Ongoing product value and paid upgrades

Yes, you can still use it, but only in the current state, when the upgrade period ends. And we have learned in the last months, that the last version is not always the best.

Part of the AI concept is that it can learn and adapt to get better results, when I bought the software it was my understanding that I buy the software and get at least unlimited access to improvements of the AI model.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s true.

Let’s hope by August they have ironed out many of the bugs that some users are being affected by. For some reason my installations are working well - I wonder if it is to do with graphics card compatibility?

The main concern’issue regarding this is how bug fixes versus upgrades will be handled.

For example, I now have Gigapixel AI and am experiencing some bug related issues with it. 6 months from now a new version comes out yet the version I now own continues to have the bug issues. Upgrades to me are new releases along with new features. Although I hate losing the current setup, I can respect charging customers for upgrades (as in new version changes).

But in the example I have illustrated here, if the bug fixes are in the new release version BUT won’t be added to my current version, then in effect I will be semi forced to upgrade to fix the bugs. That foir me is not acceptable.

But I suspect a similar argument will ensue that once a new version is released it becomes cost ineffective to continue to support older versions.

At the end of the day there isn’t much reason to debate the new business model. TL has informed us of their decision, and each will be free to upgrade as they see fit. I do not foresee me paying $99 annually to maintain bug fixes.

3 Likes

The difference is that Topaz made a big deal out of the free updates for life. If they had not done so then I would not have bought so many modules.
I have a KIA with a 7 year warranty. Can KIA legally write to me out of the blue and say that they have decided that they have changed it to only 1 year?
Kia would go out of business very quickly. I have Topaz will do the same.
I hate being swindled…

2 Likes

I too have been a daily Topaz user for some time and have paid for most of the products on offer. I wont be upgrading under the new arrangement.
To me ‘free upgrades’ were something that should have been factored in to the original costs (which weren’t cheap). It’s not like they were just giving them away.
To me a grandfather clause and honoring an existing contract is basic ethics and good business in respecting users. I have recommended Topaz to others in the past but have now gone cold on that idea. I agree with others that fixing existing bugs is not a new version worth releasing as an upgrade Unless there is something new, I don’t pay for ‘upgrades’.
One thing often not mentioned is overseas users. We face currency conversions as well. $99 a year to me today in Oz would be AU $147. How many US users would want to pay that a year yet to me $147 means the same to me as to you. We have been nearly equal currency in the past: it’s just the vagaries of finance that says these things may not be ‘equal’ at times.
I have already drifted from being the loyal Topaz user I used to be. I LOVE Studio 1, and Studio 2 just doesn’t offer the features I use everyday - nor do I like it as much overall. I wonder how long that be before Studio 1 also becomes unusable due to Microsoft upgrade incompatibilities, or issues reinstalling when I upgrade hardware.
The release of ReMask AI was a big turning point as it was such a poor product on release, the support for redeeming my store credits was messy and unhelpful, and in the end I deleted it and wouldn’t buy again even if improved.
I am just really saddened by the whole thing. I would rather look at other software than pay for the upgrades suggested.

5 Likes

Yes, good point. For releases that are, shall we say, a little premature then getting access to updates is more about functionality than features. No one really likes to continually pay to only fix defects. That is one reason that the no-cost minor-version and upgrade-cost major-version model often strikes a good balance.

3 Likes

I understand why this change was made from a business perspective; however, like some of your other customers, I too feel somewhat “taken” because when I purchased the product(s) I was told there would be no charge for future upgrades. I find it odd that prior purchases are not “grandfathered.”

2 Likes

Thank you:)

1 Like

Hi Eric,
Whilst this move will disgruntle many customers I understand it fully.
As a photographer, for my architectural imaging, I work on a licensing system. This means my customers may use the image(s) I shot and provided only under the conditions as laid down in their licence.
Exactly what they may use the image for depends on what type of licence they purchase. They are NOT purchasing the image but paying a fee to use it.
This is renewable as laid down in the licence. If they do not renew the licence then they may NOT use the image(s) any further. To do so would subject them to legal consequences.

Before I ever commit to using a product I do a great amount of trying it out. I looked to not only presently but the future of a particular app. If it looked good to me I committed myself to it. The only thing I have seen up to this time has been the many different apps that need to be updated on a regular bases and it would take me hours to do same. I have been using Adobe products for many years without these types of upgrade problems as they have one app that knows what I have and if I wish updates of their products that I have for a set user app cost. No bother to me except it takes time even with the standard products I normally use. I am always up to date by just saying to Adobe to update yes or no. So, with this potential problem with Topaz products then adding having to do even more things that I will have to do and make decisions on with a yes or no to specific Topaz products leads me to say I am very disappointed with Topaz when it comes to making it easy for your users. So, just trying to keep the latest apps loaded with repeated up loads of a variety of apps makes your apps unwieldy to say the least then having to pay for this or that app is not what I signed up for. Sorry if management did not work things out for the important people in your organization and that is your users. If I had the ability to see what you were going to happen after I started using your apps I would not have started.

3 Likes

I bought your products after seeing them at WPPI…I thought how great this is…“free upgrades for life” It’s sldo on print on your website…how can you go back on your own words? For new customers I can understand this , but not for exciting customers…
How about giving your customers their money back? How about a refund or honoring the original deal: Or providing free 24-hr telephone tech support for the original customers free of charge?

1 Like

Please raise s support request at the main website, this is a user to user forum.

I also will be talking to the PPA about this.

1 Like

That was uncalled for!

Why would that be uncalled for, the member is asking for a refund. Those requests can be made through customer support not the user forum.

1 Like

I understand this move and am fine with it. My concern is that it appears Studio 2 is being neglected as you focus all your attention on AI. For example Studio 2 still does not have the capability of handling multiple photos at once for compositing. I would be willing to pay for upgrades to Studio 2, but as of yet it has not even been given the capacity that the original Studio had.

Dean Katerndahl

3 Likes

That’s the end of the friendship for me. Won’t be upgrading. Will stick with DXO Photolab and PRIME noise reduction and Perfectly Clear.

Thanks for the underhanded treatment of your formerly loyal customers.

Not sure i’ve ever seen so rapid an alienation of a customer base.

Good Luck

5 Likes

It appears that there is censorship being applied to this User Forum. I just noticed that one of my postings has been removed and the number of posting is reducing in number.

1 Like

Sandra is spot on. We paid for the lifetime updates. I have no problem with new customers paying for their upgrades. The sales people for this software used the lifetime updates as a huge selling point, and that was one of the major determining factors in my purchase. I was told it would be free lifetime updates, not “free updates until Topaz realizes it is a mistake”

3 Likes

That wasn’t a request, it was the same as 50 others have done here, making a series of suggestions to combat what we see as betrayal. Looks to me you all are starting to get sensitive over the criticism.