Gigapixel AI v4.9.2

The program prompts me to purchase it again just now

Try logging in again make sure you use the correct user id. If it doesn’t work raise a support request at the main website.

Bug reports for 4.9.2 on Windows 10:

1. The Topaz Gigapixel AI.exe process won’t always die after clicking the top-right close box, and then I can’t start it again; doesn’t show up in Task Manager, but does in ProcessExplorer64 from where it can be killed and then restarted.
  2. Navigator sidebar is truncated at the right; can’t see right-hand side of height button, can only see 1st half of the first digit of the set scale, can see about half of the reset icon after Autodetect Settings, only two digits of Suppress Noise and Remove Blur (maybe that’s all there is, though don’t I remember a decimal point and another digit?)
  3. Remembering the settings from the last invocation seems like a useful feature that has mostly gone, though, after a restart, they’re still there under the preview window, tantalizingly out of reach, because they will disappear if anything is changed in the navigator panel.
  4. Gigapixel is silently failing to write a resized file regardless of how I set the settings. I snuck up on the app from behind and convinced it to write the file after I changed the input file type to JPG rather than a PNG.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Navigator sidebar is truncated at the right; can’t see right-hand side of height button, can only see 1st half of the first digit of the set scale, can see about half of the reset icon after Autodetect Settings, only two digits of Suppress Noise and Remove Blur (maybe that’s all there is, though don’t I remember a decimal point and another digit?)

The truncated sidebar menu is the result of using advanced scaling settings for your windows display. I’m using a custom scaling size of 116% for font size calibration purposes. Setting it back to 100% “fixes” the menu clipping. Hopefully they can make the menu size scale factor independent in the future.

1 Like

So this option will be like a backup option just in case of non-intel CPU or old intel CPU not supported by OpenVINO module.

Gigapixel should inform the users that using CPU TF is not just a slow backup option, but an option that can lead to very considerably better results compared to both GPU and CPU VINO (did not test GPU VINO yet).

Unfortunately JPEG2RAW is not in active development at this time. We’ve been lightly exploring some options with it, but haven’t decided on anything at this point.

Just add PNG source file support and I am happy as is. Exporting image files from a PDF usually results in a PNG file, often with bad compression artifacts from the original JPEG compression. Currently I have to go the extra step of converting the PNG to JPEG just for JPEG2RAW being able to read the file.

Frankly PDF extraction is about the only case where JPEG2RAW is even useful for me, because most JPEGs are of such high quality nowadays (with modern cameras/phones and high bandwidth mobile plans).

Scaling problems with advanced scaling are common, with generally a common fix. I just tested, and at least for me it works. I set a custom scaling of 216% (my monitor is 4K and automatic is 200) and then ran Gigapixel. Right side cut off. Closed the program, right-clicked and went to properties, compatibility, “Change high DPI settings.” Checked “Override high DPI behavior” and set to “System (enhanced).” Saved and restarted Gigapixel, no problem on the right side.

I normally make the change on the shortcut, either desktop or Start menu, but it should work if applied directly to the program.

On my system that and every other Compatibility option related to DPI has no effect whatsoever. It also makes no difference if I do it to the shortcut, or directly to the program itself.

Changing back to 100% in the advanced display settings does work.

All I can say is “that’s odd.”

I even tried rebooting in between just to make sure that the program’s property changes had really been registered with Windows. I have a Gsync monitor, but I can’t image that it would have anything to do with preventing the compatibility fix from working.

Hi Andy, I’ve identified the problem and I’ll be pushing out a fix for it in the next few days.

Hard to say. Microsoft says: “There is no magic bullet or single fix to resolve all DPI Scaling problems.” The ultimate fix is full dpi-awareness of the software, and from Taylor’s post it sounds like Topaz realizes that. I’ve made my own software dpi-aware, and I’m aware (no pun intended) that it isn’t always easy for odd dpi-values.

Besides the compatibility vs scaling, one other thing you can play with is the settings for Display > Change the size of text, apps, and other items

So, in summary, the DCH drivers seem to make a big difference for processing Faces and, in the case of the image I tested, the processing time was dropped to equal that of the GPU + Face.

That’s a very interesting result! Thank you.

Best,
Myunghoon

On my system that and every other Compatibility option related to DPI has no effect whatsoever. It also makes no difference if I do it to the shortcut, or directly to the program itself.

Using a custom setting lower than 125% by chance?

Yes, but the menu is still clipped off on the right.

DPI settings lower than 125% result in Windows using the old Windows XP style scaling, which works similar to the “Application” type DPI override setting. Changing “Compatibility” DPI setting has no effect then.

I usually prefer this kind of scaling, because it increases font sizes of old style applications (not fully DPU aware) instead of upscaling fonts graphically (corresponding to “System” or “System (Enhanced)”. This is preferable to blurry text. The downside is that some applications see their content cut of by window borders.

All that being said: GP v4.9.2 having cut-off UI elements does not seem to be based on that Windows scaling method limitation, it seems to be its own bug. I tried both methods of scaling using lower and higher than 125% scaling and the GP issue remains.

Hi Andy, I’ve identified the problem and I’ll be pushing out a fix for it in the next few days.

Sounds like they are on it already. :wink:

Remembering the settings from the last invocation seems like a useful feature that has mostly gone, though, after a restart, they’re still there under the preview window, tantalizingly out of reach, because they will disappear if anything is changed in the navigator panel.

Hey Sean, mind explaining this one a bit further? What steps can I take to reproduce this on my end?

Gigapixel is silently failing to write a resized file regardless of how I set the settings. I snuck up on the app from behind and convinced it to write the file after I changed the input file type to JPG rather than a PNG.

Also, could you send me the file that this is happening with? You can email me it to me at taylor.bishop@topazlabs.com if you’re unable to attach it here or PM it to me. Thanks!

Hi all, a new version of Gigapixel has been released. The release thread can be found here.