Linux support

If you want to run VEAI on a VM, use QEMU/KVM. You can find guide’s to use GPU passthrough with VFIO. You need a GPU you can sacrifice to the VM, there’s no performance hit for this the WIndows VM will have hardware access to the GPU.

I’ll have to try running VEAI on WINE. I’ve never been a huge fan of running WINE but I’ve been sold on Steam Proton for the past couple years so I’m sure it could probably do it well if it were setup right.

+1 for linux support.

I have been using Topaz Gigapixel for a while on Linux and just recently picked up Video Enhance too. Having gone through all the headache and troubleshooting I’ll post a quick how to for getting both working in a few steps. Also fwiw I have an Nvidia gpu, although I believe the programs only use the cpu on Linux.

1. Download Bottles: GitHub - bottlesdevs/Bottles: Run Windows software and games on Linux
    • No need to mess with WINE or even have it installed.
  2. Create a (software) bottle and give it a name.
  3. Under the dependencies tab of that bottle install vcredist2019.
  4. Click “Run executable” from main tab and point it to the Topaz installer.
  5. Let it install and that’s it. Run the program from the newly created shortcut in the main tab.

I have both Gigapixel and Video Enhance installed and both work well (sans the gpu). Hope this helps someone.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing, I will have to try this out sometime! =)

Though I’ve been running VEAI on a VM, I figured I’d try it and another GPU heavy windows program in Wine.

I got VEAI running in wine and as stated above, it’s not using the Nvidia GPUs, it doesn’t say that it switched to CPU, but I know from running it on the VM, and watching nvtop that it is running on the CPU. which is odd because VEAI sees both of my GPUs. Gonna work on seeing if I can get it running on GPU in the next couple days. Other than being slow, it does work fine on the CPU

The other program I was working on uses CUDA and that I can get running on both GPUs @ 100% each so I know it’s possible.

And to add to that, while it would be great to get a Linux version of these apps, I won’t hold my breath. A viable middle ground might just be just getting them to work well in WINE. We’re 75% of the way there already, we just need to figure out why despite seeing the video card the apps are still using the cpu.

I have another system, an AMD 5800x/AMD 5700xt, so to rule out the Nvidia/AMD thing I installed VEAI on that with WINE and got exactly the same results, it only renders on the CPU but it does see the GPU and allows it to be selected.

This was brought up before https://community.topazlabs.com/t/linux-support/16340/6
Someone says they had all the Topaz stuff running on the GPU but I tried what they said and nothing on either system.

I’ve been using WINE the past couple of days and yeah I’d be fine if we could just get VEAI running on GPUs in WINE. I’d really like to ditch the Windows VM.

Interesting I’ll look into ​the suggestions from that thread. From doing a cursory glance at the logs, my assumption is the gpu failure is due to this error:

[Error ] Thread: 0x73f13e0 < line #: 0> ONNX problem: DML Init D:\a_work\1\s\onnxruntime\core\providers\dml\dml_provider_factory.cc(136)\onnxruntime.dll!00000000057D7BFE: (caller: 00000000057D7C97) Exception(18) tid(f8) 80004001 Not implemented.

ONNX Runtime is a machine learning acceleration runtime used by Microsoft’s DirectML which I believe is tied to DirectX 12 – which to my knowledge is not supported by WINE.

My guess is this ONNX Runtime framework is for gpu acceleration and fails to load subsequently causing a failure to load:
alqs-v2-fgnet-fp32-384x480-2x-ox.tz
it then seems to fall back to OpenVINO which I assume is for cpu:
alqs-v2-fgnet-fp16-576x672-2x-ov.tz

These are just assumptions so please take with a grain of salt.

A onnxruntime.dll is packaged with Topaz products (at least Video Enhance) but that doesn’t seem to matter. I tried copying all the onnxruntime.dll’s from my Windows install to the corrosponding locations (system32/syswow64/winsxs) in my WINE prefix but that didn’t help. I’ll continue to look into this when I have time. That’s all I have for now.

exactly.

Getting VEAI with GPU Support running inside a VM is possible, but thats a different story than having a linux version.

That’s good work. DX12 is supported by VKD3D in WINE, ONNX is open source and cross platform. DirectML is still listed as “ToDo” in VKD3D so I don’t know that any of that would work.

