Latest Update to 1.1.8

Been a while since I’ve commented so I guess its time to get back in the game. This latest release is pretty impressive but I have a few thoughts about it. First is that it seems to be very slow, at least on my box. I’ll post the system info at the end as it has been some time since I provided it. It also tends to hang for a few seconds when I try to do things like open a file or ask for a preset to be applied. This is a constant thing.

The new clarity shows up on the left panel as opposed to being grouped with the other adjustments. I don’t understand the design of such; perhaps that could be elucidated.

After having purchased the new Blur filter a few days ago, I now see it in my adjustments of no longer being a $10 purchase but free, is that how the page adjusts after a purchase?

We still can’t move the rotation point in the masks which greatly decreases their functionality. Perhaps that could be given consideration for the 1.1.9 release?

It may be just a case of not understanding what I’m seeing, but I cant find any implementation of what I consider to be a much needed function in the Adjustments set, that of a graduated filter. Here is an example of what I would like to have available, and it is a screen shot from ACR 9.12.

The ability to apply a graduated effect likely goes without saying, and having a tool such as this all but eliminates the need for carrying around the actual device in the camera bag. If I’ve somehow missed this PLEASE point it out to me!

In the Motion Blur filter presets we are lacking a “strong swirl right” but there is a “strong swirl left”. Since it appears that the angle of rotation is controlled by the Swirl Angel slider, why not just have a custom setting of “swirl” and let the slider be the determinate of direction and degree?

Windows 7 64-bit; Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601; BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 2501, 4/7/2014; AMD FX™-4100 Quad-Core Processor, 3600 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s); 32GB RAM; Dual ATI Radeon HD 5450 801MHz, 2 GB DDR3 video cards running the AMD Radeon Catalyst Software (15.8)Ver 15.301.1901-160226a-299900E driver; AMD CPU Family:15, Model:1, Stepping:2 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AVXLogical processor count: 4 Processor speed: 3612 MHz Built-in memory: 32668 MB; Open GL 6.14.10.13417; NEC MultiSync 90 GX^2 Opticlear and Wacom Cintiq 21UX Spyder color calibrated monitors.

dave

So it appears that while I was typing the above 1.1.9 was released Now nothing seems to be working properly. And it would appear I’ve put this in the wrong category, so any moderator please move as appropriate.

dave

Are you still having the problems listed here? I’d like to note that the HD 5450 cannot take advantage of Crossfire (AMD), and you appear to have two installed. This is, unfortunately, just wasted space. You’d be much better using an AMD R7 370, or GTX 750 Ti, rather than those two HD 5450s.

As far as your CPU, I personally use the AMD FX-8350, and have found its performance less than ideal. I can only imagine how that CPU architecture, with fewer cores and lower clock speeds (4core vs 8core, 3.6 GHz vs 4.0 GHz) would perform when processing somewhat larger images.

Hi Joe -

Yes and yes. The requests obviously are still there and things I believe need addressing. As well as my questions.

Updating to 1.1.9 resulted in MUCH slower response. I have it open now and it is performing horribly! Getting anything to respond when you cursor over it takes several seconds if it responds at all. Often times menus flash on and off, stuff like that. While I appreciate that video memory may be part of the problem, I didn’t have this problem with 1.1.8 and I dont experience it with other graphics programs such as Affinity, On1 Photo RAW 2017, or PS CC2017 while working on GB sized files. So I have some difficulty accepting that it is a graphics card specific problem. Something else is going on. Happy to work with you on it!

I just ordered the GTX card you suggested, it will arrive tomorrow and I’ll install it then and play some more, but I’m wagering it will make little difference. I’ll be sure to let you know one way or the other.

Meanwhile, if you would kindly address my concerns posited in the initial email I’d greatly appreciate it. Thanks. :wink:

dave

[quote=“sonofjohan, post:4, topic:1428”]So I have some difficulty accepting that it is a graphics card specific problem.
[/quote]

Without knowing the exact distribution of processing power in other applications (PS uses both CPU and GPU, but mostly CPU, for example), we cannot reliably confirm that something else is going on. Studio renders pretty much everything using the GPU. This is fact.

Also a fact - one of your two HD 5450’s are not even being used by our software. Also, the HD 5450 is very, very slow:

I’d be interested to hear how your experience changes with the new GPU. Which model did you get, specifically? Not all OEMs create their cards equally.

Gigabyte Graphics Cards GV-N75TWF2OC-4GI so let’s hope this makes a difference. One way or the other I’ll let you know.

Specifically what other info do you need. Would seem practical to provide that i any update pose new card install.

I’m somewhat surprised that the software doesn’t make use of the additional hardware. I was under the distinct impression a few betas back (not Studio) that such was the case.

Now, about my other inquiries . . . . .

This is to help denote that Plugins (Clarity/Impression/etc) are different than single Adjustments, in most cases. In Impression’s case, where there is only one Adjustment to use, this arrangement makes it completely clear that you’re working with Impression alone. Also, this is currently the only way to access the list of presets included with the plugin.

Yes. You cannot buy an Adjustment twice. [quote=“sonofjohan, post:1, topic:1428”]
We still can’t move the rotation point in the masks which greatly decreases their functionality. Perhaps that could be given consideration for the 1.1.9 release?
[/quote]

I just tested mask rotation in 1.1.9, and it works for me. Both Mac and PC. Please try again on latest release.

