Re-Photography Project - Of Small Home Town

Very nice job on the drawings.

I think that the best program for drawing is Akvis Sketch, here is a quick example of that. There are a variety of styles you can modify. I hope that Topaz keeps refining their filters and creates ones more capable of drawing.

5 Likes

Ooooh. I like that! Yeah I don’t have access to anything that could produce something like that. And, that’s a nice look!! Will have to check out that program. Thx! Wanna come over and fix all my photos??? :camera::desktop_computer::computer_mouse: I hope that’s not just a Mac program…

1 Like

Here’s one from TS2 It was based on one of Sharon’s BW Sketch in TS1 that I converted.

LMK if you would like the “Look”

5 Likes

Thx. Yeah! That’s nice. How do I get it?! Is there a ‘recipe’ I’d apply to one of the existing Looks?

I really like that one above from Akvis. But this is much much better than what I achieved and I like having a variety of looks at my disposal for different pics.

I really enjoyed this whole thread. This is the forum at its best.

2 Likes

TS2 AI Remix Ink blot straight out
Getting even better when adjust smooth edge to zero

5 Likes

I put it in the shared dropbox that Jack Torcello so graciously set up for us. Thank you again @Torcello! The file name is LMG - Starbucks for Robyn.ts2 so should be easy to identify lol.

After you have downloaded it, open it in TS2 and save as a Look, which can then be applied to other photos.

I think you still have TS1, there are a lot of great sketch effects in there that have not been brought over yet. Search for Sketch! If there is an Effect that did not make it over to TS2, I open both TS1 & TS2 next to each other, then duplicate the settings from TS1 to TS2 and save as a Look. Some of the filters need to be tweaked a little bit but it works very well.

1 Like

Thx Linda. Just home again. So reading the latest info…

I feel a bit dense. How do I find the shared Dropbox you mention Jack set up where you put the unintuitively file-named for me [wink, wink, smile!] file?

Thx for the info on what to do when/once I find the file. That would have been question #2.

It will be fun to play with that look on different images! I agree with Ken that there wasn’t an ideal line drawing option in the Topaz (& even Alien Skin) alternatives I had or had checked out. I’m gonna trial run Akvis Sketch too - just for kicks. Depending on price will decide if worth adding to my filters library. It sounds like a standalone program - not my usual Ps workflow.

Yes, I still have/use Studio 1 (as plugin to Ps CC 2019). In fact, I was so excited recently (realize I have a very low excitement threshold…) when Don tutored me re: how to re-install TS 1 into the appropriate file hierarchy on my PC so that TS 1 showed up again in my Ps Filters menu under “Studio”. For some reason along the way it had gotten totally wiped out.

Thx for the tip, ekieki!

Akvis programs can run as stand alone and photoshop plugins

They have this unusual option to purchase them either as a standalone, plugin or both

There’s a link in a thread started by AiDon, but you’ll need to ask Jack to give you access:

1 Like

I just downloaded the trial to give it a test run. I always start just on my own to see how intuitive an unfamiliar software is. When I looked at their site I saw the options for standalone, plugin or “deluxe” (both). If I hit the wall then I look for tutorials.

Will see - relative to the examples others posted above - whether I’ll get all I’d need (given how infrequently I create sketches) with the Studio options above vs the ~$72 for Akvis. Sometimes I’ll do things like convert to a sketch (or illustration) then add a blend mode in Ps just to add a bit of character (w/out being overly obvious) to a photo. Thx for the heads up to this s/w!

1 Like

Just sent him a note. Thx!

1 Like

The DropBox is doing odd things - some Looks/Presets download and work straight away - others d/load and fail to open. I am not sure if this is Studio’s fault, or DropBox?!?!?

Hmmm. It’s funny b/c in the past few weeks I haven’t been able to do what I used to be able to do in Dropbox anymore - namely, put files in a Public folder then copy and share links with people. They don’t get anything. So perhaps they’ve been making changes that have rendered Dropbox useless… That would be too bad.

Just prior to that happening, some .dng’s I’d sent in to the local paper with my shots turned out completely dark and awful. Something that had never happened previously.

LMG - Starbucks is in the DropBox - it gives as has been mentioned - an Akvis Sketch look.

There is a CC technique I have named GLIMM - Glowing Lines/Inverted/Monochrome in Multiply mode. LMG Starbucks is a handy shorthand preset to get almost that GLIMM look.

2 Likes

Good to know! Thx for that info on tradeoff approaches to a sketched effect. :pencil2:

1 Like

FYI, I tested that software & decided to get it (with my student discount qualifier!) to complement the functionality in Topaz Studio 2. Thx for mentioning it. While checking them out (I’d never heard of AKVIS before) I also tested their NatureArt program and decided to buy it too. I’ve already developed a tutorial for them using it to show how to convert a midday landscape shot into a sunset shot using their product as a Ps CC plugin. Thx for sharing the info!

1 Like

I run a Facebook Group for Akvis Sketch and Akvis Draw.
Come and join us?! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good to know! I’ll do that. I’d like some inspiration and idea sharing. But I anticipate being intimidated by real talent…

B/c I’m not a social media maven (and concerned about privacy on social media) I’ll join under my Facebk alias!!

1 Like