Ongoing product value and paid upgrades

Eric, I get what you are doing and am behind your plan because you are right, your focus on new products was misguided thus leading to multiple products doing similar or the same things. I am please you worked out a plan to transition everyone in a reasonable manner, not requiring those of us who have been with you for a while to immediately go into an paid update. Well Done!

1 Like

Ok. I understand the rationale. Can you please notify us when the expiration dates tor our current products have been posted on the Topaz website?

Thanks.

8 Likes

Good questions…Thanks

Eric,

I fully understand your position on future upgrades needing to be chargable as you have a business to support and as you say above software development is not cheap.

However, as other posters have already mentioned when you release a revamped/ new software package, its essential its been properly tested and has a full suite of operational features which at least equal and ideally supplement the previous version. Currently that is not the case with Denoise AI for example which shouldn’t have been released in its current form and is still awaiting a patch/ upgrade for it to work correctly without further user intervention to remove spurious files.

I’ve used Topaz software for several years and until recently I’ve alway been impressed with what it does, unfortunately recent updates have led to me changing my opinion. I’d suggest you need to be proactive in addressing the shortfalls in your current software packages before you start charging for updates.

You also need to get your support back to the position it used to be in where tickets got answered quickly and helpfully. I raised one on DeNoise AI 2 shortly after you released it in January and I’ve not heard anything back from you?

5 Likes

I’m with you on this diverdon55 I would think that there are more than a few lawyers that would be eager to start a class action case against Topaz Labs.

14 Likes

Eric:
Completely Understand. I do not have a problem paying for upgrades providing there is solid added
VALUE. Any idea what you expect to charge for upgrades? Will you discount upgrade pricing as you have done in the past with new product purchase around holidays? It would also be helpful for customers to have some insight into your product vision and development which would help clients decide if they want to upgrade or possibly wait until the next release. Otherwise, love the products and their simplicity to use.

I’m retired and a hobbyist photographer. Photoshop suits most of my needs. I can’t afford your new pricing approach and purchased free lifetime upgrades. I don’t need extra things added on to basic functions. Gigapixel is my most liked and occasionally used product. Sharpen, Mask, and Denoise AIs aren’t used much and are unlikely to be upgraded with payment.
You pricing model is fine for professionals, not me.

17 Likes

Eric,

Change is seldom easy to take, but often good in the long-run. This is one of those situations.

I’m a Loooooong Time user and until today, I did not know you, whom I’ve met at trade shows, was the CEO. HA…

You’ve helped us Create art, fix productions, differentiate our work, and even solve a Murder Case.

You and your wonderful Topaz team deserve the best and it is only right that you switch to a model that allows you to support your people while having the income to drive updates and enhancements.

Love what you do… Keep doing it and we’ll accept the upgrade charges knowing we’re better for it, in the long run.

Thank you,
Bob

4 Likes

Before thinking about changing the update policies, they should offer a product that works well. I hope that the next Gigapixel update will be free for me. I have not been able to use the program for more than 4 months since it breaks when I upload the photo to 1 % and the solution they give in technical support does not work.

7 Likes

will someone from Topaz reach out and let me know what owe to get support,

As new program go under the program, how will they be handled.

BTW - I welcome this type of support. Rather than a small charge for each program, one flat fee.

1 Like

No long reaction or comment. Just not happy with the policy. As a consumer I get to decide if what you offer is valid, fair and worth investing in. While you had my loyalty so far, this certainly puts a wrinkle in my decisions going forward.
DTA

13 Likes

I bought your product(s) on the strength of trials and the review literature out there. Frankly I was unaware (and not ashamed of the implied cluelessness) of the free upgrade policy extant. I expected major upgrades to cost me something, as they do from every significant vendor/developer of truly useful performance software. So your announcement is neither a surprise nor does it provoke resentment. Rather, it makes sound business sense, and somehow ensures the perpetuation of the same high level of technological prowess from you.

1 Like

If you are asking me to pay an annual fee, then any upgrade during that period is not free. Better to say “included in the price”.

And I do hope such change makes DeNoise and Adjust AI faster. I find the processing speed to be quite slow on a fast iMac.

5 Likes

Bought AI sharpen in november, I cannot install it on my 2009 iMac due to some fault in the installation program. I’m waiting for a new install program from you, probably in march. I hope that when the program works that start date will be reset to actual installation date?

