New Photo AI 3.0.2 update doesn't stack output image with original in Lightroom. Overwrites original

I updated Photo AI to 3.0.2 and now when I export back into Lightroom, it doesn’t create a separate copy with the edits in order to stack with original, it simply overwrites the original. To make matters worse, Lightroom then complains “metadata was edited by an outside application” and makes be choose between overwriting catalog metadata or reading from disk. A third symptom is that I can now see the sharpened image (the overwritten original) but when I go into Develop mode in Lightroom to make further adjustments, the image I see loses the sharpening done in Photo AI. Switching back to “Library” mode in Lightroom allows me to see the sharpened images again, very strange.

Steps to reproduce issue:

for the first issue on overwriting the original:

1. Take image in Lightroom and go to File → Plugin-Extras → Process With Topaz Photo AI
  2. Sharpen image in Photo AI
  3. Export photo back into lightroom
  4. In lightroom, the original DNG got overwritten with the new processed image instead of created a separate copy and stacking them.

For the second related issue of Develop mode losing the sharpening exported from Photo AI

1. In Lightroom, select the image exported from Photo AI and hit the “D” key to enter the Develop mode
  2. The sharpening (and probably other edits done in Photo AI) is lost and the image is soft again.
  3. Hit the G button to exit the develop mode, back to “Gallery/Library” mode and the sharpening shows again.

Topaz Photo AI v3.0.2 on Mac

I’m on a PC with WIn10 PRO and I don’t see issue #2.

1 Like

Thanks. Issue #2 seems to have gone away for some reason. Issue #1 is still there though.

Agreed - it’s great that they’ve fixed Nikon D850 colour shift but it’s back to v2.4.2 I go again! Thank god I have backups of my library - overwriting the original is an unbelievable faux-pas - surely the software is tested before release? Seems not.

If you are receiving any error messages while trying to use the Lightroom Classic plugin, please take a screenshot and send that in to us so we can get a better understanding to help troubleshoot.

To get a better understanding of the workflow you are using please take a screen recording of this behavior so I can see exactly what is happening.

Loom is a great free application for this: Loom | Free Screen & Video Recording

A post was merged into an existing topic: Problem with plugin Lightroom Classic en DNG Raw file