Gigapixel Freezes

I just downloaded the new Gigapixel and it immediately freezes. These are my system parameters. let me know what other info you need. Please advise. Thanks.

Processor - Intel(R) Core™ i7-6500 CPU @ 2.50GHz - 2.59GHz
Installed RAM - 8.00GB (7.84 usable)
System type - 64 bit OS, x64 - based processor
Graphics - Intel(R) HD Graphics 520

Here are the system requirements for GigaPixel AI:

Hi @babinc

And just to expand what @AiDon has said above, you will note that your system RAM is at the bare minimum.

Plus as the Intel HD 520 is integrated and has just 128MB of RAM ‘onboard’ it will use as much as is available of the system RAM/

As noted here:-
" How many GB is Intel HD Graphics 520?

Whenever 128 MB VRAM of intel HD 520 is completely used then only it uses shared RAM and intel HD 520 will never use more than 512 GB of shared RAM because it is incapable of handling all those shared memory. "

Therefore as you will appreciate your system does not even meet the minimum requirements to run Gigapixel…let alone many other RAM and GPU hungry programs :frowning:

I had assumed that I was working on minimal requirements, so I’m looking into upgrading my system. Thank you to both of you, I appreciate your help.

I actually built a new computer because of AI. I had an i7 as well, 16 gig ram and onboard graphics. My new computer has the AMD Ryzen 7 3700 8 core processor, 32 gig of ram and a AMD Sapphire GPU with 8 gig of ram onboard.

The difference is night and day. I’ve also found the Gigapixel takes the most horsepower. Once you get your hardware upgraded, you’ll find Gigapixel remarkable. I have some Canon Powershot G2 4 mb images from 2002. Image size is 5x7 at 300 dpi. I’m uprezzing them 4x and the results are amazing.

1 Like

Thanks Doug.

I’m looking into upgrading my system now. In my case it means a new motherboard since the memory card is soldered to it. Since mine is a laptop, I’m not going to be able to do it myself, so I’m starting to get some estimates.
I thank you all for your input.

Hi @babinc

A new motherboard in a laptop, I wonder if it will be more cost effective to get a new laptop rather than try to upgrade the current one???

Also, please don’t forget that apart from the increase in RAM you will need a graphics ‘card’ that has sufficient VRAM onboard as you don’t want to be sharing system RAM as in your current laptop :wink:

Is it worth it or not? That’s what I have to find out. Just quickly checking prices, to replace what I have, with what I want in it, will cost about $1,600 or so, which is roughly what I paid for this one a couple of years ago.

I have the Lenovo, Thinkpad, X1 Carbon, with an Inten i7, 512 gb SSD