Lens Correction still not working in Lightroom RAW Plugin Mode

No, that is not possible for embedded profiles. That was my starting point when I first posted about this problem, remember? Applying lens correction to the resulting dng works only without embedded profiles. For example: When I use the exact same Nikon Z7II with a Sigma Lens, I can apply the lens correction to the PAI DNG after the roundtrip. I think it might be possible to copy over the integrated lens correction data to the DNG, as that seems to happen when lightroom itself converts a raw with integrated profile to DNG. I’ve tried to do that quick an dirty, but with no luck.

So to sum up: There is no way around lens correction directly in PhotoAI for the Lightroom RAW Workflow as soon as you got a newer camera or camera/lens combination - as most of them work with integrated profiles. From your answer I assume the lack of PAI lens correction in the lightroom workflow is intentional. I do not understand why, as lens correction before for example sharpening or upscaling could be beneficial for edge resolution I think.

So can you confirm this behavior of PAI as intended?
If so, I want to request a feature.

Best regards,
Oliver

1 Like

I think you need to raise a support request at the main website as they still haven’t picked up on it. The only way around it at the time being is to use the Edit in option from LR and pass a TIFF for the best result.

When you raise the support request link the request to this thread also.

Thanks for sending this information over Oliver.

I was able to reproduce this and made a task for my team to review.

For now, I would recommend using the Photo > Edit in > Topaz Photo AI workflow which will preserve the lens correction.

If you have images from other cameras or lenses with this same issue please upload examples to my Dropbox so I can check those as well. More examples will make this easier to fix.

You can securely submit your image(s) to my Dropbox using the link below. Please be sure to send me a note to let me know you sent something.
Dropbox File Request

1 Like

Hello @Lingyu,
I’ve just uploaded 4 different camera samples for you. All of them have integrated lens profiles in the raws and it is not possible to correct them after or in lightroom raw plugin workflow for PAI (i checked all of them).
Cameras:

• Sony ZV-1
  • Nikon Z7ii with 14-30F4 (but the same with every Z native lens…if you need more lenses, drop me a line)
  • Nikon Z50 with Z DX 16-50
  • Nikon P1000

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Oliver

Hello @Lingyu,
do you have any news on that topic? Please give me an update.

Anthony Morganti posted a video about the issue on his YouTube channel today. His example used Nikon Z lenses. Link here. His workaround (manual lens correction) isn’t great. Please get this fixed.

1 Like

Looks like the following lenses are supported on the latest LensFun list …

Just check on the LensFun list of supported lenses.

Hello @AiDon,
the lens Anthony uses in his video is actually supported as the cat photo he processes in the beginning is created with the Z 24-200 which is the 4th entry in the list you provided.
My 14-30 is the second entry and is supported also. Z16-50: 3rd entry from the bottom.

So I might just miss the point here (my little son does not allow me to sleep very much), but what do you want to point out? For me, your comment suggests this is a user error and just rtfm. But that is not the case. The lenses are supported and the correction works if the raw is processed with standalone PAI mode. Only in the lightroom module workflow it is not working. Ligyu has confirmed the issue, also.

So don’t get me wrong, I appreciate your valuable input all over this forum and you were the first one who responded to my problem report, asked the right questions and actually suggested a workaround which was great. What I want, however, is not to dilute the problem point and get a statement from topaz developers - even if that statement is “we see the problem and we’re working on it” or “support for your cameras and lenses is not a priority for us / not on our roadmap - please move on”.

I am not sure why they aren’t processed either but that may well be a problem with reading the DNGs from LR as they (DNG) are not RAW files.

Also I am not sure why there isn’t a response from support.

EDIT: Adobe noted there was a issue with exporting DNGs from Camera RAWs in LR Classic where the embedded profile was not being applied even if “enable profile corrections” was selected, it is supposed to apply the embedded corrections on export to DNG. Then if the DNG is imported back to LR the profile is NOT applied.

Note that I only have LR6 and it isnt a problem and I also use DxO PureRAW and it also does apply the embedded profile on export so there are no issues.

You recently added support for ARWs from the RX100VII camera. The problem is that I’ve converted many of those to DNG (using Adobe DNG Converter) and those can’t be opened properly in PhotoAI.
Hope you can add support for those DNG’s aswell.

Topaz Photo AI [v1.2.10] on [Windows
DSC02591.dng (23.5 MB)
DSC02591.ARW (20.4 MB)
]

Provide a bit of information, especially what you mean by can’t be opened properly.

Hello @morjoh,
this is not the same Problem, please open a new topic for it. Perhaps an adminstrator can help you move your post to a new topic.

Hello @AiDon,
I’ve analysed the lua scripts. I am not a lua expert, but as far as i can see there is no dng conversion via lightroom. The raw file path is passed to photo ai with a parameter telling it to run in plugin mode. So adobe bugs don’t play a role here.
The lensfun lens correction is simply not executed in PAIs Plugin mode and i assume they did it to enable users to enable/disable lens correction in lightroom for the PAI processed photos. This works only for specific lens/camera combinations with non-mandatory lens correction.
With mandatory lens correction (= camera manufacturer wants this correction active all the time in Lightroom - no matter what the user wants) this does not work.
I could reproduce this several times. So I also have to correct myself above: Problem is not existing with every Nikon Z-Lens, but with all Z-Lenses with mandatory lens correction (which are many, but not all).

