Ongoing product value and paid upgrades

I’m happy to pay a yearly “subscription” fee. Every other software maker out there does that, some by releasing a new version, some by charging a monthly fee.

I much prefer a yearly fee with updates happening as they do, rather than waiting for a new version, in this way we continue to get the best all the time.

99 dollars a year for life. You’ve got to be kidding.

6 Likes

I bought DeNoise 1. It has no masking, no batch and it has very few handles to adjust what gets obliterated and what stays. But I figured buy in and it will improve… not knowing I would have to pay in a year just to get a mask function.

2 Likes

Obviously you haven’t updated to DeNoise AI v2.xx … try and see if it answers what you are looking for. There is no upgrade fee yet.

One concern that I’ve not seen mentioned or addressed by Eric back in February with regard to the upcoming paid upgrades policy is:

What happens when using a product, if one chooses not to upgrade and/or decides to delay upgrading? If I don’t have an upgrade license because I chose not to upgrade, will the software prompt me every time I run it that an update is available? What happens if I accidentally update after my license has “expired”; can I downgrade back to a version covered by my license?

Since I have a couple of products expiring in August, I’m starting to think about how all this is going to work, if I choose not to buy an additional year of updates. Yes, I know the products don’t actually expire and that I’m free to use them for as long as they’ll run without an update.

Thank you all for any thoughts or insight provided.

2 Likes

Idk, but I hope they get a plan for that soon because the current approach of constant nagging whether you want to update or not is annoying as heck. And now there will be an added wrinkle of whether one is even eligible to update. Hopefully, logic will be implemented on the server side license checks.

1 Like

Glad to hear this Eric! First and foremost, your business model should be sustainable.

Just another Suggestion for Topaz:

Perhaps it would make sense to Grandfather In those customers who have purchased Topaz software prior to the Announcement that Updates/Upgrades will expire within a Unit time (1 year).

This would somewhat satisfy early purchasers and allow new purchasers to understand the New Contract Update Limitations.

3 Likes
  1. have to differentiate between “update for bug fix and/or AI functionality improvement” and “upgrade for new features”.

2. the original promise is lifetime update; meaning lifetime update for bug fix and improvement for AI functionality over time. So lifetime free update for bug fix and AI functionality improvement is part of the original promise and TL have to acknowledge this for whatever reason/cost. Promise is promise; is a legal bound duty. I clearly remember that when TL debut the AI concept, the idea was that the AI functionality would improve over time, and the early purchase would guarantee that the value would only improve in the future.

3. to charge for upgrade to new feature is reasonable, and is necessary to keep the company alive.

4. there are two business models to keep a company alive or to keep it to grow, viz constantly charge existing customers and constantly expand the customer base. Constantly charge existing customers may not be the most optimistic business model, as this will for sure decrease the customer base. A company will only feel the pressure to charge existing customers should the company find that it is difficult to further expand its customer base. Think about why TL cannot further expand its customer base, why not more people buy TL products, why people prefer other products on the market rather than TL products - all these imo more important than think of ways how to charge more from existing customers.

2 Likes

You make some good points. I’m not sure I can think of a way to differentiate the two different “update” scenarios (not bug fix) though. At what point does an AI improvement become a new feature?
It would cost more to have two different branches of code - one with only “AI functionality” and another with “new features” - and since they’re obviously trying to make more money that goes against their goal.

As for your last point, you’re absolutely correct. Unfortunately, the quick, easy fix they have chosen is to break their promise and start charging for updates. While they seem to believe that is the answer to all of their problems, I am afraid it will simply be the start of their problems.

2 Likes

Is it only those 4 products? What about topaz Studio and topaz Adjust? Will full installers be available for all by the end of July?

1 Like

Just a few paragraphs below the bit you quoted:

For couriosity even at least GigaPixel as often mentioned before has clearly been advertised with free lifetime upgrades and updates until August 2019 when I bought it.

1 Like

Let’s not overlook the fact that as late as October 2019, Topaz’s Facebook page was touting that they were proud to offer free upgrades for life for their products … despite Eric’s statement that they were no longer advertising free upgrades. October 2019 is when they announced Mask AI. The only new software after Mask AI has been their video product, so every other product was announced and sold under the free upgrades for life banner.

How do I know it was October 2019? Because I pointed it out to Topaz during a Facebook, chat and phone exchange centered around charging owners of ReMask for Mask AI. They claimed ReMask was a brand new tool, different from ReMask because it uses AI. I pointed out their marketing material (e.g., webinars) and website (in their support portal) explicitly called it an upgrade to ReMask … and that they were still actively touting free upgrades (on their Facebook page). In addition, they had set some precedence by treating other AI software as upgrades to non-AI products (e.g., Sharpen AI), so the new algorithms defense seemed a little tenuous. The purpose and the UI between ReMask and Mask AI are essentially identical (tools moved from the left side to the right side), so distinguishing them as different tools seems shady … and why stop selling ReMask as soon as Mask AI was released if they really are different tools? Their response as to delete some of the Facebook exchanges and end communications.

