Precision Detail in Topaz Studio is "wonky"

I don’t touch the blending mode, but I’ll check tonight to see what it’s set at.

Try it the other way round, use Precision Detail first and see if it behaves normally without the AI.

I will. Thanks for the suggestion.

I experienced the same problem with AI Adjust. After reading the initial post in this thread I tried using Precision Detail in Topaz Studio (V 1.14.5, Mac), with the same outcome. However, the issue only seems to occur with photos taken from my Nikon P1000, whether they are jpgs or RAW (NRW format). I have checked every other photo type (e.g. photos taken with a Kodak, Sony, iPhone, etc.) I have available, but the program behaved as expected.

None of the Topaz products appear to support NRW files but it is only Precision Detail (either within Studio or within Adjust A1) that cause problems for a jpg file shot from my P1000. I have not tried adjusting settings on the camera to determine if there are any other relevant variables.

it appears with all kind of files, it is Mac related, hope they fix it soon !

seesm fixing the broken and unusable studio detail and AAI plugins for Mac user does not have high priority for topaz.

1 Like

I believe that there is a replacement for Studio currently in test, see the VP of Developments statement here so there will be a detailed announcement going out to users, hopefully this week:

I just tried Topaz Studio 2 and I get the same issues using Precision Detail 2. I’m glad I didn’t pay $99. I wouldn’t pay anything for Topaz Studio until those issues are resolved.

btw, I have stopped using Topaz Studio because of all of the issues with my images.

wow, the issue with both products ai and studio detail is now unsolved for about a month and now they realise studio 2 with the same bugs seems they don’t caret if their software actually works.

Have you raised a support request yet?

yes 2

just discovered the old detail 3 plugin works flawless in ps cc had a copy on a backup. and this made me think that a company which brings 4 incarnations of essentially the same filter to the market within just a few years must have a terrible management. so it is of no surprise they bring flawed products to the market and ignored bugs too.

I think that the issue is linked to handling RAW files in any Topaz product running on Mac. If I open a RAW file (ORF from Olympus OMD E5 Mk2) in Adjust AI or either Topaz Studio and drop the small details to -100 then I get the “Impressionist” effect. If I send a Tiff of the same image from On1 then Precision Detail works as expected.

I will double check my steps and submit a support request in the next day or so.

1 Like

I have tried multiple things, including a reinstall. I have attached two sample images. The clear image was immediately upon opening Studio. The other is after applying Precision Detail before doing anything else. I have tried at least 7 images and all with the same result. I tried adjusting once it was open with no success.

Forgot to check community site on Topaz website. I have exactly the same problem that started some time in April-May and continued through the release of Topaz Studio 2 and Topaz Adjust AI. Just recently reinstalled (on top of the existing version) my Mac OS and then wiped all files that have to do with Topaz
find / -iname "*topaz*" -exec rm -rf '{}' \;

Nothing, absolutely nothing helps. I’ve delayed processing so many photos until this bug is fixed but we are into 8th month of no fix for this issue with 2 tickets (188460 and 179317) open with support in the past. I own every single Topaz product and this is the worst part of my experience lately. Precision Detail is one of the key tools I always used.

If anyone was able to solve this, I would really appreciate help as nobody is responding to comments in support tickets.

Upgrading to Topaz 2 v2.2.0 finally fixed it for me!

1 Like

I am on 2.2.0 still exactly the same issue. :frowning:

If you are running on Mac have you upgraded to Catalina. Topaz closed my bug report on distortion in Precision Details by saying it was fixed in Catalina. Sure enough, after I upgraded the problem has gone away in both Studio and Adjust AI. Seems to have been due to interaction between Topaz software and MacOS.

1 Like

So still a bug somewhere in Topaz software as far as I’m concerned as no other plugin or software stopped to function but Precision Detail. Unfortunately, I can’t update MacOS as my scanner is no longer supported due to 32bit support being dropped.