Gigapixel scale values

Is there a way to input an actual percentage value, such as 150%, instead of 2x, 4x, etc in Gigapixel? This would be easier in my workflow than doing the math.

You can choose a custom height, if you want 150% and for example your input image has an height of 2000 pixels then for a 150% scale write 3000 pixels in the max height under the resize by height button.
But be aware that there is no model optimized for custom outputs. It will use the 2X model then the output will be downsized using whatever classic method has been coded in the software.
So the time of processing will not be shorter than using 2X.

That’s disappointing. What if it’s 132%? or 241% Not as easy computing pixel dimensions for a uneven number as it would be to simply input the percentage as it had been in the past. But my fault, I made some assumptions that this would be similar to past iterations of their resizing apps in scaling options. Unfortunately it’s not. I’ll have to work from width or height until I find a more efficient method.

Then just enter 1.32 or 2.41 in the Custom Scale box. For 150% put 1.5. Or am I missing something?

3 Likes

@PaulM I think Mackd is missing what you just stated. Its very easy to use any upscaling amount.

Is it that straightforward? If I increase something 100%, isn’t it 2.00 times the original? If I wanted something 3.00 times larger, wouldn’t that be an increase of 200%?

That depends on whether you’re increasing it “by” a percentage or “to” a percentage. If you increase something by 100% then yes, it’s now 200% of the original. If you increase it to 100% then the size doesn’t change. As a scale factor of 1 in Gigapixel leaves the size unchanged we can safely say that it increases the size to 100%, 2 increases it to 200% etc. If you want to increase the size by a particular percentage then just add 1 to the scale figure.

For completeness, and to further complicate matters, increasing the size by a scale factor of 2 (by 100% or to 200%) in Gigapixel actually increases both the height and the width by 2, giving an overall area/pixel count 4 times the size of the original. If you actually want the image to be e.g. twice the original size then you’d need to find the square root of the scale factor - 1.41 in this case - and use that.

1 Like

If there is a specific size in mind you can select either the width or height button and set the size in inches , cm or pixels. Then set the resolution (pixels per inch/cm) and resize. The selected width or height will be the controlling factor.