Increase Resolution Work Flow

Hi There!

I’m not a videographer like most on here and don’t have the video editing software that most on here use on a daily basis.

But I am looking at Video AI to simply upconvert and clean-up lower resolution video from 480 to 1080 and possibly from 1080 to 4K for certain titles. I likely would use default settings initially but may venture into the custom settings spaces once I am more familiar with the product.

I believe that Video AI would be perfect for this based on the results I see on YouTube & the Web, but am a little afraid that the process may be more involved than a simple point to source file, use some default settings or tell the program what you want it to do, and then click “Go.”

Just trying to understand the simplest workflow to upconvert and clean-up .mkv files with potentially multiple audio tracks and subtitle tracks.

From my research it appears that you can feed Video AI a .mkv file and it will output a .mkv file but what I am a little unclear on is if the most recent version of Video AI will transfer ALL the Audio Tracks, Subtitle Tracks, and Chapter Markers to the processed .mkv file untouched? It seems like it may not do that which makes it not a one step process, but perhaps this has changed in more recent versions of the software. A lot of the user posts I was reading were being made on Version 3 and sometimes Version 2 of the software.

If Video AI does not transfer all the Audio Tracks, Subtitle Tracks, and Chapter Markers what is the easiest way to get them in the Process Video from Video AI or vice versa? I’ve read about people using MkvToolNix which I have used very, very basically in the past (The GUI Version). So, is it as simple as adding the source file & the Video AI processed file in MkvToolNix and deselecting the video from the source file but keep ALL the Audio Tracks, Subtitle Tracks, and Chapter Markers from the source file selected? And select only the video file from the Video AI Processed File to “Merge” them together? Are most processing just the video through Video AI and not passing through any audio or subtitles (If Possible)?

How do you ensure that you don’t have any audio sync issues? Or will that be a non issue because the Video AI processed file will be an exact copy of the source video file so it is a direct replacement? I’ve read of user posts saying that sometimes the Video AI Processed file can be longer or shorter than the source file in time or may contain more or less frames than the source file (Although this seemed like it may have been a “Bug” of some sorts). So the concern is if that happens audio could be out of sync or progressively get out of sync. Perhaps this is no longer an issue in the latest version though?

Also I see some process the file through Handbrake which I have also used in the past again very basically, but haven’t used it for a long, long time. Is that to compress the file back down to a more user friendly size? I have a decent size NAS so storage space isn’t really a big concern for me.

Sorry for all the questions but I do feel this piece of software would be excellent for my needs but am a little concerned about the level of expertise required to make it all work.

Thanks In Advance!

I do the mkvtoolnix video swap. As long as it’s a straight upsample and you haven’t tinkered with fps or done any effects like slow motion, it should sync up ok

TVAI still doesn’t carry over anything except video and audio, and multichannel audio is iffy at that

Thanks Gene!

Yes planning a straight upsample… Want everything to be the same except for higher resolution and better picture quality.

So do you just process the video only then and ignore Audio altogether in Video AI?

Also should have asked this initially… Does Video AI automatically detect Progressive vs Interlaced video in the source file? If not what’s the easiest way to do that?

Thanks Again!!

If the original source is stereo only with no alternate tracks, the sound will be carried over unless your source is something TVAI can’t handle without converting. But I generally prefer to keep the original tracks.

TVAI doesn’t appear to detect interlaced videos. I’ve tried some interlaced and interlaced progressive sources and they all import as progressive. I determine whether to deinterlace by whether I can see fields.

Thanks Gene!

Currently converting a file with an unlicensed version of TVAI (Watermark Included) to see how things work.

I didn’t include Audio at all as most of my files will have multichannel audio of some sort. If you say the multichannel audio is hit or miss being passed through in TVAI then I might as well just exclude it and add it back from the source with a MKV merge just to be safe.