done, but anything would definitely be appreciated. As it is right now, it will just keep writing until the disk is absolutely full and then it totally freezes.

1 Like

When exporting you don’t really know the output file size in all but one case - uncompressed frames. Still, that’s 1/3 of the options, so it should be doable (calculate the number of output frames, multiply by frame size, report export total size, cry).

Or just pause the processing, but that would require pause capability to be added.

Glad to of the work towards this.

Also you’d have to be present to hit pause which is understandable with an overnight run.

Sorry, I was completely unclear in my earlier comment.

What I wanted to say was that Video Ai itself would automatically pause whenever the free disk space dropped below a certain threshold. Then once space is freed up, Video AI can automatically resume.

Ok understood, thank you!

Displaying the expected “file size” ! > MB, GB > when selecting the format quality ( ProRes, mp4, mov, etc.) + MBit/s before file export would be fantastic !!!

1 Like

Please remove the ‘feature’ that deletes the entire render if a drive runs out of room. At least make the default keep already rendered files and have an option to automatically delete

The number of times I’ve had hours of renders automatically deleted is crazy

1 Like

Good idea! You can also open the temp file that was created in the app. Set the export to without preview and then just export without turning on any filter. This will allow you to export the file as expected.

Sorry, I don’t understand your response. I’ll try to be clearer. The issue I’ve been having is that, if the drive I am exporting to runs out of space during an export of an image sequence, all the previously rendered frames of the sequence are deleted. I would expect those frames to be preserved rather than automatically deleted by Video AI. It means that whenever a render fails, I have to re-render the whole sequence again rather than resuming form the frame when the drive ran out of space. Is it possible to include a preference option to delete or preserve previously rendered frames in the event a render fails?

My reply is the steps you can use to process the file without losing the work you have done so far :slight_smile:

Apologies again but I still don’t understand your response. Perhaps you could be more descriptive and provide more specific detail?
“open the temp file that was created in the app. Set the export to without preview and then just export without turning on any filter. This will allow you to export the file as expected.”

Where is the temp file located?
Do I “set the export to without preview” in preferences or the temp file?
What do you mean by “export without turning on any filter”? Without filters, Topaz is not useful in my workflow. I need to enhance and interpolate the footage.

Thanks

Vegas Pro does more than that, it displays its estimate of your ultimate file size and displays the available disk space, after you choose the render format and before you hit “Render” - and that VP version is a few years old. I think it’s always done that.

I always ensure in VP that at least double the required disk space is available, as a precaution. It can’t be hard to implement this so come on Topaz, you can do it - let’s have the basics such as this sorted, before adding more frills.

1 Like

I know this pain Adam! Thankfully I use APFS disks, and I built a really easy script in Shortcuts app to copy the file every hour and rename it to something (e.g. the current time) — or I could do every minute, and it wouldn’t even matter. The great thing is that each “copy” is just a filesystem trick, and takes zero space until you make changes (and depending on the kinds of changes you make, can still take incredibly little space!)

The one time I kicked myself was when I restarted a huge export in the middle, but forgot to restart the Shortcuts script!