I don’t know enough about the whole thing to be able to figure any of that out, hopefully you do lol

After I get a dummy GPU for the host I was going to try exactly this, any tips/pitfalls? Glad to see someone else has tried the crazy idea I’ve been thinking about

Well it sounds like you want to run a VM if you “need a dummy GPU for the host”. That’s not what we’re talking about here, but you can do that, I’ve done it for over a year but you have to use QEMU

welcome nicholas :slight_smile:

Sounds like you want to passthrough your GPU into a virtual machine - head over to the proxmox/unraid forums, these guys do it all the time. You might also want to take a look at the beer drinking guy on youtube and his cloud gaming servers :slight_smile: lots of tips on his channel about gpi virtualization, partitioning, etc…

this thread is about linux support, though, not running a VM inside linux to host a windows guest…

nope, directML is not working in Wine at the moment… Fingers crossed :slight_smile:

Would be nice since Windows has become a nightmare of blue-screens. VEAI is the only thing that has required my dual-boot setup… When Windows actually decides to work.

you’re still under windows 98 SE ? XP ? Win7 ? it’s a long time that the blue screen is not an issue anymore.I didn’t had one since many many years.

if you have BSOD, it’s maybe / certainly not related to Windows or VEAI, more related to your computer / gear. if you use a dual boot screen to avoid BSOD on windows, i’ll suggest to check your machine or how you use it.
if you have one because you like Linux, OSX or an another system, then, it’s an another story.

that’s why I would suggest a possible issue with hardware.
it’s not because linux has “no issue” or “the same” that it means it’s a windows problem.

Look at my system : for healt issue, i can’t have my computer close to me. so EVERYTHING is behind 10 meters of extendedcable, HDMI cable (10 meters), USB 2.0 Extender (10 meters) + Hub, USB 3.0/2.0 Extender etc…

• it’s a m-Itx machine, H270 + i7-7700 with a 600w seasonic 14 years old power supply, 1050ti fanless (!!) palit card (i have to lower the T° Limit of it). I’m under Windows 11 x64.

• behind usb 2.0 extender + Hub : Laser printer, 2 Midi keyboards plugged, 6 x Steinberg Midi CMC controlers (no more drivers since 2014, still work !), Wacom tablet used as mouse (touch), counter design Jog, a PS2 gamepad controller (using a usb converter but not issue with a Xbox360 controller as well, ). Lifecam webcam. everything is behind a Hub (with its own power supply !)

• a real Piano (Midi system) + PC keyboard plugged on their own usb Extender (no Hub).

Directly plugged on the motherboard : USB TV Tuner + Steinberg Soundcard + Printer + a usb 3.0 Hub with a 1 Tb SSD plugged on it (using a usb 3.0 2.5" case).

• Video card output a 1080p Hdmi signal to a 24" monitor through a 10 meter cable… 32 Gb of G.Skill Ram. and soon it will have to send a 4K signal to a second monitor.

last time i got a blue screen was when one of the Ram stick stopped to work, or when one of my 3.5" hard disc died. (now, i only use SSDs, no more 3.5" HD).

I don’t tell windows is perfect, i’m not talking about software crash !! i’m talking about BSOD ! but most of the time, BSOD are related to hardware / issues. I spent 20 years to build my own machines or repair others which had “BOSD” or “issue”.
yes, before it was a nightmare, Win 95, NT (much better !), 98SE (the most horrible of them all), Xp, Vista 1st version was horrible but it was fixed with the SP2 which leaded to Win7, 8, 8.1, win10 and Win11.

i don’t have real big issue since 7 or 8.

would have loved to answer you in PM but not possible to write to you.

Just for curiosity, your issue is only related to thunderbolt driver or you have other issues ?
the issue come from the motherboard manufacturer (or you use the thunderbord (displayport ?) on the graphic card too ?

YEs, drivers, is a …*** in the **. I agree. i’m fortunate that since 2014, the drivers of my midi system are still working, as they will never be updated (the gear is old). That’s why I’ll replace them by an another gear soon.
Do you have to re install the old .dll at each windows update, or only at big major windows update ?

I’m doing too many things that i can’t on linux , so no other choice. Windows work well for me since a long time now, the os is not that important, it’s the softwares or what we do on it, and what i’m doing on windows is not possible on linux, so even if i would, switching would not be an option.

blazini36 You have suggested to run VEAI in a VM with QEMU, which could work with the GPU, but in your posts later you’ve only tested it with Wine, right?

I am not very experienced with virtual machines and never used QEMU… if you would test VEAI with QEMU, can you please share your results with us and if GPU works?

Just here to express my support for a Linux build of VEAI.
What about an unofficial and unsupported Linux version, if it’s apparently that simple to port?
This feature, together with the revival of the CLI would make it so nice to automate the stuff I do with VEAI, without having to deal with Windows 10.

By the way, the amount of offtopic replies in this thread is astonishing.

1 Like

Nothing is official, but will look into feasibility of supporting VEAI on Linux.
Going to look into option of adding support for GPU on linux. Is it safe to assume most if not all of you are on Nvidia GPUs and would like to use CUDA or are there AMD users who will need ROCm.
What linux distros and package managers do you guys use/prefer?
I’m not sure about GUI support on linux for now, but it should be possible to add libraries so ffmpeg can be built with VEAI support on Linux.
Interested users join the beta.
https://community.topazlabs.com/g/Video-Beta-Testers

6 Likes