How to load Avisynth scripts into TVEAI

What the error.log says ?

it’s empty

1 Like

What do you do to build the virtual Avi? I always open a command prompt in the Dir where i have the script file, than i type; start avfs AvisynthScriptName.avs and press enter…
Do you have the avfs.exe in C:\Windows ?

yes

same - i’ve tried from a network location and local disk and also with very simple commands inside the avs. Do i need to register a dll or something in order to get it to work?

If i run

pfm formatters
PFMISOFS “C:\Windows\PismoFileMount\pfmisofs.dll”
PFMPFOLDERFS “C:\Windows\PismoFileMount\pfmpfolderfs.dll”
PFMRAMFS “C:\Windows\PismoFileMount\pfmramfs.dll”
PFMZIPFS “C:\Windows\PismoFileMount\pfmzipfs.dll”

I do net see a avfs.dll

Do i need to use vapoursynth for this? I am trying this with regular avisynth scripts.

No need to register anything nor using vapoursynth. I remember to get an empty error log when i was using a more recent version of the avfs.exe and after replacing that version with an older one everything started to work perfectly.

Try with the AVFS.exe included in this version… Download VapourSynth64-Portable-R44.7z - VideoHelp

1 Like

‘Perfectly’ is tentative, I fear. Not to be too alarmist, but I have reason to believe AVFS may not be entirely frame-accurate. Using a VS filter like MCTemporalDenoise, or other denoisers, recent encoding movies have shown small hiccups (frames jumping back and forth). That is very bad. The input filter I use, DGSource, is 100% frame-accurate, which only leaves AVFS (v1.0.0.57) as the culprit, reasonably assuming TVAI isn’t the cause.

More at 11.

1 Like

That’s what I was doing since the beginning v1.0 before AVS support that came with v1.7 if I remember correctly.

But there is a better workflow. It is to use instead the AVFS.exe from Vapoursynth that is a 64 bits version. You don’t need to install and use Vapoursynth, just download the portable version of Vapoursynth and extract AVFS.exe
With the regular 32 bits AVFS you will likely get OOM errors when using complex scripts or some RAM hungry filters and you can’t use 64 bits avisynth plugins.

EDIT @Carlito I see you spotted it too.

1 Like

I’ve spotted it after carefully reading all the posts in the Doom9 thread about AVFS until I’ve found this post by poisondeathray… Avisynth virtual file system - Page 12 - Doom9's Forum
But, at least for me, only old AVFS.exe versions work, new ones don’t. I’m using 1 version from 2018 included in VapourSynth64-Portable-R44

Give a try to the AVFS.exe included in Vapoursynth portable. Today I will try to find some time to check that problem you’re having with the hiccups when using denoisers in a script

1 Like

There is also one thing you can do to make the creation of the virtual AVI file easier.

Create this Windows registry key

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\avsfile\Shell\Mount\command]
@="\"C:\\your\\pathto\\avfs.exe\" \"%1\""

This will add a shell menu ‘mount’ when you right click any AVS script file. Right click and select mount and it will automatically mount your script.
Works for me on Windows 10 Pro 21H2

2 Likes

After finishing a 2x upscale with an AVFS Avi as the source i can’t spot any frames jumping back and forth in all the 44minutes of the result.
Avs script with MCTemporalDenoise(settings=medium) and DGSource as the source filter. AVFS (v1.0.0.45) from the VapourSynth64-Portable-R44
I’ve used the Cli… hate the Gui :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Many thanks for this @jphilip-649517 :+1:
Tomorrow I will see if it works in my windows 10 version

How do you make that work for VapourSynth files? Didn’t work for me (Windows 11). Maybe I put in the wrong data type.

For Avs files works but not as @jphilip-649517 described. Maybe something to do with Windows versions… i don’t know.
Anyway… Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Shell
Create a new Key with the name Mount
Select Mount and Create a Key with the name command. Edit that command key and add this… “C:\Windows\avfs.exe” “%1”
If you have avfs.exe in another place add the correct path to it.
Press F5 to refresh the Registry

1 Like

Sadly, that didn’t work for me, either. For one, there’s no HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Shell (only ‘shell’), and nothing I added made one iota of a difference. This is on Windows 11 Pro, btw.

Thanks for testing. Let me give you an example of a movie I just did (and which got ruined):

Example EVA

I have had this occur with both MCTemporalDenoise and QTGMC. Maybe it’s even caused by Preview seeking while TVAI is processing?

No problem. I’ve watched your example file and can clearly see frames jumping back and forth… Strange indeed :thinking:
That happens every time on the same frames or it’s random?
The only way you have to check if it’s the preview that is causing those problems is to turn off the preview. I’m sure you already know this; when the preview is turned off you get faster rendering speeds.
Anyway… If the problem occurs only in those frames nothing is lost, as long as you want to have some work of patience by Trimming and joining new frames that doesn’t have those problems. That can be done with Avisynth/Vapoursynth

" The context method is now very different in Windows 11 as has been note several places and not adaptable to changes.
Registry fixes for this are either not available or do not work well. "

The last post here :point_right: Adding custom commands on the windows 11 right click menu - Super User

1 Like