Hurricane Lane Update and Perched

I’m beginning to feel like a foreign correspondent. Hurricane Lane, is moving NNW irritatingly slow. The eye is 194 nautical miles SSW of Kailua Kona. With the storm swirling counter clockwise we have not been getting any wind and very littlie rain from the outer bands. This is because Mauna Loa, Mauna Kea and Hualalai located in the center of the island are blocking both wind and rain coming from the east. Hilo, however, is getting soaked - “bigly”.

I think once the eye passes due west of Kona we should expect both wind and rain. Last night I heard the predicted path was beginning to drift west of the Big Island which is a good thing.

My plan for today is to get more wine!

As for the photo: ISO 400, 1/500th, f/8, 400 mm, taken at a small pond on Camano Island during our last sojourn to the mainland.

11 Likes

Love you plan! It’s exactly the right thing to do. Good luck!

1 Like

I absolutely love your hurricane antidote of vino. As long as you are not in a “direct line” I think it is the way to weather the storm. On the other hand, if one lives in the direct path or probable direct path I would err on the side of caution and seek shelter. This from having lived in both hurricane and typhoon prone localities.

1 Like

Good luck Doug!
Nice image, too. The look of this guy reminds of the eagle in the muppet show :slight_smile:

1 Like

Beautiful capture and hooe the strom doesn’t cause too much damage!