Preview frame edge jitter

The learning process continues. The restoration of some 8mm film captures has been very rewarding with great results. However, I notice that I see jitter on both sides of the preview frame. The video inside the frame is fine just the edges.
Also, is it possible to adjust contrast of the video.

Thanks for your comments,

Bob W

Hi Bob! No, you will not be able to alter contrast or any other basic video adjustment. For this, I like Resolve and Adobe Premiere :slight_smile:

I am not quite sure what you are describing, could you share a screen recording?

Oftentimes it is easiest to share a screen recording for issues like this to quickly show me exactly what is happening. I use Loom for screen recordings since this is a free and easy to use app.

Here is a capture of a B&W video. Notice the frame edges.

Bob W

Hi Bob,

Can you share the input file with me and the exact steps you used to create this export?

You can securely submit your files(s) to our Dropbox using the link below. Please be sure to send me a note to let me know you sent something.

Submit File to Dropbox

Ida, I uploaded the original unprocessed clip to your Dropbox link. My process flow was
Upscale to HD
Filters:
Stabilization-Reduce Jitter Motion
Motion Deblur
Output Settings:
H264 High
MP4

Many thanks for looking into this.

Hi Bob, thank you :slight_smile:

This is occurring due to the pillar boxing that is being added when upscaling and how this is interacting with the stabilization model. To avoid this, you can use auto-crop instead of full frame., however, you will lose some of the image.

Or, you can use stabilization first without changing any resolution and then upscale using whatever settings suit best.

Thank you so much for this information. I am so impressed at the incredible job the software has done with my B&W films from the 1950’s. I will make change in the process flow you suggested.

Bob W

1 Like

I love hearing that :slight_smile: Thank you for sharing your case, I learned something new too!