Native Land

I went to a small PowWow last weekend. I love capturing the regalia and dances. This particular event is not the most exciting one I’ve attended, it’s participants are mainly people I’ve already photographed many times over and if it weren’t for dated files, yesterday could be today. Then I saw one woman I’d never seen before. She stood out from everyone else, her regalia magnificent…composed and carrying herself with a regal air.

13 Likes

Nicely collated …

1 Like

Beautiful…well done!

1 Like

I really like the way you collated the images and called it Native Land. I like to try doing something like this. Would you please tell me what Topaz applications you used?
Anita

1 Like

Stunning work …

1 Like

There is a hodge podge of different apps and resources used on this but Topaz Remask was the prime one and finished off in Studio with one of presets (not sure which). The woman is a photograph of the lady described brought into Simplify to remove some detail. Akvis Sketch was used to give her a hand-drawn look but it could have been done in Simplify as well. The animals were antique sketches from a resource I own…similar ones might be found through one of the creative common resources or useable public resources on line. Sizing adapted through layer manipulation. The background is a double layer of two textures available from Daily Textures. I wanted to emulate parchment or hide. The corners were burned to simulate aging and the curl at the top using PSP tools. I could have stopped at this point but I brought it into Studio to distress a little more.

The key thing in putting these kind of collages together is to make sure that what comes out of Remask is as clean as you are able to make it. Before bringing it back to your editor, put it over a solid background because things will turn up that you cannot see on a transparent copy. Every collage attempt will have its own nuances but these are the basics.

1 Like

Very effective comp & PP results.

1 Like

Thank you Eleanor for responding. I have had Topaz for a while, but just started to use it. Your response helps me a lot to get going. Not sure what studio does. But, this will help in the starting.
Anita

1 Like

Studio is a new application that Topaz has put out. The app is free and has some some basic adjustments included. They have some more advanced versions of the adjustments for sale. This is the direction Topaz plans on going in the future, developing an application that can be used without an editor. It can be used as a standalone or as a plug-in. Products that you already own can be accessed through it. Remask was the only one that was not able to be accessed when it was released but I expect that at some point that will change.

Very nice collage! Great job of integrating the portrait and the drawings.

1 Like

Thanks once again Eleanore. I should give it a try. Does it need to be purchased or is it a free download from the website?
Anita

1 Like

The base is free. http://web.topazlabs.com/

love the composition of this piece

1 Like

Elle, you have put this together most excellently. It’s great.