Graduated filters are on our list for consideration.

The presets are there to allow you to use the Adjustment. If you would like more control than we provide, please purchase Pro for that Adjustment.

This is not at all what I’m saying. What I’m saying is that it is physically impossible to use the power of both of those HD 5450 GPUs. Why? They cannot be run at the same time. What you’re wanting to do actually requires something called Crossfire, which allows for both PCIe lanes to share processing power, effectively doubling, tripling, or quadrupling your processing power. Only some cards can do this, and yours is not one of them:

This will inform on the use of two GPUs at once.

First, thanks for all your responses.

No it doesn’t. I don’t think we are communicating. I’m NOT talking about only rotating the entire mask, that one can obviously do. I talking about repositioning the rotation point, currently the + in the center of the mask. As it is currently employed, one can only rotate about the center of the mask. We need to be able to reposition the rotation point so we can rotate from any fulcrum point. While this has no effect in a circular mask it can be very helpful in a non circular and/or custom mask.

I have ALL the adjustments available (includes pro pack). Please look at Swirl in Motion Blurs to see what I’m discussing. perhaps I’m overlooking something.

Thanks for the tom’s HARDWARE link. I’m not trying to use two cards for one monitor but rather one card for each individual monitor. I guess that isn’t helping in any way other than to let each monitor work as the 5450s only have the one connection. Looking forward to see what tomorrow brings.

Ah, thank you for explaining this again. Apologies for not getting it the first time(s) :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll add this to the list.

I just tested a right vs left swirl. I found that inverting the value gives me the opposite swirl direction:

Swirl Left (-0.20)

Swirl Right (+0.20)

Strong Swirl Left (-0.78)

Strong Swirl Right (+0.78)

Thanks for adding it to the list.

Yup, i agree with that. Just suggesting that there is either no left or right identifier, or both, but not just the left identifier. It begs the question of where is the right or can I make it go right, etc.

Got the new video card Wed night and was excited to get it installed yesterday and tested. After installing the card the computer had no video and the screen said please power down and install the power cord. Had no idea what was happening at first and tried several things. Then I decided to look inside and discovered that the card needed a power connector. Checked in the box and there was none. So I had been sold a used rather than new card. Now I have to return that and get another. Never used a video card before that required a power connection so this was all new to me. I’ll address this again once I get the new - working - card installed. :grin:

You have not been sold a second hand card. Power connectors do not come with the GPU card. You normally have spare power connectors on your computers psu. They may be tucked away if the company who built your system are tidy workers :slight_smile:
You need to know whether it is a 6 or pin connector. If you have not got a spare power cable you can buy a splitter to branch off of an existing connector to turn 1power socket into 2.
Ian

@sonofjohan the power connection you’re looking for actually comes from your power supply. They look like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DV1Z32Y/ref=asc_df_B01DV1Z32Y5160184/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B01DV1Z32Y&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167140037427&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4409154934834711739&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026942&hvtargid=pla-305293737974

So I just learned. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. Thanks for the explanation. :slight_smile: Now to hook it all back up this afternoon and give it a go.

Thanks Joe. Now that I may know what I’m doing, I’ll play with it for the rest of the weekend ad report back. I appreciate the feedback from all.

It’s worth it to note that most 2GB variants of the GTX 750/750 Ti do not require additional power hookups, but the 4GB models normally do.

As it turns out this one does. Just my luck. :grinning:

O.K., new card GeForce GTX 750 Ti with 4GB Video RAM 7 Samsung C27F398FWN monitor installed to boot. All systems go! Device Manager Readout below.

Studio virtually as slow as discussed prior. It takes c30 seconds to load; file | open recent takes about 4 seconds to register, then randomly immediately disappears; click on another menu item randomly takes several seconds to register. So I’m not convinced at all that it was my graphics card(s) causing the problem as the behavior is virtually unchanged. Don’t get me wrong, checking was a GREAT excuse for a new monitor and graphics card :grinning:, but it has not changed how the program is responding. Note that I didn’t experience this degree of sluggishness in the 1.1.8 release. I’m pasting the system specs below as they have obviously changed. Anticipating further discussion.

Windows 7 64-bit; Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601; BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 2501, 4/7/2014; AMD FX™-4100 Quad-Core Processor, 3600 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s); 32GB RAM; NVIDIA GeForce GTX Ti (5CU640SP SM5.0 1GHz/1.33GHz,2MBl2, 4gb 5.4ghZ 128BIT) GLDriverVersion="10.18.13.5582; AMD CPU Family:15, Model:1, Stepping:2 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AVXLogical processor count: 4 Processor speed: 3612 MHz Built-in memory: 32668 MB; Open GL 6.14.10.13417; Samsung C27F398FWN and Wacom Cintiq 21UX Spyder color calibrated monitors.

Please submit a ticket, message me the ticket number, and we’ll setup a remote session. I’d like to take a look at your issue directly. Thanks!

Morning Joe -

Just submitted the support request; ticket # is:#125390.

I’m going to be gone most of today, but available most of the time the rest of the week. However, I’ll be working outside rendering a half dozen 120 foot trees into cord wood so lets set a time when you will be making contact. I live on Puget Sound so PDT zone for reference.

dave

:thumbsup: