My workflow with SD Interlaced video

One other thing, since using Neat video to clean the noise I’m finding that artifacts that were being created by VEAI are being eliminated. It might be good for Topaz to consider a noise reduction tool along the lines of Neat video that can be introduced earlier in the order of operations.

3 Likes

I found a few workflows that work out for me on my SD content.

Option 1. Deinterlace (Hybrid Slower preset) → Nyx v1 same resolution → UPSCL Dione TV
Option 2. Deinterlace (Hybrid Slower preset) → Nyx v1 same resolution → UPSCL GAIA HQ

2 Likes

Interesting, I’ll take a look at this. Thanks. One thing about Hybrid is that I use the Placebo setting. I find that the filters can soften the video too much and lose detail.

1 Like

you can also Use Fast preset, it cleans a bit of noise but leave details mostly intact. Nyx will do the rest.
So try also Fast Preset with the same as the above

1 Like

Hello ! So I had already tried in the past to process the video a little with neat video, by making a profile at 100%, adjusting it as needed and putting “mix” at 45 - 50%. Then I imported into SD but keeping the video interlaced then I tried with Dione TV and Dione DV but that removed some artifacts, the video didn’t come out very clean. I even tried deinterlacing with qtgmc with a fast preset then applying neat video with vegas and then trying models like artemis hight, medium, gaia and proteus. But all that was before Iris came out. The problem with applying neat video to a source SD video is that even at 40% it removes some details and temporal noise is still present. But I think it’s worth trying again in combination with iris or dione. On the other hand, until now I deinterlace my videos with qtgmc before sending them to Vai, but I use a slow or medium preset and always “final temporal smoothing” at 0. Because if we put 1 or more, we lose some details of the movements. Visible especially in dark areas. Leaving this parameter at zero complicates the task of cleaning and upscaling the video with vai because it still leaves temporal noise but it is inevitable if you do not want to lose detail and make the video a little less realistic.

3 Likes

To clarify, when you say “Deinterlace (Hybrid Slower preset)” is this in TVAI or a different application? I’m using TVAI 3.5.4 as I’m wary of moving to v4 until there’s general agreement it’s stabilized, and there’s no preset with a similar name.

I mean in Hybrid, the deinterlacing process / part.
check this post, I have there also screenshots that could aid you

Thanks for the link! I hadn’t used Hybrid/QTGMC before, and my first experiment showed a huge improvement in retained detail in the deinterlace vs. using TVAI/Dione to do it. Oddly Quicktime can’t open the resulting file but TVAI (and VLC) can.

2 Likes

Hello Akilla, very interresting! Can you test method on my 10 sec testclip? I dont have Hybrid and it looked very complex. Thanks!

sure, give me the link to the video you upload to google drive.

Great!
Target Width 1620 or 225%, 50 fps

I deinterlaced it for you at 50fps.
I see your video is in pretty good shape.
you can try upscaling it with all different methods.
since your video is in a good shape, I don’t think my method would be the best choice. maybe you can Try Dione DV instead of Dione TV or use one of the progressive ones like Iris, Artemis, etc.

1 Like

Thanks Akila!
I got some nice results with Gaia. Maybe the framerate jump should have been after Hybrid, (a little jumpy) but otherwise good! So this is mostly for messy clips? A cleanup inside Hybrid.

Deinterlacing from 50i to 50p works great with Handbrake! Use Yadif and Bob and turn it to 50 constant frames.

1 Like

is the deinterlaced jumpy too or only after you processed it in TVAI? i haven’t noticed when i played it.

Every fifth frame was double. Even in the 25fps original. I think Topaz Apollo 50 would do a good job here.

I saw this encoder in: ‘FFV’. is it any good? I have never heard of that.

FFV1 is lossless compression. I encoded it that way when deinterlacing your video that you will have no quality loss compared to the original that you can then process it in TVAI as you wish

1 Like

You’ll want to run a decimate filter on it. Apollo cannot ignore duplicate frames when calculating motion.

It was very smooth with Apollo, and when i toggle forward, each frame was unique after:

(Replace sensitivity was on 10)

Maybe they’ve fixed some things about it then. I’ll have to try out a video I was trying to fix again.

1 Like