Mask AI crashes when I just try to run tutorial

The calibrate function not initially executing seems to be the problem regarding the “auto detect subject” feature constantly crashing. My workaround was to manually do the masking (using the mask brush tool). While manually masking, the app executes the calibrate function.

After calibration, the app no longer crashes working in Photoshop or just standalone application itself.

1 Like

Thanks! Fixed mine too!

1 Like

Fixed mine too. I bought this last night and was about to request a refund. Topaz needs to do some better SQA before release. Mine crashed everytime I tried the first tutorial or any pic of mine until I went through the 2nd tutorial and it went through the one time calibration. I had already switched from GPU to CPU as well, but this fix worked.

1 Like

Did not solve the problem for me. I can get the mask mode to execute if I choose the Contrast mode, but not the AI mode. The problem seems to be that it can’t get past the calibration/benchmarking. It crashed at that point in both tutorials.

I’m experiencing the same behavior. I got “further” when running Topaz Mask AI with administrator, but only to the point where it says “One-time performance benchmarking:” , goes through GPU, and hits CPU and just… stops.

The “Calibrate” option in Preferences was grayed out until running it with admin. And even then, trying to hit calibrate, whether on CPU or GPU, it still freezes. Also tried the masking trick to get it to calibrate and the issue repeats.

Kinda sucks that this is still an issue after first report 10 months ago, and it prevents the usage of the entire product itself. Not a great trial experience, so it prevents purchase.

Graphics Information below.

Application & Version: Topaz Mask AI Version 1.3.9
Operating System: Windows 10 Version 2009
Graphics Hardware: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL Driver: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 471.41
CPU RAM: 32683 MB
Video RAM: 8192 MB
Preview Limit: 8000 Pixels

Anecdotally, it does actually work on my Macbook Air (M1). It’s just a less than ideal workflow for me to use my Macbook for a single process…

Try updating your GPU driver to the latest Studio version, 472.12

I’m now on 496.13, exhibiting the same issue.

Under settings in Win 10 go to Graphics and add Mask AI if it isn’t listed then select High Performance GPU to see if that helps.

Previously tried this as it was elsewhere in the thread, but gave it another shot, behavior still persists.

The only option now is to raise a support request at the main website, instructions are in the banner header when you exit the topic.

Try the Studio driver, 472.12, that is a Game driver.

I encountered the same problem as you. After I press the Subject button, everything stops. My graphics card fan is loud. But the program freezes.
I tried both between CPU and GPU but still the same problem.

Application & Version: Topaz Mask AI Version 1.3.9

Operating System: Windows 10 (10.0)

Graphics Hardware: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070/PCIe/SSE2

OpenGL Driver: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 472.84

CPU RAM: 16329 MB

Video RAM: 8192 MB

Preview Limit: 8000 Pixels

Please raise a support request at the main website. Instructions are in the blue banner at the top of the pages on the forum.

Yes, I sent it to them 20 hours ago. I have attached the Dxdiag.txt file and I also recorded a video of my screen to send to him. But it seems that he still hasn’t replied. I’m still waiting

It’s been 2 days and I still haven’t received a response from the staff. Can someone help me?

the whole application freezes when I do the one time performance benchmark for the CPU? I can’t even use it. It also crashed for the auto detecting subjects

Run the 2nd tutorial first as there seems to be an issue if the tutorials with auto-detect subject are run first as there seems to be a conflict with the performance calibration. If that works then the other tutorials will be ok.