IPTC/XMP data not preserved

I edited a photo in Topaz Photo AI. When I saved the result, the IPTC/XMP metadata was lost. This is really important to be able to sharpen historical or genealogical photos which may have embedded metadata on photo subjects, places, dates, etc.

Topaz Photo AI [v1.x.x] on [Windows/Mac]

Hi @robert.gancas, is this the standalone Topaz Photo AI app that you’re losing your XMP data in, or the Lightroom plugin?

Can you let me know what model camera you are using here?

Stand alone Topaz Photo AI. I scanned an old print photo on a Canon scanner into .TIF format. Then I updated the IPTC fields in Adobe Bridge. This is my digital negative.

Loaded the photo into Topaz Photo AI for sharpening and noise reduction. Stored the result as a .PNG file. Checked the IPTC fields and they were not populated.

BTW, the sharpening is incredible.

Cheers,

Rob

Please send me the original file and the output PNG file. I can check the metadata and try to reproduce the issue.

You can securely submit your image(s) to my Dropbox using the link below. Please be sure to send me a note to let me know you sent something.
Dropbox File Request

Did you use any particular settings for exporting to PNG? Were you saving the exported file to your hard drive or an external drive? If you are on Mac, does Topaz Photo AI have Full Disk Access as that can affect whether it can write the metadata or IPTC data.

Note also that PNG does not support embedding of Metadata. When you convert from JPEG to PNG the information is lost the only option is to use XMP data … BUT … that relies on processing apps actually reading it.

As an extension to the PNG specifications an “EXIF chunk” was included, I think about 2017, where Metadata can be added but I only know of one application that can actually read them.

I retested. It’s working.

Chalk the bug up to loose nut behind the keyboard.

Cheers,

Rob

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.