Mystery Eyeglsses

Ran upon an interesting phenom today processing a scanned film image. Source was old, poor-quality monochrome image. Two persons seated adjacent; one wearing eyeglasses, the other not.

Post-process, face-enhancement has added eyeglasses so both characters are now wearing specs.

I did a tight crop of the party not originally wearing and the face-enhancement did not add glasses.
A tight crop of both faces added glasses.

Curious as to why this is occurring. Sample images are available if interested.

Frank Hirsch

It’s hilarious when the AI improperly guesses that someone was wearing a monocle, but then it substitutes one modern lens because it doesn’t have any old monocles in the database.

FYI, There’s an open request to provide a glasses yes/no toggle for each individual face selection.

Would you mind sending in some more information to get a better understanding of the problem you are having with this particular type of image? Please send the following information:

1. The original image file.
  2. The processed image.
  3. A screenshot or description of the settings panel so I can see what adjustments were turned on.

You can securely submit your image(s) to my Dropbox using the link below.

Dropbox File Request

Please be sure to send me a note to let me know you sent something.

John,

Check your DropBox. I sent three folders; Example A thru Example C.

A and B each contain before and after versions of two different negatives. C contains cropped renditions of the “A” image.

I have to admit the face recovery is doing a fabulous job considering the sources are taken from much abused and poor quality images. The eyeglass issue, though, is driving me batty. I can confirm that the individual and the single shot and the same person on the right in the double indeed wears glasses. The guy on the left never did. The program did, however, do an excellent job of adding them.

Results varied throughout multiple trials - even turning out an monical on one trial.

Thanks for sending in those examples, I will be sure to share these with the developers to hopefully give them a better understanding of why this may be occurring.

In the meantime, while working with your images, I noticed that lowering the Strength of the Face Recovery feature would usually help with these unintended spectacles that are appearing on your images.