Noise Removal / add Descreen

Hi Guys,
I love Photo AI, but I am often not satisfied with Remove Noise. It would be great to recognise and remove noise of old photos or video stills that have this “cloudy” noise artefacts. It would be also great to add a Descreen function to remove print halftone patterns.

Thanks. Best
Carsten

Hi Carsten, thanks for your feedback – unfortuantely, Topaz Photo AI has only been trained to work with photographs from modern digital cameras, and has not been designed to work on film scans or scans of printwork. This may change in the future, but right now this is not a case that we intended our software to be compatible with.

The new Noise Removal Strong v2 (beta) option completely removes moire screening (due to scan of old photo with textured surface). The setting needs to be adjusted manually to final optimal removal point. It’s utterly amazing. No more Fast Fourier Tranforms!

1 Like

ok cool. will try this. its just often tooo smooth on the skins.

Hi Preston,

thanks for your reply.
Ok I understand. but what would be also awesome is to try to optimise hands as well. Very often the photos i enhance have terrible hands.
I know its the hardes for AI to fix them but there are new models out there that can fix that a way better.

Thanks and keep up the great work. love your software

best
Carsten

Hi Walter - you mentioned that “the new Noise Removal Strong v2 (beta) option completely removes moire screening” and I wondered if that was in the Photoshop Beta v2? Could you share your settings? Thanks, Lysa

Lysa, not Photoshop. Topaz Photo AI. It’s not automatic. You will need to activate the Remove Noise function. The beta I referred to earlier has now been incorporated into the latest update. Within the Remove Noise function, select Stong. Then under Strength, slowly increase the strength until the moire patterning is gone. I achieved this for my particular photo patterning at a value of “26”. If you go too high you will introduce other artifacts. It will take some time to find the optimal Strength setting. Also I had another image badly corrupted with patterning that did require a quick pass with an FFT function (using GIMP) followed up with what I just described. Good luck!

1 Like

Hi Walter! Thanks so much for your fast response. I haven’t had the time to try out your tips; hopefully this weekend. I read somewhere that PhotoAI is really only for digital photos - have you experienced that? Seems to me that if you can make the tweaks you suggested that it isn’t true. Best, Lysa

I don’t know if it’s only for “digital photos” but I can understand it looks like it’s being developed as a “one stop shop” for most people who shoot on their cell phone. Personally, my current “GoTo” is Gigapixel AI for jaw-dropping general image restoration and enlargement (my artwork (viewable at Zoomable Watercolor Gallery --be sure to ZOOM in (see instructions on web page)!) is designed to print at 16"x20" so I need my digital images to be crisp & razor sharp with 4800px X 6000px (after cropping). However, from my personal experience, Photo AI is being developed faster than Gigapixel so some tasks (moire removal, facial restoration) can work better than with Gigapixel AI or Denoise AI alone.