Gigapixel v5.5.2

v5.5.2
Download: Windows, | Mac
Released May 10, 2021.

Improvements

• Optimizations and less downloading of models for newer Intel hardware

Fixes

• Stability improvements on MacOS Mojave and MacOS High Sierra
  • Save path should no longer overflow when selecting “Custom” in the save dialog

v5.5.1
Released April 26, 2021.

Fixes

• Stability improvements on MacOS Mojave and MacOS High Sierra.
  • Application should no longer crash when “Disable Model Downloading” is turned on, with CPU set in the Preferences, and processing begins when no models have been downloaded.
  • Fixed crashes for when application encounters an error while processing. An error message will show up instead.
  • Fixed cropped images not processing when crop box’s left side is on the left of the image, or the top side is on the top of the image

v5.5.0
Released April 21, 2021.

Major Features

• AI engine has been brought into Gigapixel. This should greatly improve performance on modern hardware.
  • All models updated for those on newer hardware. These models should be slightly sharper than the legacy models
  • New model - “Very Compressed”
  • New trial flow. No more 30-day trials, but instead a trial will place a watermark on your image
  • “Send Feedback” option in the Help menu - have a feature request you want to send to the dev team? Use this option to send us a 500-character report.

Improvements

• Interactive tooltips have been added for each model, to get a quick sense of what each can do
  • Controls tutorial has been slightly updated
  • Better caching when saving

Fixes

• Preview window should not show as blank before previewing for the first time
  • Filenames should elide in the middle instead of the left
  • DNG support should be fully-functional for those coming from pre-5.4.x versions of Gigapixel
  • “Loading images” text no longer overlaps the FileListView caret
  • Saving text has been changed to show you what the program is doing when processing (downloading, processing, finishing, etc.)

For those wanting to download all of the models and circumvent downloading the optimized models when they’re used, you can download them here:

Windows | Mac

To load the models into Gigapixel, do the following:

1. Make sure Gigapixel is closed.
  2. Unzip the contents of the download that corresponds with your operating system
  3. Navigate to C:\ProgramData\Topaz Labs LLC\Topaz Gigapixel AI\tgrc on Windows, or /Library/Application Support/Topaz Labs LLC/Topaz Gigapixel AI/tgrc on Mac
  4. Copy the contents of the unzipped archive into the folder in step 3.
  5. Open Gigapixel AI and verify that “Downloading Optimized Models” does not show up.
17 Likes

Thanks! Weirdly for me now “Model Downloading” method previews take an enormous amount of time, 30 seconds +/-, any resolution, any Ai Model with high internet bandwidth / download usage (up to 200Mbps for almost each preview) … local models method takes about 5 seconds with no difference in quality from when you download those … running on the RTX3090, 1000Mbps/1Gbps Internet Download speed O.o … is it just me?

3 Likes

Me same. It tells me model downloading

2 Likes

I did a test in line mode. And for my part, the output image seems slightly brighter. But it’s hardly noticeable. Otherwise, I have no problem with the color.

Yeah weirdly JPEGView is now showing every exported pic slightly greyish … never happened before O.o

2 Likes

I noticed a detail, every time I import an image of the same resolution for an identical upscal, it marks each time, “Downloading model”. Is this normal? Normally, if it downloads the model once, it should not mark it for the next image.

3 Likes

For me it downloads even for every preview starting from 0.5 scale even if you back and forth between models to check the difference! (up to 30 seconds) … if you leave “Model Downloading” enabled.

2 Likes

by checking the box, it does not put me “Downloading model” anymore. Thank you for your help. I had not thought that it had unchecked when updating Gigapixel. Also, I don’t know why, but it went back to CPU when upgrading. I just saw it. But in CPU, now it’s even faster than 5.4.5 in GPU mode lol. And the 5.5.0 in GPU, and instant rendering

A 1920 x 1080 image to a x6 resolution in GPU mode, it takes barely 1 second on my RTX 2080 :open_mouth:. It’s incredible how fast. I already like this new version.

1 Like

@taylor.bishop

Hmmm, a switch for download all Models instandly or a packed zip with the Models.

I know that the intension is to update the Models instead of the UI in future but as with VEAI and the other TL Software there are some people with a special need.

You could satisfy these people in this way.

Maybe also with a link in the dropdown menu of the software to the models.

Download does not work on my Mac (Mojave). It signs me out of my present user automatically. It cannot be installed.

Does this new Release of Gigapixel work on Apple M1 Macs (natively)? I have been holding off trying to install Gigapixel until we got support for M1 Macs. Thank You very much for working to add M1 Support to all your products. Right now Sharpen and DeNoise are the only 2 of your apps that I believe officially support M1 Macs and Big Sur natively.

I did the examples for my blog on an M1 MBP yesterday, no problem, just lots of speed :wink:

I dunno why but the new version is stuck at 2 % of downloading the model. :neutral_face:

2 Likes

Same here, it signs me out and cannot be installed. Also using a Mac with Mojave.

3 Likes

Mojave issue confirmed by my own experience and reported during beta testing. No problem with Catalina or Big Sur.

2 Likes

In this new version of Gigapixel all previews of all modes look the same like crap as in the latest denoise AI previews. So Gigapixel and Denoise are not useable to me atm. I would like to join the beta testers for Gigapixel and Denoise too if possible to be able to report issues like this before they end up in a final release. :neutral_face:

3 Likes

When trying to update my current GigaPixel AI 5.4.5 installation to the latest 5.5.0 release with the included updater, macOS finder is crashing. I am thown back to login window.
This is happening on macOS 10.14.6 Mojave with latest patches installed.

2 Likes

Same with me (same configuration). It logs me out of my session automatically only to have to resign in again…but still can’t install.

1 Like

Yes, same here; logs me out and can’t install on macOS 10.14.6 Mojave using the TopazGigapixelAI-5.5.0-osx-Full-Installer.

3 Likes