BR

/Anders

Like so many others, I don’t use the products to make money. I use them in my free time. The only reason why I purchased Topaz products is because of the free upgrades for life. Although I understand your situation from a financial standpoint, I don’t see why I should have to fix what you didn’t do correctly. On one extreme I feel like just asking for ALL my money back and not use Topaz anymore. The other extreme is to having to pay yearly like for adobe. BUT I own all the last perpetual licenses for my adobe products because I hate the subscription concept. I am, however willing to help keeping the company alive. But as a very grandfathered in person, I expect you to cut us oldtimers a deal! And better be sure you get your legal issues straight! Purchasing from you had me enter in a contract with you. You may not change that without my consent.

36 Likes

Guess it was bound to happen. But I agree with the reader who said that upgrades need to be FULLY tested before release for pay. The recent example of the Mask AI debacle comes to mind. Remask 5 is still a much more functional product for masking areas of overlap opacities; e.g. wedding veils etc. Haven’t seen any more motion on fixing the Mask AI in months!! I use a combination of add-ins. I use Topaz in conjunction with DxO Photo Lab 3 and PS CS6. Yes, not gonna pay a subscription service for using software. Same with you guys if you’re thinking of going that way someday!! Fixed income retiree can’t afford all these monthly “luxuries”. I’ll just hafta see how this plan goes. But I understand the need for taking away the freebies. Knew it wouldn’t last. Good luck. One more thing, our original licences should be good if we need to reinstall say, on a new MoBo or upgraded OS right?

3 Likes

I agree wholeheartedly. In fact I just purchased both bundles for all 7 applications this week and I am going to ask for a refund. Part of the decision to go all in was the updates.

8 Likes

Sorry to say I can’t agree with your decision. Your up front costs a few years ago were considered high with the thought process that lifetime upgrades would be free. Your software does work well but is still in need of improvements, especially relating to processing speeds. Years ago it was even slower, and without the lifetime upgrades it just wasn’t worth the price you charged. I’m not sure how this will work out for you. Common sense would indicate that you might get some resistance from your customers who have been with you a while for changing your policy from the original purchase time. That is pretty much like making a deal with someone and not following through on it. Good luck with your decision.

21 Likes

How About a Compromise?

Thank you for explaining your reasoning for making these changes. However, as most people have pointed out, the selling point of Topaz, especially from the in-person reps at shows trying to sell the software was “we never charge for upgrades” or “upgrades are always free.” While I understand your reasoning, you have essentially violated the trust and promises your company made with your existing customers when you sold them your software.

So, I would like to propose a compromise to you for your existing customers that had purchased
software prior to making this announcement. Why not grant your existing customers a lifetime 50% upgrade discount on the pricing you proposed in your message? This way you still generate revenue from the new customers as well as your existing, loyal customers while at the same time showing your existing customers that you do care about them and are not treating them the same as you would any other new customer.

By offering a compromise, you will have less people walking away from your software the way many did with Adobe’s subscription service and your existing customers who were promised free upgrades will at least feel like you do care about them and are willing to work with them; after all, their loyalty essentially helped build your company. . .

Edit:

Before I get hit with a bunch of negative responses about compromising and broken promises, let me be clear that I do not agree with what the company is doing by going back on their promise of free upgrades for life – I consider it a Bait and Switch. I also understand what he is saying about development costs, but with that being said, they have to do a much better job of fixing what they currently have and being more responsive to its customers and the issues they experience. The model the company started with of free upgrades was without a doubt, unrealistic and the wrong way to go, but in order to fix it and improve the products they have, they need to be able to hire and pay developers. While the selling point over the years has been free upgrades, that model is most likely financially unsustainable, which resulted in the message we are all responding to.

Optimally, it would be great if Topaz Labs would just grandfather their existing customers for the programs they currently own and not charge for upgrades, but I doubt that would ever happen based on his message, which is why I offered up the suggestion of a compromise. Yes, being free for life would be great and Yes, you can walk away and never user their software again, but if you like their software and use it, a compromise is at least better than what the company is offering its existing customers now.

38 Likes

It sounds like your naive approach to running a successful software company has come to bite you in the ass. Your products are sloppy, slow, and often fail to load. As a former software developer with over 30 years experience, I can tell you that no successful software company has taken your approach, especially with software under $100. Upgrades without fees is called Freeware, which is usually buggy and often forgotten. Your software is buggy, your next move will determine if you’re forgotten.

7 Likes