Getting the best out of DeNoise AI

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: DNG from DeNoise not suitable to be opened in other apps

@Roger250 I agree with you on the Olympus ORF raw files. My workflow with these files begins with DxO PhotoLab, including its Prime denoise tool. Then there’s no need for DeNoise AI. I tend to use DeNoise AI as a plugin in Topaz Studio 2 for special situations that may arise.

1 Like

Some DxO PL users on DPR swear by: Prime NR → DeNoise AI

1 Like

I own PhotoLab and do not use it because Prime noise reduction on my NEF files is painfully slow, DeNoise is much faster.

Doesn’t PL spawn these processes in the background? If I’m not mistaken? I’ve noticed it’s not super-fast, but not slow enough to where it causes a problem for me (obviously, on my system). I’m not sure if Prime-NR uses the GPU. Anyway, I use both.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Fit in Window option for DeNoise AI and Sharpen AI

A post was merged into an existing topic: Workflow?

Very helpful. However there are at least two cases where your good advice cannot help us.

1 File is right out of an digital camera, so there is no RAW nor is there a JPEG without sharpening or noise reduction since the camera has done both of these things.

2 Scan of a printed image

Hence it would be very good to have DeNoise AI that was trained specifically for these two types of iamge files.

Thanks

1 Like

Read it Dan, here is the relevant quote from my post:

“As a general rule of thumb I would recommend using manual settings or the AI Clear model if you don’t have access to the original RAW file of the image.”

1 Like

Of course, I simply wanted to remind people for the reason why RAW files may not be available.

1 Like

So if you are going to use Light room, Denoise AI and Sharpen AI in a RAW file, what would you recommend to be the right order to do it?
Thanks!

As mentioned above in the opening post, DeNoise first then use Sharpen AI instead of LR sharpening. Note that the image will need to be a TIF (preferably) passed to DeNoise from LR with no noise reduction applied.

And at the end LR to apply contrast, shadows, etc?
Thanks!

No, Sharpening as the final step …

So the steps should be like this?

1. DeNoise AI (as a TIFF)
  2. LR adjustments
  3. Sharpen AI

Thanks!

1 Like

There are some important things I have learned that need to be done before converting the raw file into a TIFF and handing it off to DeNoise AI.

• White Balance: this is more effective on the raw file. You lose access to the drop down menu of preset white balance choices (e.g., Cloudy, Shade) with the TIFF file.
  • Camera Profiles: You lose access to Portrait, Vivid, Landscape, etc. camera profiles once converted to a TIFF.
  • Lens Corrections: You lose access to lens profiles to correct for distortion and vignetting that are usually available in the raw file.
  • Highlights & Shadows: I suspect you have a greater ability to recover detail in the extreme dark and bright areas with the raw file.
1 Like

All these are embedded in the TIF produced from your editor so then only need minor adjustments. Lens corrections should only be used on RAW files and if you need further corrections most editors provide manual corrections.

Highlights & Shadows recovery are dependant on the editor you are using, for example Capture One is very good.

My understanding is that the output from DeNoise (and other Topaz AI products I think) is TIFF format, is this correct? If it is then aren’t you in many ways limiting further Post Production with other app like PS or Lightroom, Topaz Studio 2 etc.? My understanding is that the RAW file has the “most” information available to tweak and adjust and that once you have created a TIFF or PSD that can greatly diminish the latitude you have for further image enhancements.

No you aren’t limiting post production as a RAW image only contains sensor data that needs to be processed to an image format. DeNoise allows you to output the RAW data into either a JPG, PNG, TIF or DNG as you wish.

All applications produce a “preview” of the RAW file with the adjustments you have applied.