Gigapixel 7.0.4

Can you help send the full orignal images here so that we can investigate?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/QHXN0i7hQ8IK6GBzSHRP

My guess is that it is related to some changes we made to ensure tile consistency. If you try putting the ghqv2-192 model (you get from beta stage) into the ghq v2 model position (just change model name), in the app the model will not give you the result you want. Is that correct?

The new gHQ v2 models seem to have more denoising potential, while I feel like the beta models (192x192) perform better on already denoised source material. Honestly, I’m happy with both models and use them both. gHQv2-128x128 delivers better results if the photo already contains noise.

It would be fantastic if you could “revamp - revitalize and if possible, and fully repair :)” the ggnh0hh10-v3, ggn5hhh5-v3, and ggnh10hh0-v3 256x256 model like versions in one of the upcoming releases. These models had real potential, but they were abandoned during Gigapixel’s beta testing phase due to severe blurred patch tile inconsistencies (or whatever the term is). While the final version 6.3 models were also good (the current standard v1 and gHQ v1), they unfortunately lack the same robust functionality. (As a beta tester, I tested the 256x256 models the most for scanned photos and achieved quite good results(not much noticeable blurred patches with scanned material unlike real photos) using moderately adjusted face recovery option). Perhaps we could open a dedicated topic in the beta forum section to discuss these models. Discussing them in the release section might be illogical and confusing for regular users.

Best regards,

batch processing is so fast and easy now!!! thank you!!!

1 Like

The new update has created problems

It is still downloading the file in the larger size, but it won’t open.
I have a job today that I need finish, so any help to fix this would be amazing.
I just tried downloading at 6x and it came out completely pixilated.

Hi Kate, please clarify what’s going on.

What is “downloading”? Loading the image into Gigapixel?

I see you’re not trying to exceed 6X, not sure why you’re getting the error.

Here my attempt to upscale an iPhone photo 6X also on Mac (M2), no problem.

When working in Lightroom Classic plug in, it won’t send me back to Light Room Classic. Though when I short cut back to lightroom, the photo is finished.

Good morning,

As a Monochrom camera user I was very pleased to finally use Gigapixel directly with DNG files and export them also as DNG so I can edit them as DNG
It was, at least for me, a massive improvement.
My use for Gigapixel is about providing for very large prints as much resolution as possible to avoid printers upscaling which are not as good as Gigapixel can do.
For example some of my edited photos trough CaptureOne Pro have analogic simulated grain and before I could initially upscale my original DNG files and use the upscaled files as DNG I have noticed that the grain was not rendered as good as the original along with small other issues. You could argue that I can edit the Gigapixel Tiff output from the original DNG in CaptureOne the same as it was a DNG but it is wrong because I can’t edit the Gigapixel Tiff output from my Monochrom camera, I can only edit a color profile file and also saved as a Photoshop Tif file ; even with that I cannot get the same editing quality.
One thing tough important to notice is that the Gigapixel output DNG files shows an overexposed difference (it is variable) compared to the original DNG but once you know that it is very easy to correct the only downside is that I noticed that some highlights can be compressed which can results in a loss of details in this region, but I only noticed this issue in one case,.
As you understand Gigapixe 7.0.4l is a setback for me and I am forced to downgrade to 7.0.3 until now ;.
I hope you will reconsider your position at least for Monochrom cameras and improve your software so we don’t have any issue with DNG files, because Gigapixel works extremely well and far better with Monochrom files than color files due its much cleaner details and low noise ability.
If you need files or my collaboration on this matter I would be very happy.
Thank you for your understanding.

Hello,

Sorry to hear about how this has affected your workflow. I think ideally we would be able to support DNG exports, but at the moment supporting them brings I believe significant setbacks. If we can figure out ways to address these in the future then I would be willing to re-add DNG exports.

Specifically, there are a few issues which are related to use of Adobe DNG SDK:

We use the DNG SDK to render RAW image data. This includes data that doesn’t come directly from DNG files. The way we are using it is we have a non-profile applied sRGB color image loaded from OpenImageIO and we manually apply a bunch of profile settings and tell DNG SDK to render it. The biggest issue here is that the rendered image, as far as I’m aware, cannot be put into a DNG directly or it will be blown out. Essentially it would be double processed.

