Halftone and texture patterns remove (descreen)

It would be good to add this feature for newspaper and old photo scans.
Thanks

Since the Pattern Suppressor doesn’t work on M1 macs without alternative It’s a good idea.

This is such a common problem with images we have to work with as graphics professionals, I’m a little surprised this halftone descreening, and repeating pattern removal problem has not been tackled head-on as a perfect category of image clean-up for AI to fix. Calculations have to be applied to images to produce the halftone rosetta for everything from newspapers to magazines, whether black and white (one color), or other scenarios such as screen printing, and special duo-tone and tri-tone (etc.) effects. Many times this is the only artwork available to start from for various projects for customers. A software solution which applied AI to reversing the process is what I originally was searching for to resolve this issue for me, rather than trying to approximate it by blurring, and then trying to apply sharpening of one form or another to get something usable.

Please take Photo AI and/or Denoise AI in this direction as one of the options of types of photos which can be fixed. The ability to take a halftone image back to a contone image would be extremely helpful to so many people, of course myself included. I have a project right now, and repeatedly have projects which need this.

2 Likes

I couldn’t agree more!

Thanks for the idea and suggestion! Make sure that you do not forget to vote for your idea :slight_smile: