Is Photography being killed by the endless lack of creativity

Firstly I apologise to all who may be offended but I have to agree that ‘photography’ and smartphones should not be spoken in the same breath … an interesting observation by a photographer:

3 Likes

Bloody Germans :slight_smile:
But in a way he is right, however, I am sure there are lots of people who do creative things with their ‘smart’ phones but they are obviously a minority. I am not one of them - I still like my camera even though it is bulky and heavy and some lenses are heavy, too.

4 Likes

I believe that the reflex camera is in the sunset of its years, the concept has been around since the 1800s after all. Mirrorless cameras might claim the way forward and interchangeable lenses will be with us for a while longer yet, though it can only be a matter of time before technology overcomes the need to keep screwing and unscrewing these lumps of glass to the front of our cameras. Smartphones continue to chase and to close the gap.

Creativity is another thing, though, whatever the means of capturing an image, it is a hard concept to keep up with. What is creative today will become hackneyed tomorrow. Innovative imagery builds on what has gone before, and pure creativity is unrecognisable without a reference to previous innovation. It’s a jungle.

To answer your question, I think that to dismiss smartphones on the basis of technology alone might be a mistake.

6 Likes

I WORRIED A LOT ABOUT “THAT LOOKS PHOTOSHOPPED’ until I decided that “photoshopped” was what it was supposed to look like… or TOPAZED.

I believe that it is much more difficult to be an outstanding classic photographer… and more expensive, and more compulsive-time demanding.

But to be a TOPAZER (OR PHOTOSHOPPER) IS EASIER AND MORE FUN. I’ve been watching the T Forum’s submissions for some years now, and in the past year am amazed at the increased quality of the artistic and creative level of the submissions.

So my goal is the creation of digital images that leave lasting impressions. If I could do that with my iPhone, that would be fine. But I want the choice of getting closer or further away and so still use a regular camer. But with AI applied to image noise and enlargement, and with the use of multi exposure to create larger image files, I see little reason that smart phones won’t eventually produce the quality images that currently require larger cameras.

The challenge seems to me is that a seven-year old can stick his memory card into a Walmart vending machine, make a couple of menu choices and print out a set of photos that a few years ago would have taken the best among us hours to create.

And with the development of digital paper, our wall prints will reflect anything we want to look at more than once.

6 Likes

I’ve seen great pictures out of cell phones and garbage out of DSLRs (including mine).
I stopped asking what camera was used. I do still look at f-stop, shutter speed, and ISO.

4 Likes

Very intetesting discussion.

I do not think the interesting issue is the iPhone vs camera - it is finding great art in the sheer number of photos taken issue…

Wim Wenders makes movies and despite all the people who have phones that can make movies and post to YouTube etc mivie makers do not have the same issus as photographers - yet - but they may someday…

Be interesting to find out if anyone posts ‘selfies’ of themselves on social media sites like facebook or instagram?

Quote:

“With just a few filters, a little saturation, and a clever caption, social media can make even the most average Joe look like an esteemed socialite,” … “They use these platforms to boast of their daily tidings, carefully craft their public image, and feed their egos in this interconnected digital age.”

1 Like

Have not even taken a selfie yet, lol

1 Like

I did a magazine cover once using the iPad Photo Booth…

8 Likes

Great British sense of humor, Ray!!

1 Like

I may have you beat, I don’t even have a phone with a camera.

2 Likes

Now that is creative!

2 Likes