Just loaded Topaz Photo 2.0.1 and it's broken

[Please describe your issue here. Try to include logs (Help → Logging) and add screenshots if necessary.]

Steps to reproduce issue:

  1. Step 1 Open the JPG file and let the program do its thing
  2. Step 2 Crop the image
  3. Step 3 Turn on “Sharpen” and it’s “Sharpening Subject”

And the result is in the image shown. I saved the file and it’s completely black.

Topaz Photo AI [v2.0.1] on [Windows

2023-09-15-18-08-43.tzlog (16.0 KB)
2023-09-15-18-22-23.tzlog (243.5 KB)
2023-09-15-18-22-32.tzlog (1.3 KB)
2023-09-15-18-27-22.tzlog (127.1 KB)

Thanks for reaching out. It seems like the computer is running out of VRAM when processing the file.

Can you try upscaling by a smaller number and see if the output is still black?

I’m not upscaling. I’m cropping. And it’s when I initiate sharpening that the right side of the image turns black.

Actually, if I save the image, it’s completely black.


To repeat what I said in my first reply, just below this message…

I’m not upscaling. I’m cropping. And it’s when I initiate sharpening that the right side of the image turns black.

Actually, if I save the image, it’s completely black.

And I forgot to mention: My video adapter has 8 GB of dedicated VRAM. My system has 48 GB or RAM. Are you saying that isn’t enough? If that’s the case, you may have a memory leak.

As a software developer myself, I suggest you have one or more bugs. and more testing is required before you expose your customers, like me, to new releases. This isn’t the first time I reported blackened images and never received satisfactory replies to my bug reports.

Let me add that the algorithms in your beta features also need work. I tried them out and the results are “way off” from reality. TEST, TEST, TEST!!!



This screenshot shows you are upscaling.

Please try turning this off first and let me know if you are still getting a black output.


Ah, I see what you’re saying.

After cropping to about 10% of the original image, I’m upscaling.

So, what you’re saying is that cropping (removing about 90% of) the image and then taking the remaining 10% and upscaling it by about 4x (to about 40% of the original image) is challenging to my 8 GB of VRAM.

So, what I should be doing is cropping the image that’s processed and then save it and then run Gigapixel AI. Doesn’t that defeat the entire purpose of rolling Studio, Adjust, Sharpen, DeNoise and Gigapixel into a single application? Yes, I’ve been using your software for a while.

Consider paging out (to regular RAM or swap space on disk) the original procecced image when cropping is done and bringing it back ONLY if the user decides to recrop. In other words, free the VRAM of the stuff that’s removed as a result of the crop.

In other words, let the image you maintain in VRAM be stateless and, by doing that, keep only the data you need there.

Considering the speed of today’s computers, we’re talking about an extra second or two – unless someone has a really old, slow system that shouldn’t be running Topaz AI software anyway.

Just sayin’…. That’s my two cents worth from 50 years of software development.

Let me know what you think – and let your developers see my suggestion and let me know what they think.

Best regards,


I haven’t seen other reports of this behavior so it does not seem to be a widespread issue.

Cropping the image down to 10% and upscaling by 4x will increase the image size by 1.6x compared to the original. However, since it’s a JPG it’s unlikely that memory is the issue since the starting file is small, so it seems to be something else causing this issue instead.

Please visit this page, select your operating system (Windows) and click “Find Your System Profile”. Send me the system profile so I can check your system specs. In particular I’m curious about the graphics driver.
Topaz Photo AI System Requirements


I have attached the DxDiag.txt file.

Also, here are the JPG file’s details (ignore the Windows default ”Opens with” JPG file viewer, as it’s irrelevant)…

Let me know if you see any issues.





DxDiag.txt (100 KB)

It looks like you may be on a Game Ready driver for this graphics card.

Please download and run the below installer which is the latest NVIDIA Studio driver released today. When installing, select Custom Installation > Clean Install. Then reboot your computer after the driver installs.

Let me know if this changes the behavior.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.