How to Use Proteus

Hey, everyone! I’ve been using Topaz for quite a while now, I’ve decided that Proteus is the best and most realistic A.I. upscaling model to use. Topaz Labs recently released v3 of Proteus, which I did not like at all. It over sharpened everything, created moire patterns, and looked water-colored. So I’ve been using v2 of Proteus. When I process my videos, I reduce all the noise as possible. I set “Reduce Noise” to 100. However, I do not like doing this because it removes details. But I am forced to use this setting as not reducing noise creates artifacts. It keeps the noise but it looks unnatural and distorted. What I want to know is how to leave in noise, but keep it looking natural. Thank you!

1 Like

I also prefer and use Proteus v2 to v3.
Revert compression high values also reduce noise and can keep things more natural than an extreme noise reduction setting, in general unless it’s a very noisy/grainy source I don’t recommend going below 15 when it comes to noise reduction setting if you want to keep details.
Revert compression values between 50 and 70 should do the trick with recover details around 30.

1 Like

Hello, jphilip-649517! I too have used revert compression to reduce noise, but it usually ends up distorting the video. And as you said, it doesn’t work with very noisy/grainy sources, which I always process. Do you know of any other way because I’ve really tried everything to preserve details AND reduce noise while not distorting the video. Thank you for your response!

hola! neatvideo or hybrid filters ( denoise and reduce grain)

Best I have found when I have to use high levels of noise reduction, to the point it reduces details, is to add lots of large grain. It adds perceived detail/texture back into the video and keeps it looking more natural. It’s not ideal, but it’s better than a washed-out video that looks like a digital painting.

Use a combination of compression reversion and noise reduction, but don’t use too much of either. I find compression reduction works better, but doesn’t remove everything noise reduction does, so I mostly use a combination of both, usually with higher compression reversion, and low levels of noise reduction.

Also, anti-aliasing in conjunction with compression reversion can help soften the noise without removing too much detail. It sucks because then you can’t use the de-blurring filter (which is superior to the sharpening filter), but you can still get away with low-mid levels of sharpening without creating artifacts, and still come out with a decent result.