Photo AI very visible background pattern on high ISO image(s)

I don’t SEE this anywhere in here…

Photo AI 1.4, windows 11 Pro.

On high ISO images I’m seeing a very visible pattern in the background.

_A114075_TP

I ran Photo AI in RAW mode, so nothing in the Lightroom adjustments should affect it, right? I’m telling Photo AI to only sharpen the subject, so is this something from removing noise? Is there something I should do differently to avoid this?

I’m going to continue playing with these couple images to see if changing sharpening settings helps, or something else I can do.

I have changed it to the Bugs & Issues category unless you have an Idea.

I thought I’d put it in bugs and Issues! Clearly, not an expert at the forum!

First, I upgraded to 1.4.1 so that’s not the problem.

If it helps, this is not a normal image - it was shot at ISO 2000, and is between 2.5 and 3 stops underexposed. So it’s dark.

I’ve continued playing. I can turn OFF sharpening and get the same background pattern.

The default for this image is noise reduction Strong and 3, 1. I’ve tried both 5, 1 and 1,1 and it makes no difference. With no sharpening I still get the same background pattern.

If I switch to “Normal” for noise reduction, even at the default of 30,1, there’s a different, less pronounced pattern. It’s still there at 20,1 and 10,1 but it’s less visible than anything using Strong noise reduction. I can probably do something in Lightroom and/or Photoshop so the pattern isn’t a problem, but it’ll take some work to obscure enough to not be visible.

You are welcome to upload your original file to DropBox or WeTransfer so others can see if they can duplicate your issue.

Please upload the original file and I can try to reproduce.

You can securely submit your image(s) to my Dropbox using the link below. Please be sure to send me a note to let me know you sent something.
Dropbox File Request

I just uploaded the original .ARW file. When I tested, I left the noise and sharpen settings at the defaults, and only adjusted the subject selection area (the selection of the bird wasn’t perfect) prior to testing.

Having run things several times, I decided it happens when I use the STRONG noise reduction, even with extremely low settings like 4,1. I’ve been using Normal since testing.

Thanks for sending the file. I was able to reproduce the behavior and see it in the output as well.

I made a task for my team to look into this. I’m not sure what the cause is but the Normal model seems to work fine.

We are updating the Raw models so this should be handled soon.

Did this get handled in the Photo AI that was just released? If not, I won’t try testing it until a later version.

I checked with the new models and the pattern is no longer there.

For this image, I noticed that the default Remove Noise value was lower than I needed so I had to increase the strength manually. We will be working on improving the accuracy for Autopilot over time.

I"ll try it in the version that’s coming Thursday…

1 Like

Let me know what you think after using it.

I just ran the same image using 2.0.2, strong noise reduction, and V2 sharpening, and I don’t see any pattern! It looks fixed to me! I HOPE not to have to use the STRONG noise reduction often, but given the extremely high ISO, Photo AI did a really good job!

1 Like

Wonderful news, I’m glad to hear it’s working for you.

Please let me know if I can help with anything else!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.