Mask AI - Error if cancelled when plugin

Have recently purchased Mask AI (v1.3.6). Was previously using Remask 5 as a plugin from Affinity Photo (1.8.5.703) and from ACDSee Photo Studio Ultimate 2021 (Version 14.0, build 2451)

Mask AI works quite well as a plugin from both of the above programs, providing Iactually “Apply” to return to the host program, but I decide to abandon the task and either press the Cancel button, or use File->Cancel it returns to the host program with an error message "Cannot Proceed - Error plug-in has crashed, and it then can’t be run as a plugin again from either host program unless that host program is restarted.

Strangely, if I simply exit out of Mask AI by clicking on the X at the top right of the Mask AI screen, it returns to the host program, no error message and it can be re-entered again without having to restart the host program.

I have lots of Topaz programs, both current and legacy that I use with Affinity and ACDsee, and this is the only one the has this cancel issue.

Windows 10 Pro, 2004, build 19041.630.
Intel i7 Gen 10 CPU, 32GB RAM, GTX 1660 6GB graphics.

Graphics Info
Application & Version: Topaz Mask AI Version 1.3.6
Operating System: Windows 10 Version 2004
Graphics Hardware: GeForce GTX 1660/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL Driver: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 457.09
CPU RAM: 32688 MB
Video RAM: 6144 MB
Preview Limit: 7861 Pixels

Any clues, or should I just report it to support.

Same thing happens in the Apple version. Since they updated it to Mask Ai I’ve been very disappointed with the product. Did a comparison yesterday of the quality and time to mask a really difficult mask and Photoshop was quicker and easier to use then mask ai. Won’t be updating again !

OK, I’ve raised a Support Ticket anyhow. (268485).

Make sure that you notify the actual steps used to recreate the error. It seems to be more complex than just not being able to call the plugin again. It only happens if there is no activity, e.g. you haven’t added a brush stroke to the actual default mask color, if you add a brush stroke or compute a mask using the auto subject or sky you don’t have to restart AP after clicking Cancel and getting the message.

@AiDon

Actually it doesn’t matter here at what stage I cancel out, whether I’ve let it do an auto detect of the subject, whether I manually paint in a selection, and even after I let it compute. If I click on cancel, I can’t use the plugin again until I restart the host program, and that is with both AP and U2021.

Strange, for me it happens only if I have done nothing does it do like that. The only difference is I have a GTX1050 and a later driver.

At the request of Support, I’ve done some more tests. The error occurs regardless of whether GPU Optimization is set on or off, and it is 100% repeatable in both GPU and CPU mode. I’ve sent support a video and also a set of Mask AI log files. I’ve since also updated the graphics drivers to the latest 457.51 but that hasn’t changed the situation.

1 Like

I understand the issue has been referred to the developers. I realized today though that it also applies when Mask AI is run as a plug in from Topaz Studio 2 as well. Have added that to the ticket.