Impressions locking up in Studio

FWIW Studio still wont open twice. It does sometimes but about 70-80% of the time it wont open the second time.
Yes I looked for updates and yes I looked for the %temp% file.

Edit - I don’t know why but this is not going to beat me!!!
I have been ‘playing’. Whenever I’m working on a single layer image Studio opens every time. (With a few exceptions). However if I’m working on an image with multiple layers and I send one layer to Studio then it almost always fails to open a second time!!!

regards

I agree that a better GPU would be great but don’t use this excuse to save your day because Studio has problems. a better GPU will provide faster results but Studio, in general, can use any graphic cards and still provides a good functionality.

I am fully aware that a GPU would render my image in 1 minute whereas my old graphics card would render it in 5 minutes; that’s my own problem. Still, Studio has to work right, slow or fast. This is the point.

Sometime ago, your Support (which used to be fast and now is very slow) blamed my old graphics card for loosing my presets from Impression to Impression 2!

With the latest Studio, is also the old graphics card when I press OK and the image that shows on PS is a blank image?

Come on, guys! There are Studio issues and there are graphics card issues. Let’s be clear on this point.

Thanks.

1 Like

An update that ‘may’ help others.
I use Photoline as my go to editor. And PSPx8 as my backup editor. I have no issues starting Studio more than once in PSP. However anytime I call Studio from Photoline it wont load the second time. Note - this only happens when I have more than one layer in an image I’m working on. Single layer images from Photoline work fine. (FWIW I have contacted Photoline and they have tested and found no issues). The work around is to open Photoline. Work in layers as normal. Then if I need to work on a layer in Studio I first send it from Photoline to PSP. (Photoline allows for external editors). Then once finished in Studio send it back to Photoline via PSP. Messy but it works. Conclusion - There is an incompatibility somewhere with Studio files. And before anyone blames Photoline there are PSP users having the same issue. So not all Photoline nor PSP have the same issue.
Now as for Impressions locking up Studio. I have found that if I start Studio. Open Impressions and let it load the first screen full of presets I can then scroll down and load another screen full. And so on until all presets are loaded. Once loaded Impressions works fine. BUT But if I try to scroll through the presets before they finish loading Studio/Impression goes on strike and Studio shuts down. Conclusion - don’t force Impressions to load the presets. Suggestion to Topaz.- There are way too many presets in Impressions. How about grouping them somehow so that rather than having to load them all before work starts give us a way of only loading a single category of presets.
I have found that once the presets are loaded Impressions works fine. Albeit a bit slow but nonetheless it works. It’s the presets causing the problems. CPU - GPU may make a difference. But for those having trouble a simple breakdown of the presets would help.
regards

Just a quick update for anyone still following this thread. I had trouble with this newest version of Topaz Studio as well. Following the advice from the admin I updated my graphics driver - it hadn’t updated because the updater was out of date! Once I sorted that Topaz Studio has been working - not lightning fast since my machine is at the low end of the recommended hardware - but it does work.
I have a several year old Toshiba C55-A Satellite laptop with this for graphics:
Intel(R) HD Graphics
Driver Version: 10.18.10.4653
Operating System: Windows* 10 Home (10.0.15063)
Default Language: English (United States)
Installed DirectX* Version: 12.0
Supported DirectX* Version: 11.0
Shader Version: 5.0
OpenGL* Version: 4.0
OpenCL* Version: 1.2
Physical Memory: 16263 MB
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU 2020M @ 2.40GHz
Processor Speed: 2395 MHz
Vendor ID: 8086
Device ID: 0156
Device Revision: 09

• Processor Graphics Information *

Processor Graphics in Use: Intel(R) HD Graphics
Video BIOS: 0.47
Current Resolution: 1366 x 768
Supported Modes
1366 x 768 (60p Hz)

1 Like

Topaz responses on this forum are BS. No such problem exists with other photo or other processing software on my PC and Topaz was running okay for a month or so. Recently it has ground to a standstill and makes processing unbearable so I switch back to PS and LR. At least they work for me.

Also getting tech support in a reasonable time is a challenge. Last response took one month and three reminders. They obviously have problems. Best to use other software and periodically check in to see if Topaz has overcome its problems.

1 Like

FWIW I have given up on Studio/Impressions. Topaz drove me to looking at alternatives for my needs. I ‘discovered’ Filter Forge. Not for the faint at heart but very flexible. Very powerful. Slow but it has never locked up my computer!!

2 Likes

I have been trying to use impressions via lightroom, direct in impressions 2, and thru studio and it does not work. Very disappointed in all the money I have dumped into these two programs (topz 16 bundle and Topaz Studio) All my Adobe lightroom and Photoshop work fine and so does NIK.