On Mac using Lightroom Classic, dragging a cropped dng image to Photo AI, final version is badly colored

The discoloration of a cropped dng image either dragged from Lightroom Classic or imported directly into Photo AI is severely discolored when reloaded into Lightroom and the sliders in Lightroom can’t even bring the image back to the correct color range.

Steps to reproduce issue:

1. Either drag dng file from the filmstrip to the Photo AI icon or open the dng file directly from the finder window.
  2. Process the photo in the Auto mode. Everything looks fine in Photo AI.
  3. To get the photo in Lightroom, sync the folder containing the image (same folder as the original dng). When it loads, it is severely discolored. Using Photo AI as a plugin in Photoshop returns a much better result.

Screenshot 2023-05-16 at 11.31.48 AM

Topaz Photo AI [v1.3.4] on [Mac v13.3.1.(a)]

@dfp1081-241724 Thanks for sharing this.

Are there any filters or masks applied in Lightroom before importing into Photo AI? Please make sure you reset any edits in Lightroom and then use the plugin for best results.

Is this only happening with RAW files? Color shifts are a known bug for some RAW files and we’re working on fixing that for a future release coming soon.

In the meantime, you can try using the Photo > Edit in > Topaz Photo AI workflow which will preserve color and process a TIF instead of a RAW.

Thanks for responding Tim and sorry it took so long to respond to your inquiry. There were no masks in Lightroom and no filters, just some basic corrections. The same thing happens on other photos as well when I attempt to use a dng file directly into Photo AI. There are no issues with the app when using as a plug-in in Photoshop. I’ve used the dng directly (or via Lightroom by dragging from the film strip to Photo AI) previously and it worked most of the time, but now it doesn’t seem to work. I was following the Topaz instruction for better quality DeNoise & Sharpening by using the application directly with the dng file. I’ll test it periodically and when it’s fixed I will begin using it regularly.

Thanks for the additional context! Yes, please do check periodically as we are actively improving the Photo AI’s functionality as a plugin to other image editors.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.