I have no issue with Topaz changing how they do business. If they want to charge future customers for upgrades, that’s fine. But, they initially announced all of their tools (with the exception of the new video one) while touting free upgrades for life (at a minimum, on their Facebook page, but others have also reported being told it as a sales point at conference booths) … they should honor their proud pledge for existing customers. It seems many customers (myself included) made a decision to pay a specific price with an understanding that it came with free upgrades.

edited for grammar

11 Likes

Well said Brad, I agree with you 100%

7 Likes

Can someone from Topaz Labs please give us and update of the future of Topaz Labs products? What are the current plans? Fixing current products? New products? Update of roll outs of Topaz Studio-Some products are in Studio, some are not and some new products are “stand alone”, are there any updates or status on this, and if so what is this status? What are the current updates/plans for the future as well as long range plans. Is Topaz Labs still a company? Who is still working at Topaz Labs? Is anyone working on these issues-tickets? Why isn’t anyone answering the many posts on here and FB etc?
I feel that we as long-term committed customers we need to understand where we have invested our $$$$ and the hope for the future of our investment. As a long time customer I have been patiently waiting for the old Topaz Labs to return. The plugins products were great, Customer service was great and people great.! Topaz webinars were great and when asked why they offered free upgrades: We at Topaz rather investing in our customer rather than pay big for marketing. By keeping our current customers happy, they are the best marketing we could pay for. Word of mouth marketing is the best $ we could spend.

I have almost all of your products, I never missed a webinar, helped with beta and have been I’m hoping for 2-3 years now that the greatness will return. Also, this is not a hate post or anything close to that, I’m just looking to know the plans or I need to move on, which I don’t want to do. I loved the creative touch TL adds to my photography and as a PSE user, TL gave me effects and I didn’t have in the full Photoshop which was great. But as a photographer I need a product to work and not cause extra time and hassle.

Thank you for your understanding and we hope we get a reply to the many questions and if there is a post or another place that I have missed- I’m sorry I missed it, but please let me know.
Thanks again.

5 Likes

@Barb1315 This thread will enlighten you to the future plans of Topaz Labs

1 Like

Thank you but no enlightenment for me. (Although I do agree with Brad_photo) that’s a separate issue.

My request for information from Topaz Labs are :
1)- having a product/software that I have already paid for work. (not about upgrade)
For a few examples, my Adjust AI is greyed out and doesn’t work, my remask doesn’t work and many and after using other TL effects all the same products of halos, pixels, noise I don’t know what geek work you want to call–product bugs , I call it not working as purchased.

2)- At one point my first purchased a plugin software, then Fusion, Fusion Express 2 , PhotoFXlab, Classic Studio, then to Studio 2, then AI everything and now it seems to stand alone AI products. Is Studio 2 still being worked on? If you don’t upgrade what happens to the products you just purchased? Is Studio 2 a thing or is something else going to be developed and we will have to again be charged $99 to make what we already spend $99 to make it work. ?? All these changes to the original 16 plugins and charging more $$$money along the way. And always creating processing and result problem.

3)- There are some of the older products that TL said was going to be added to Studio 2, like restyle, Lens eff, B&W, clean?? . Again products already purchased. These have been hanging for years. What is the plan? IS TL going to add a AI to them to charge us more $$$. ??

4)- TL use to have a list (again not sure of the “correct” word) but customers were give an update of the A)- new features and nice to have items, B) product Bugs & fixed and development issues etc… and C) a timeline of when to expect results. Companies back when I was a user working with software techs had them and would provide information, status update to our customers. Shouldn’t customers know the terms of the items they purchased? And what protects the customer from changing the rules again?

1. So to quote eric2, "It’s been a while since our last post–9 mon ago from Feb 13, 2020. Not about upgrades (separate issue) but the part in his post that says “Again, this was not a quick or easy decision to make, but we think it’s a necessary one in order for us to deliver massive value for you in the future. All I ask of you is that you give us a chance to prove this through our product improvements in 2020 and beyond.” This is now July 15, 2020, where is our massive value and what is our future? All during this time since Classic Studio /Studio 2, these products don’t work as marketed–just look at all the product bugs. TL extend date is August 2020 and again these products don’t work as promised. I can’t understand how any of that is legal, that is what customers need to be enlightened on.

2. So shouldn’t there be a date given by TL that states you have purchased this product, on this date, it is fully functionable no problems and as of that date your upgrade pay us more money clock begins? Because using the dates in Eric2 post, it doesn’t (at least to me) addresses the issue that TL hasn’t delivered a product that works and customers would be constantly paying for product bug, crashes, no longer compatible, or whatever bug which just means you bought a product that doesn’t work and keep giving us more money or we don’t have to deal with you. These products have been in the “beta” testing stage during all this time, asking customers to help you make the product right, then as months go on and the time runs out – bam you ask your customers to pay more money if you want the product you already bought to work right?

3 Likes

Hi, if you look at the first post in this thread it will outline the affected products and the timeline, in summary " Starting in August 2020, we will charge for product upgrades to DeNoise AI, Sharpen AI, Gigapixel AI, and Mask AI.".

If you look at the list of legacy downloads on the main website it outlines the products that are no longer sold or supported:

Studio 2 is still a current product.

AIDon -

Barb (and I’m sure many others) would like a roadmap for the TL products, and many of us have asked (but not received answers to) what happens regarding existing, reported bugs in the effected products.

She has some very good points. Eric promised “massive value” and I personally have seen nothing, either in the capabilities or quality of the products. Words are meaningless, especially when the president of the company has broken his company’s promise. I was giving TL until August to prove what he promised, and that hasn’t happened yet. DeNoise AI 2.2.2 was just released with bugs that have existed since 2.0 was released in January (the same bug existed in early versions of JPEG to RAW but has been fixed there), but I will not be able to update it in a month.

I still believe that the model is a bad idea. I hope Topaz is around long enough to realize that and change it.

3 Likes