Photo AI drops embedded DNG lens and color profile even when disabling Photo AI lens correction

This issue is happening with Photo AI 3.0.3 on Windows. I can reproduce the issue using any photo taken from my Pixel 7 Pro. It’s most visible for the ultra wide angle camera, since it heavily relies on software geometry correction.

The original photo has a built in lens profile embedded in the DNG, Lightroom is able to apply this profile. The DNG file also has an embedded color profile for the “Google Pixel look”. Though the lens profile is much more important than the color profile, both are missing from the DNG exported from Photo AI.

For comparison (yes, this is my finger), this is the original DNG in Lightroom. Note the “Google Pixel” color profile and the applied lens profile.

Then after Photo AI: Not only is more of my finger visible, we can also see that the color profile is missing and lightroom could not find a matching lens profile. Both information is usually embedded in the DNG.

The only related setting I could find is that the Adobe SDK is used to write the DNG file, which is enabled for me and by all means seems like the superior option. Nevertheless, the problem persists no matter whether this option is enabled or not.

Photo AI lens correction is disabled. I want Lightroom to do the lens correction on the resulting image.

I think Photo AI is vignetting my RAW (or ignoring the lens profile) was a similar problem, though I don’t agree with the solution given. I just want Photo AI to work on the distorted image, but pass through the correction data in the DNG (yes, in an optimal world, geometry correction would happen before sharpening).

Would you mind sending in some more information to get a better understanding of the problem you are having with this particular type of image? Please send the following information:

1. The original image file.
  2. The processed image.
  3. A screenshot or description of the settings panel so I can see what adjustments were turned on.

You can securely submit your image(s) to my Dropbox using the link below.

Dropbox File Request

Please be sure to send me a note to let me know you sent something.

Thanks for sending in those files and information, can you tell me which Lightroom Classic plugin you are using:

• File > Plug-in Extras > Process with Topaz Photo
  • Photo > Edit in > Topaz Photo AI

It’s the first one, * File > Plug-in Extras > Process with Topaz Photo.

This way the raw DNG gets processed by Photo AI, which probably yields to superior noise reduction?

You are right, if I was using Photo > Edit in > Topaz Photo AI, I could probably disable noise reduction in lightroom but still apply geometry corrections for the export to Photo AI. Then do the noise reduction on the demosaiced and geometry corrected image in Photo AI. TBH this path feels a bit wonky, it requires to split the LR edit workflow into two steps: raw-adjustments light white balance before topaz ai and other adjustments after photo ai. Also, noise reduction results are probably inferior. So overall, I’d prefer if this worked when using File > Plug-in Extras > Process with Topaz Photo.

I have reached out to some of the developers for more information about the problem you are having with this workflow. I will be sure to let you know on this thread once I have received more information.