Gigapixel v5.2.3

1 Like

I’m loving the results with the new Compressed AI model. Great update, thank you!

2 Likes

Gigapixel is my favorite image correction app ever – and I’ve used quite a few!

See some of my own examples on my blog, posted today.

2 Likes

A fresh coat of paint (UI change) is not a “major feature” in anyone’s world but Topaz Labs.

3 Likes

Just curious if anyone has thoughts/experience on what makes the most sense (and best quality) when it comes to using Gigapixel and stylized filters. Is it better to apply artistic/stylized filters before or after enlargement (Gigapixel)? Thoughts?

The issue I had with Gigapixel producing distorted output when OpenVINO was enabled is SOLVED! :smiley:

THANKS so much to whichever developer(s) looked at this and fixed it! :wink:

2 Likes

Downloaded and installed without any problems. Like the new look and the speed improvement.

"GPU image quality has artifacts not present when processing with just OpenVINO or CPU. "

Are this NEW artifacts - or the “old” artifact we have for a while like the “red-stripe bug” ?

I will wait until GPU quality issue is fixed before considering upgrading.

1 Like
  1. Installation was just fine, look is great - what is the display font?

2. The preferences GPU toggle when disabled in favor of OpenVINO - when reopening the preferences pane (either in the same session or after an application restart), the toggle for GPU toggle remains on and the text “Allowed graphics memory consumption” is greyed out and the memory toggle is invisible. Unsure if the Gigapixel is running with both enabled or this is a CX glitch. Please advise. Can forward/post a screen view if desired.

3. The AI model used in v4.4.6 is still producing OpenVINO superior results and especially DOES NOT introduce edge artifacts like every Gigapixel release AND Beta version since. Maybe this can be included like the Low Light mode of DeNoise which works great by the way. Cab discuss and provide images if desired.

It is just a display glitch as Taylor mentioned above, if the Allowed Graphics Memory is greyed out GPU is not being used.

Ok i purchased the yearly update to my perpetual license :roll_eyes: Its about $40 with a cupon code. Now i have some bugs to report.
In preferences GPU mode tries to auto-enable every time Gigapixel is opened or in fact every time a new image is loaded.

Its very hard to even get it to upscale an image in CPU mode, you have to manually turn GPU mode off every time you change model or open a new image or open the program.

GPU mode is drastically worse than CPU only mode, i never use GPU mode it has stripes running through the images and is blurry.

I hope this bug gets fixed quickly.

My system is windows 10. Ryzen1700x GTX1070 32GB RAM.

The new AI model is best thought of as another variation to choose from IMO, it’s nothing revolutionary, just a bonus to have and can give more defined results in certain images.

1 Like

I only use GP AI to upscale old colourslide scans and low-res JPGs to view on a 4k TV. I don’t use any filters, but my understanding is that GP Ai should be used at the very end of the editing process, since it cannot save RAW files.
However, as always it’s worth experimenting. Unless someone else with direct experience can tell you which way to go, try processig a few images both ways round and see which you prefer.

1 Like

You don’t tell the full story. I for one have no use for the new crop tool, but the new Compressed mode has done a mostly brilliant job in salvaging old JPG scans of colourslides of mine from donkeys years ago and old low-res JPGs generally. It still struggles with rendering faces if there isn’t enough detail in the originals, but I believe the next update will enable one to make adjustments manually.

Thanks. I suspect that waiting til the end is probably best. Still, I hope others who have more direct experience might chime in as well.

The “reset to defaults” arrow button no longer appears for me with this update. Did it install/update wrong or was that removed? I know it was there in v5.1.7.

Thanks!

I have just one question. When will you decide to stop to enable discrete GPU even when the user doesn’t want ? I launched a batch yesterday, and today I discovered that many of the renders were done with discrete GPU (because of typical artifacts). And when I checked the settings, yep, that’s it.

I’m really tired to loose time by remaking the same things other and other again, because engine decided to change the settings, because, why not ?

What d’you think ?

Edit : Unbelievable. I can’t even un-check the option. OK. Go back to previous version.

2 Likes

Its now very very difficult to disable GPU
 It auto enables whenever you do ANYTHING in the program. And GPU mode not only creates artifacts it creates blurry less detailed output. I hope they prioritize a fix soon.

1 Like

Just downloaded 5.2 from the link in the email you sent out. In that email it says the older version will remain on my computer. Just to let you know it didn’t!!

1 Like

This is a graphical glitch, if the “Allowed graphics memory consumption” button is greyed out then you’re not using GPU mode.

This is definitely confusing / annoying however - I’ll have a fix out for this in the next point release.

2 Likes