Needed Photo AI Improvements

I guess this is the place to plead for needed improvements in Photo AI, so here it goes…

Generally I think Photo AI is an OK application. It does what it does moderately to fairly well some of the time, although results are not necessarily very consistent.

And know I’m probably spitting in the wind to hope that you would abandon PhotoAI in favor of a renewed effort to enhance and support DeNoise AI and Sharpen AI (It kind of broke my heart when you abandoned DAI and SAI in favor of putting all your eggs in the PAI basket - those stand-along tools really were very good and I really liked them.)

That said, I think for PAI to be considered a serious processing tool for dedicated enthusiast and professional photographers it needs some significant improvements. At a minimum I think it needs the following:

I. More than anything else, YOU NEED TO ENABLE A FEATURE THAT ALLOWS ME TO SAVE MY WORK AND COME BACK TO IT LATER if I’m unable to complete processing an image in a single sitting. As it is, I have to do all masking, sharpening, noise reduction and resizing in a single session. If I get interrupted or need to stop processing and image for any reason, I can’t save my work and come back to it later. This is ESPECIALLY TRUE if I’m doing any sort of sophisticated masking. It’s very frustrating that this tool doesn’t have such a basic feature.

II. Speaking of masking, the masking capability in PAI needs a major overhaul. As it is, what is provided is very basic and toy-like compared to the sophisticated masking capabilities in other processing tools such as Lightroom and Photoshop. At a minimum, to be a professional-level tool the PAI masking capability needs the following improvements:

1. Allow multiple masks to be created and deleted for the photo being processed. Each mask needs to be independent of any other masks created for the photo, and the amounts of sharpening and noise reduction need to be adjustable separately for each mask.
  2. Allow mask overlays to be turned on and off with a hot key
  3. Allow the color and opacity of each mask overlay to be adjusted
  4. Implement a visual cue in the masking brush to show the radius of the feather
  5. Implement range masking based on color and luminosity
  6. Implement a way to invert a mask
  7. Implement a way to combine masks
  8. Implement a way to duplicate masks and to duplicate and invert masks
  9. Implement a way to delete a specific mask with out affecting the other masks
  10. Implement face detection for each mask

(If you want to see a really well executed version of the above capabilities look no farther than the masking tool in Lightroom Classic…)

III. I really miss the viewing capabilities that are present in Sharpen AI and Denoise AI, especially the Split View and comparison. I wish I had a way to compare side-by-side the various sharpening and denoise models in PAI like I did in those other tools. As it is I can only apply one model at a time, and I have no means other than my fallible memory of comparing the result of each model to choose the best one.

IV. The breadth and depth of adjustment capability that was present in Sharpen AI and Denoise AI for each AI model is missing from PAI. This needs to be added for serious processing.

V. The general theme of these requested improvement is STOP TRYING TO MAKE PHOTO AI A ONE-CLICK PROCESSING APPLICATION!!! Please give us back the level of sophisticated control for the sharpening and noise reduction capabilities that we had in what were already really quite good stand-alone tools in Sharpen AI and DeNoise AI. AND FOR GOD’S SAKE PLEASE LET ME SAVE MY WORK… AND FIX THAT BUSH LEAGUE MASKING TOOL!!!

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Thanks for writing in here and for all the ideas and suggestions!

Our developers regularly review and consider these requests as we develop the application to suit our users.

I think the capability you brought up about being able to save your work and come back to it would be great!

Make sure that you do not forget to vote for your idea :slight_smile: