Libx265 and custom settings support in FFMPEG

It would be great to have support for libx264 / libx265 in Topaz version of FFMPEG, as well as the possibility to add custom parameters from within the GUI (-crf, -vf, …) which would add so much power.

libx265 provides better quality and can encode more color formats.
When I work on iphone videos, which are shot in yuvj420p, then get converted to yuv420p, because none of the GPU encoders support yuvj, and that messes with the color range, and thus contrast in a bad way.

Adding the option to crop before processing would bring so much performance gain when you’re interested only in upscaling a zone. Even better if you add the gui to select the area to crop …

They can’t, its a licensing issue.

Topaz Labs do provide the source to ffmpeg and closed source libraries so you can compile you’re own ffmpeg and use the command line to run it with TVAI processing.

So I guess that’s the reason why I can’t export videos in 8k with HEVC?

That depends on the capabilities of the codec manufacturer, nvec, videotoolbox etc. I believe 8k is HVEC level 6 some only go up to level 5.2 .

I think I’ve tried to scale higher than 8k (4096x8192) before with some success*,
finding something that will play it can be fun as it usually exceeds hardware decoding limits
and players can be finicky if things are slightly of standard (looking at you QuickTime).

*I need to retest that sort of size though as I now limit stuff to 5.7k as playback was more reliable, and YT is pretty much capping out on VR180 vids at 4k ATM.

EDIT: Wikipedia says 8k at 32 fps came in a Level 6, 60 fps at Level 6.1 @120fps at Level 6.2
Running a test render on my M1 but it’ll take an hour.

EDIT2: Using the H265 Main encoder on a M1 MacOS box I rendered an 8k 30fps video without issue.
Plays okay in VLC, Quicktime won’t play it at all.
ffprobe has the following to say about the format.
Stream #0:0(und): Video: hevc (Main) (hvc1 / 0x31637668), yuv420p(tv, progressive), 7680x4320 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 796090 kb/s, 30 fps, 30 tbr, 15360 tbn, 15360 tbc (default)

1 Like