This means we need to keep the base sRGB image around and process based on that, but since that version does not look correct to most users we need to re-apply the DNG SDK profile process on all previews which adds significant time (~15 seconds for some large previews, for every time it’s updated). If you ever see “Generating Preview” for several seconds in 7.0.3 and earlier that’s what it’s doing.

Another issue is that we are applying all the profile data manually which means that there are aspects of the profile that certain cameras have that we may miss especially from newer DNG files. This is why 7.0.3 and earlier and Photo AI in general still cannot correctly open various iPhone and other newer phone DNG files. 7.0.4 fixes this issue by always loading DNG files with Adobe DNG SDK instead of OpenImageIO, so ideally the output should be what Adobe expects it to be, although I have noticed differences in relation to Photoshop but that’s another topic.

Since we are loading these files with DNG SDK we no longer have the sRGB version which means as far as I’m aware we cannot re-save these with the SDK into new DNG files. I hope this is just a lack of knowledge on my part, but I don’t know of a way to strip the color changes away so we can save the RAW data, especially after we modify it.

I know this isn’t a solution but hopefully I’ve managed to explain at least some of the process behind this change. If anyone knows of a way to save rendered image data back into a DNG via Adobe DNG SDK with correct colors let me know and I can add it back.

3 Likes

Thank you so much Adam for your answer,

I hope you will find the way to use Gigapixel with DNG like Adobe does with Super Resolution
as I much prefer your software. In the meantime I will try to find a suitable workflow.

All the best

Benjamin

Two quick questions if It may (I’m using 6.3.3 but my update plan is good for any versions likely to come out for quite some time):

(1) There was talk of having a 4-way (or even maybe 6-way with 16:9 screens the commonest) comparison view return. Is this likely to happen (it would be nice)?

(2) Does v7.04 have enough advantages over 6.3.3 to make it worth the upgrade now or should I stay as a watcher?

Thanks!
J

1 Like

Since DNG export is no longer supported, you may want to stay with 6.3.3.

1 Like

7.04 is 10-times (on average) slower than v6.33 
 keep this in mind.

1 Like

The problems, with entering the size and resolution, remained. When I change the size/resolution they are not immediately updated in the panel below. I can’t enter the dimensions in cm and the resolution in px/inch, why?
To insert it, I have to set the value “in” and then go back and write the dimensions in cm.
The v. 6.x allowed me to do it easily without any other unnecessary steps.
I also find that this version is a little slower than 6.3.x

Just updated to Mac V 7.0.4. Couple of immediate issues: 1) if you decide you do not want to save the edited version, there is no button to say “don’t save”, which I believe was available in version 6.x Or am I missing that? 2) Then, if you choose to delete the edited image in Gigapixel, when you return to Lightroom, it hangs. Or 3) if you just close Gigapixel, Lightroom has an edited version anyway! Which is causing more work, not less.

I have requested this or something like this since AI first released after gigapixel. At least 3 times. I am a programmer myself and don’t understand how hard can this be they just don’t do it. No counter, no overall progress bar
I mean progress bars, since windows 3.1. /shrugs.

I gave up.

Further comments on GP 7.0.4

The instructions here: Getting Started | Topaz Labs show a save button which brings up the option to change file names, including which tools were applied in Gigapixel before saving to Lightroom Classic. I don’t see that save button in my version
the only thing I see is a simple save button with no options to change the file name etc. Is this coming in 7.0.5? Thx - //Spud

Hi Spud,
Can you share what button you’re seeing? We can start a Support ticket to help you more directly and communicate easily.

Hi Ester - this is the button I see (below):

Thanks,

//Spud

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 16.01.53.png

Thanks for sharing that. The button you see is the intended behavior when Gigapixel is used as a plugin.
When you open Gigapixel as a standalone app the Export Settings will pop up with the Save button as you referenced in the Getting Started Page of our Support Docs.

Anytime a plugin like lightroom or photoshop is used, you will not have the Export Panel pop up since the expected behavior but instead see the “Save to Adobe Lightroom Classic” or “Save to Adobe Photoshop”.

OK, thanks for clarifying that. Its too bad, though, since that would be super-helpful. Is that controlled by Lightroom - ie it’s not possible to have that functionality because its a plug-in?

Thanks!

//S

PS - did you see my other question about not having the option to say that you don’t want to save the edited photo, and return to Lightroom with no edited version saved? Thx