Gigapixel v5.0.2

I upscaled five 800 x 600px pictures X4 with multiple faces using this 5.0.2 version and they all came out perfect. I’ve had issues in the past. Also they took five seconds each. I hope Topaz creates a plugin file for Affinity Photo soon.

Still crashes! Crash files and image file submitted. Giga does create a PNG, but crashes when I try to output any other file type.

I’ve also seen blue/cyan smudges near red edges.

What I’ve done lately in some of the more prominent cases is to do a matching enlargement in Photoshop, and then use that as a color correction layer. It preserves the feature enhancements of Gigapixel, while cleaning up the color artifacts.

Just a small problem. I run GigAI in windowed mode, slightly smaller than my 3840x2160 screen. I place the window to the right side so the recycle bin and some icons are visible at the left side. I exit GigAI, but the next time it, it come up “docked” to the left side of the screen.

Is there a way to have it “remember” the last used screen position?

1 Like

This new release is wonderful. I’m using an AMD Radeon RX 580 in a Razer eGPU box on a Mac Mini late 2014 with Mojave (using the PurgeWrangler script to enable). My eGPU is absolutely motoring away 100% with a huge speed up of Gigapixel upscales. Absolutely fantastic!! Can this support be rolled out for the other products in the family as appropriate?

I do the same. I wish the Remini level face upscaling should present in GPAI

1 Like

Quote from users: “it only clarifies faces - the rest of the photo gets soft, losing detail… And some look very ‘plasticized,’ or you’ll get a random ear on a forehead or creepy stuff like this.”

Thanks @AiDon to mention this too @taylor.bishop
I also don’t understand this new behavior, if needed it should be optional so I can press a button and overwrite the original.
In technical speech the originals isn’t overwrite the program always must write the new data to a new file. After finishing it could delete the original and rename the newly created to to original file name.

The original file is needed for the upscaling process so overwriting it on the fly wouldn’t possible,

Maybe the renaming is the problem?

Would be nice to get feedback from @taylor.bishop

Gigapixel weakness is now the small face upscaling/correcting. Need some improvement on it. Could be the 1st at priority.

1 Like

Just check what happens if you call PS from LR, the purpose of the external editor is to adjust the original.

And if you call any other resize app it updates the file sent.

You need to first understand the workflow of non-destructive image processors like LR, Capture One, ON1, etc., etc. and how they use external editors.

Hi,
I don’t understand what you want to tell me?
If I use PS from LR, LR makes a copy of my original file, PS open it and if I save it in PS I have two files in LR. One original and the modified file from PS. Just like I described it.

Correction: PS is a special case if I call PS from LR, I only use SmartObject opening, PS opens the original RAW with the LR settings in Adobe Raw. Any saving from PS goes to a copy, TIF or PSD file format, the original RAW file is never changed.
If I use a other editor, like Gigapixel, LR makes a file copy before.

Maybe you misunderstand the term ‘original’ in my post? The ‘original’, I mean, is the one Gigapixel use. This is the copy LR generated (TIF file from the CR2 with LR tweaks applied) which should be overwritten not the original (CR2 file) from LR. Overwriting the LR original isn’t possible it’s a CR2 file and I don’t know any program which use this Canon internal format to save data. Even the Canon editor only append data to the CR2 files the camera generated.

The crash issues with the SSD iMac with Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB are still not resolved :wink:

Crashed Thread: 3 TImpServerThread

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Application Specific Information:
abort() called

Application Specific Signatures:
Graphics hardware encountered an error and was reset: 0x00000013

Everybody knows that as it is not part of the external editors usage in LR. So why do you even bring it up when my post, if you read it, was talking about standard workflow where external editors DO overwrite the original image PASSED. LR does NOT send an original image in the catalog unless it is NOT a RAW image and you ask to send that in the edit dialog.

FYI the terminology is correct, the image passed is a ORIGINAL image in the catalog.

1 Like

Ok.
We both want that Gigapixel overwrite the original file passed from extern in Gigapixel and don’t use ‘save as’ like it do it now, Correct?

Yes as was in 5.0.1 - “External Editor support has been added on Windows. For photo editing applications that allow you to open images with external programs, Gigapixel will process it, save the original image, then quit

1 Like

Since the update to v502 the final result doesn’t show AI improvement but rather looks as simply ‘bicubic’ upscaled – quite different to the crispy look in the preview window.
I tried uninstalling + reinstalling and tried with discrete GPU ‘on’ and ‘off’, but without success.

Previously I had used v492 which worked well and also v500 (for a test to experience the difference of natural/man-made AI setup) without noticing this obvious lack of final quality.

• Any hints what I can do to make the final rendering include the AI improvement as shown in the preview again?

macBook Pro 11,5 (mid 2015), 2,5 GHz Intel Core i7, discrete AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB.

1 Like

Iam trying to do a restorative project for old PS1 games FMV’s / cutscenes (all credits to the original makers of course).

Iam trialing Gigapixel (v5.0.2) but owning Topaz video enhance AI, problem is that when upscaling the original video that has a resolution of 320x224 (4:3 aspect ratio) it gets black borders obviously due to the difference in aspect ratio. I tried to edit the individual frames using Gigapixel to the closest 16:9 resolution but i cant choose constraining factor to be both width and height. It is either height or width or ratio. But in the UI it claimes that you should be able too. If video enhance did it (and i dont mean crop to fill frame) but actually reworked the image to a 16:9 format it would be golden.

GigaPixel works on ratios proportional to the original image.

Hi all, a new version has been released. You can find the thread here.