Need help in deciding parts for upscale "server"

I’m currently looking to change up my server
i am currently using VEAI in a virtual machine that has a 3080 ti passed through but i think my cpu is also keeping me back (it’s an epyc 7402P so low clocks)

I’m planning making a new server that needs to be able to upscale but also run multiple vm’s.
I’m not able to make a seperate machine that only does upscaling so 12900k isn’t an option because of limited pcie lanes.

Would a threadripper Pro be a good option (i do need a lot of pcie lanes)
And should i keep my 3080 ti for upscaling or go for something like a 6900xt, 3090, w6800 or a5000

Before setting up multiple computers maybe try running two or three instances of VideoEnhance on the same GPU to speed up your processing. In this case saving to images and merge then to a video after completion is the way to go. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why did I never think of this… VEAI never fully utilizes my GPU and I never thought I could just run multiple instances.

Thank you!!

Say what?! LOL. The i9 12900k offers up to 4x PCIe 4.0 and 16x PCIe 5.0 lanes, delivering 20 lanes in total. That’s not enough?

I will try to do this when i’m upscaling next thx for the tip
I didn’t think of saving them as images does that change how much it uses the cpu?

Did you read what i said it’s a server running multiple vm’s, do you really think 20 lanes is a lot?
For example atm i have:
-2 x gpu’s in the server (one is a quadro for another vm and the 3080 ti for veai)
-1 x 10Gbit sfp+ ethernet card (intel x550-2S)
-1 x pcie x16 → 4x U.2 card
So that’s already higher than the 20 lanes

The CPU usage is still negligible with multiple VE AI running here. :slight_smile:

You may be forgetting the extra 20x PCI-e 4.0 lanes that come with the Alderlake chipset. That’s a lot of lanes altogether. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Saw your Threadripper Pro has 128 lanes. Respect! :+1:

Maybe you set VEAI to use reduced resources? For me, my i9 12900K will run at ca. 80% CPU on a full, single upscale to 4K.