Product Direction in 2024

Hi Eric,

I appreciate your email and your query. There isn’t a lot I have appetite for (other than doing even better what you already do) but there are, of course, some things.

• Have a way in the product to do horizontal and vertical perspective changes. I think that I get slightly better results when this is done prior to sharpening/upscaling. If you think about going this route, I suggest taking a look at how the lowly Snapseed product does this, which is to allow you to drag points near each of the four corners of the image to get the result you want. I find that this is much faster and much easier than other methods.

• I would love a setting that allows me to automatically open the image in my editor of choice following export. (My editor of choice, oddly enough, is Luminar 4.)

I’d also like to add the it is a crying shame that you have dropped support for Studio 2. The looks in Studio 2 are a lot of fun, but the feature that I really would like in a standalone that could be used as a plugin is the Digital Frame filter. There’s no other product that I am familiar with that matches the functionality of this filter in terms of the comprehensiveness of settings combined with easy to use power and excellent execution.

I really appreciate, btw, the ease of updates and the frequency.

Best to you,

Dave Marcus

There are millions of discolored old photos, BW photos, textured photos (scans of photos with textured paper) - all those are really difficult to bring back without manual work - removing dust, restoring tear and scratches, colorizing those all while considering that grain in old film shots is different from that in modern cameras - a workflow for restoring old photos would be a fantastic addition to PhotoAI and would bring quite a few people trying to keep old photos to life.

Regarding some of the old software suits from Topaz, if Topaz definitely decided that those are “abandoned” - why not open source them? Community can update Qt4 to Qt 6, make it compile on all platforms and introduce improvements and fixes. Topaz Studio can have 2nd life and since there is no commercial interest it will be no loss for the company. I’ve paid for every single product Topaz created in the last 10+ years - I would love to see Topaz Impression, Adjust, etc be usable again.

3 Likes

Good afternoon Mr. Yang, thank you for providing this update. One suggestion that I do have to open your products up to more potential customers is to offer an “All-Access” subscription at a fair monthly price (perhaps $29.99/mo). In this model, you’d include access to all applications (including all updates/support) for one low monthly price.

This would create a persistent revenue stream for you as well as entice more customers to use the product (so that they aren’t having to pay $299 outright for just Video AI or $199 outright for just Photo AI).

Now, understanding that not everyone would like to use this model, I’d still retain the option to purchase the product outright for those that want it.

Instead, I believe Topaz’s business model is the best in existence: you pay once and have the product forever, buying annual upgrades only when you feel the need!

We are full of monthly subscriptions–even enough now! :unamused:

9 Likes

I completely understand where you’re coming from. That’s why at the end of my suggestion I stated that the old model shouldn’t disappear (it should remain an option for those that still want it).

I do feel like this would give people the opportunity to use this software as a service if they wanted to for a monthly fee instead of shelling out $299 and $199 once a year. Additionally, it would provide a constant revenue stream for Topaz so that they could further fund development (which is in everyone’s best interest I would think).

1 Like

If you understand ISP pipeline enough, you will know that for most images that ISP has ever touched nonlinearly are generative. Even further, Canon and Nikon are actively researching ways to use AI to process images pre-Bayesian. If you can understand these AI research papers, even basic things like denoising are “generative”. I don’t think any competitions can define a fair “no generative AI” rule for their contests. (They would think their rules are fair, but they never understand that noise removal are generative by adding additional information to the image using methods outside classic statistical approach)

4 Likes

I use Photo AI to restore old photos, and I enjoy its capabilities very much. However, I think one aspect could be improved, namely how it handles areas with periodic structures, e.g. roof tilings and facades with standing panels. It should use periodicity when removing noise.

Hi
I use Topaz Sharpen and Denoise as a plug-in to Lightroom 6 (The old Classic I think)
I wish to purchase Topaz Photo AI. Will it run as a plug to my Lightroom 6?

Stan

I would like to see Photo AI incorporate this in the future

2 Likes

I would love to see Linux being supported. Trying to install the current version under Wine, the installer just fails outright. A native version would be extremely welcome.

Dear Eric,
As someone who taught photo in grad and undergrad levels for 40 years before retirement almost 20 years ago and still work in photo and use your products, I would plead with you that your future products further enhance our curiosity to explore in the real world, and to appreciate and retain the authenticity of the original images.
Sorry that it’s not something simple to describe nor put into action. Perhaps more as a corporate philosophy.
Thank you.

2 Likes

Really enjoying TPAI. Just renewed through 9/2025. Keep up the great work!

My wish list would include a Vision Pro version or at the very least an iPad version of TPAI that would work on the Vision Pro.

Hopefully with the high end iPads using Apple Silicon chips they have enough horsepower to run TPAI.

All the best,

Jeff

Regarding Video AI,

When upscaling 4x3 video, it would be great if one could raise or lower the 4x3 video within the 16x9 template. Even better, keyframing capability for each shot! A shot detector would be great for this application as well.

It seems to me that Topaz AI (Photo, Video) does not have a very clear path where to go, which is probably evidenced by this poll, collecting user opinions. I remember how Topaz announced that it would focus primarily on e.g. Photo AI, with the fact that any possible updates to individual tools (Denoise, Gigapixel, Sharpening) would be secondary to Photo AI. I put up with it, but suddenly I see that Gigapixel (maybe others too) is being developed in a kind of parallel way of its own. I’m confused by this and don’t know if or how to continue with updates – especially given their high prices! Or perhaps look for other alternatives (lots of other software sources are trying to put AI into their products).

FYI, me as a type of customer: I am just an ordinary amateur photographer focusing on photos of common animals, birds, sometimes plants or landscape around me. I can’t compare myself at all to professionals or true experts in the details of photography. I only photograph for my pleasure; no contests or exhibiting pictures on the Internet and such.
I don’t even have special cameras, but I don’t use any mobile phone for photography at all. Let’s say a camera (with interchangeable lenses) priced up to about US$ 1000. First of all, I need sharpening, sometimes cropping and its enlargement, noise removal as well. Getting as close to reality as possible, without visible distortion. I do color corrections and the like in another photo editor; the current beta-versions in Photo AI such as Adjust Lighting and Balance Color are not useful to me. I am not interested in monthly license subscriptions, etc.

However, I’m not even interested in trying to see if and how Photo AI or its separate parallel components have been improved, and whether and which ones are even worth the price of the update. Topaz isn’t bad, but it’s worth watching to see if something better (for me) from another manufacturer comes along for my hobbyist needs where I can discern and use some improvements. I’m not interested in generative AI (perhaps with the exception of removing an inappropriate object from the background or surroundings of the main object – sometimes, for example, when photographing a bird, an unexpected fly flies across at the same time, creating a black spot on the image).

I am also concerned about the possible excessive increase in hardware requirements (memory, GPU) that may appear over time.

Anyway, I’m not interested in being pressured into constantly looking for alternatives to Topaz, because it’s a very good tool for me. It depends on the strategy of its future development. What will it be like? This is not at all clear to me.

3 Likes

I couldn’t agree more @stefano2, I love the Topaz products and use them daily but I’m still totally confused by the product lineup and how it changes over time.

We need a definitive statement regarding functionality and where future development will happen.

For example, if I own Photo AI 2 do I still need Gigapixel 7?
If Gigapixel 7 will offer different functionality to Photo AI 2 what are the differences?
Will Photo AI 2 & Gigapixel 7 always offer the same backend models?
Why has Gigapixel AI made a comeback?
Will Denoise AI & Sharpen AI make a comeback like Gigapixel AI has?
What other new apps are in the making that may replace existing apps?

All of this information seems to be glossed over by Topaz but it’s what people really need to know before spending their hard earned cash.

I would love to recommend Topaz products to more people but I really don’t know what to recommend people spend their money on at any one time.

All that said, what you guys are doing is amazing and I wouldn’t be without your products right now. I love the general direction that @eric has indicated but would love a lot more communication.

4 Likes

One thing I realized this week is that with the dropping of support for DAI and SAI my original “subscription plan” that covered updates for my complete suite of apps, has now been transformed into two independent payment plans for keeping just PAI and GAI up to date. Not being a professional with a revenue stream to support my photography work, I can’t really justify the annual expense of keeping two maintenance contracts going so I’ll have to drop one or the other. When I first acquired GAI it was for a multi-year project that could only be accomplished through its magic. Since that project completed I’m using it very infrequently, so that’s probably the one that will lapse. So far the PAI results are not reliable enough to become my default post process app, but I suppose my money will keep investing in that with hope for the future.

In the meantime, I still use DeNoise 6 on a daily basis because I can always trust it to get the noise reduction just right. :innocent:

1 Like

A little OT perhaps, but the current version of TPAI (v2.3.2) can actually be installed and used under Wine (at least Wine v9.2; probably not using versions prior to 9.0). When the installer fails, you have to terminate it from outside the program e.g. using the ‘kill’ command (or some graphical equivalent, but don’t just close the installer’s window where it reports that something unexpected happened or it will remove everything it has already installed), then rerun the installer and let it repair the installation.

It has worked for TPAI versions 2.3.0, 2.3.1 and 2.3.2. It would probably be easy for the Topaz developers to fix this.

1 Like

You are a star. That got it going. Wonderful - thank you!

Please adjust the upgrade plans for your products. Photo AI for example offers no extension option, I can only choose “add another seat”. Video AI which I bought for around 170 $ back then offers me a one year extension for almost as much: 150 $. The upgrade plan for all photo products is nowhere shown at all. :eyes:

Try this page. Pricing List

2 Likes