Ongoing product value and paid upgrades

I understand the motivation, and can’t really argue with it, but on the other hand, I have bought a number of your products over the years BECAUSE I knew I could always upgrade them for free. It sets you apart from some of the other companies that charge a lot every year for an updated version. There needs to be a happy medium, and I am not sure that you are there yet. What happens with the “orphan” products? Are you still going to support them? Are you going to merge them with some of the others? If you DO decide to merge them, then I think that first upgrade should still be free, whenever it occurs. As for the others, I think you should at least endeavor to keep them working and free of bugs, even if you do not add features. Finally, AI is nice and all, but my experience was that Mask AI was not as good for my purposes as the regular Remask. You need to fix AI so that it also can do the same things the other Remask can do rather than limit what it can do to just the AI (which is absolutely not intelligent for what I attempted to do)

1 Like

I understand economics – that’s why I purchased AI Gigapixel.

Hi

I am pretty disappointed on getting to know that we need to pay for upgrades in the future.

Personally, I purchased these products only because I didn’t have to pay for any future upgrades - ever. You are reneging from your original promise. I believe you have misled us by advertising in this fashion.

If you think it is not viable for you and you want to change your policy, it would be fair to sell the software to your future clients with the upgrade clause clearly mentioned so that people get to know about the upgrades even before they buy the software. You cannot punish your existing customers by applying your new policy.

I do have Adobe CS6 but have not subscribed to the Adobe CC versions because of their model. That is the reason I switched to Topaz.

From the way it is panning out, I think you are heading Adobe’s way. It definitely in not fair and ethical.

5 Likes

You may want to raise a separate thread in Technical Support section of this Forum and explain your issue. Other users here may be able to offer a workflow that works for you.

I talked to Customer Support for a while. There is no question that the software needed tweaking. Following their instructions did NOT produce an adequate mask. Maybe if I had really painted carefully like with the previous software, but probably not. In my case, whenever I tried to fix the mask by adding or removing something, it responded by adding or removing something else at the same time that should not have been removed or added!

1 Like

I use Corel Paint Shop Pro- no annual fee and after new versions are out awhile price drops to around $24. Got 2020 and Painter 2019 and more on Humble Bundle for $25.

2 Likes

I agree with Johnnychirley-90670

I’ve been using Paint Shop Pro almost since it’s inception and swear by it. It’s interface has changed very little over the years and it does what it says it can do. It has accepted almost every plug-in out there and thensome. Getting the 2020 version AND Painter for $25 is absolutely awesome.

3 Likes

I agree and am disappointed that those of us who have been customers for a while now have the rules changed on us. I can see moving forward making the changes for new customers, but why those of us who are already customers. Sends a bad message and I think it is a bad business move. How do we know what you say and claim today - will not change tomorrow.? I also agree, that many times the functionality of Studio is hit and miss. Anytime I have purchased an ADD-On it, too, has functionality issues. But yet, I have stayed with Topaz and purchased additional items. VERY DISAPPOINTED

5 Likes

Instead of doing this, why don’t you figure out a way to stop people from using new e mail accounts to get the products FREE, track IP’S or something. Making paid owners pay for upgrades is silly when so many are using this software for free for months or years!!!
Make this a monthly subscription for new members and grandfather in the paid owners.

2 Likes

Pointless. Software thieves never buy it. Thwart one hack and they’ll find another.

The solution, if there is one, is nowhere as simple as you suggest - if it was then everyone would have fixed it by now.

Thank you! Finally it works properly.

1 Like

After reading recent comments, I agree with those who think that dropping the older product line was a mistake. They had capabilities the AI products don’t replicate, were far less resource-intensive (and therefore required less powerful computers), and much, much faster. The AI products are so slow on a Dell XPS 15 that I never try to make further adjustments. Even if I did, the level of control over effect changes is very limited–much more so than the old product line where effects could easily be refined.

10 Likes

To that end, I would love it if the legacy products were also supported. They do most of what I need and I expect there are plenty of users who would bypass the AI products exactly for the reasons you said… resourcing. Not everyone can afford (essentially) a gaming computer to edit photos. Those that can are serious hobbyists or professionals.

So thinking of the AI products as ‘Topaz Pro’ and the legacy products as ‘Topaz Classic’. It would allow the company to grow and compete in the market they want and need, but still provide the products to users who don’t need all the AI power.

8 Likes

Hi Sandra,

I believe the following quote from the original message answers this question.

Hi Kim,

The upgrade policy applies to DeNoise AI, Sharpen AI, Gigapixel AI and Mask AI regardless of whether they were purchased independently or as a part of a bundle.

I have been using Topaz products for over 10 years, I am not a professional just an enthusiastic amateur and I have always wondered how free upgrades made any economic sense, although I was grateful for them! Recently, because I already had some Topaz software I was able to download, for free, 3 of the new AI products.

I am not in business so perhaps this is an oversimplification, but how can a company continue to give away its products and expect to stay solvent and produce new software?

I understand the dismay and anger that some here apparently feel but we also have to be reasonable. Yes Topaz promised free upgrades, promised, not contracted, and they have had to go back on that promise but what, for me at least, seem reasonable economic reasons. They have admitted their mistake, if that is not acceptable to some so be it.

I am sure there will be much discussion about the cost of the upgrade and perhaps they do seem rather high, I am not in a position to judge. When the time comes I will consider it then, until then, and after if necessary, I will continue to use the excellent products I already have.

1 Like

Good Afternoon,

We are always happy to reset a trial (within reason).
If we have released significant updates and you’d like to try it again, just submit a support ticket and let us know!

I’m 67, retired and I never used photography for earning money. I know my financial problems is not your concern, why would you worry about those who won’t bring permanent profit to you? The thing is I would never buy Topaz, though I like it, if I knew I would need to pay annually, I just can’t afford many things that look tempting to me. You are men of your word, which probably means: you gave it and being a master of it take it back. But how about your reputation, or is being trustworthy nothing but a mere word?

6 Likes

Hi…I’m a user and wanted to clarify…You do not have to pay annually. The software you purchased is yours to use as long as you like or as long as whatever operating system you have supports it without paying another dime. However, if upgrades are made to the app down the road, you would have to pay to get them after the grace period has ended. You would have to decide whether the upgrades are worth it or not to you. If not, you’d just continue using the app as you have been. It’s no different than what most software companies have offered all along…what’s better than most is that Topaz retains the legacy file on their site if you have to download it again.

1 Like