I see three solutions to this problem:

1. the fast solution to make me and other users of these cameras happy: Just ask us to use PAI internal or lightroom lens correction in the presets und if enabled, just do lens correction in PAI.
  2. intermediate: detect the mandatory lens correction in the raw somehow and correct these pictures via lensfun in PAI and leave the rest to lightroom.
  3. The long path: Learn how to read and convert all manufacturer specific lens correction data in the raws and then integrate it in a standard-conform dng as opcodes.

Please dear topaz-developers, give me and all the RX100 Users the first solution.

Hi, that is certainly strange as it process the RAW correctly if it is opened as a standalone but not if the RAW is passed via the plugin menu.

I can’t speculate what would be the problem as other RAWs without embedded profiles seem to process correctly.

@busse.oliver

Hi, just a thought, is there an option to generate a DNG file format through the Edit in menu. As I stopped using LR at version 6 I cannot recall but if would be worth trying if you can

@AiDon: I’ve looked for that - there isn’t. Also converting to DNG via lightroom before the roundtrip doesn’t help, because lightroom includes the proprietary lens correction information into the dng and it gets lost the same way in PAI processing.
I’ve build myself a very, very (!) dirty workaround via lua scripting and a shell script, but the process is not fully automatic and I hate it, hope they come up with a real solution soon.

All other ideas, like just copy OPCODE3 from a lightroom converted, temp DNG to the PAI exported DNG via exiftool or exiv2 did not work and I am missing time and knowledge to deeply analyze why (something to do with the makernotes - perhaps there is a solution with exiftool).

Additional suggestion for the developers (@Lingyu): You seem to just skip lens correction when photo ai is called via command line. I’d suggest to do that explicitly instead, as it is bad for half-automatic scripting. You could for example define a parameter “-lens correction = Off” instead…

If any questions, ask or contact me via email if you want.

2 Likes

I apologize for the delay in my reply. I am usually sorting by and answering the oldest threads. This one was active and ended up at the bottom so I never saw the additional responses.

@busse.oliver the built-in lens profiles in particular are a challenge as we are not aware of how to transfer this information into Topaz Photo AI. This has been a pain point for Raw processing since the start of Topaz Photo AI. Yes we are aware of this issue with lens correction and I have many tasks related to various built-in lens profiles that are lost during processing for the developers to look into.

I’m not sure when this will be worked on yet.

Lensfun is the best database we have, but it’s missing a lot of information. The issue with lens corrections when using command line (the LrC File > Plug-in Extras > Process with Topaz Photo AI method uses command line as well) is known as well.

I’ll look into the first solution that you are talking about. We can update lensfun and see if adding lens correction to the command line fixes this for some lenses.

1 Like

Having read the thread, including the April 19 reply from Lingyu, I see that this is a known problem. I am experiencing this same issue with ARW files from the Sony RX10M4 and would like to add my voice to those hoping for a solution. It is certainly possible to copy or convert the built-in profile from the manufacturer’s raw file into the DNG generated by Photo AI. We know this because Adobe (in LR) does just this when converting an ARW to a DNG.
This is essentially solution #3 suggested by OP Oliver on April 9, but I don’t see it as the long path. It actually seems the short path since there is really no need for PAI to actually render the lens correction during processing, just preserve it in the DNG.
EDIT: With further investigation I see that even when processing a DNG file with embedded lens corrections, Photo AI drops those corrections in the output DNG. This behavior is quite disappointing.

I’ll pile on, if only to confirm that this is a real issue that is going to require correction if Topaz is not to lose sales.

Part of the power of Photo AI is, of course, its ability to work with the richer RAW file. But, as noted, camera’s like the RX100 have some pretty gruesome distortion without correction.

LrC does a good job of correcting that distortion, but sending a TIFF to Photo AI partially defeats the purpose of Photo AI.

The pressure is on Topaz as Adobe have added their new noise reduction option to LrC and, some time back, Adobe bought an excellent sharpening product and incorporated it into LrC.

It takes two steps, but LrC can now do a very credible job of noise reduction and sharpening, two of the most important tasks of Photo AI. (Spent the afternoon pixel peeping.)

The number of “super” mini cameras, like the Sony RX100 is increasing and all of them expect robust distortion correction in software.

We are well aware of the importance. Lens correction is challenging to fully support as there is a huge variety to fix.

Some cameras we already support but there is a bug in our Lightroom Classic plugin preventing it from working, which is what this original post is about.

Some cameras we do not have support for and likely will not be able to support yet.

We will work on these fixes in time. In the meanwhile, the workarounds are necessary.

Please reach out if you have further feedback that I can bring to my team.

As a whole, we are working on lens corrections for supported cameras working in the File > Plug-in Extras > Process with Topaz Photo AI plugin.

It is in the roadmap and will be coming in the next few months.