Fuji S5 pro raw files are all white

Hello,

I have quite a few older Fuji “SR sensor” raw files (S3 pro, S5 pro cameras) in DNG format and while Photo AI loads the files, they do not render correctly.

Files from the camera that have been converted to DNG show an all-white preview. Files in the camera’s proprietary RAF format show as if they’re overexposed by something like 3-5 stops.

The very same files render correctly in GigaPixel AI or Sharpen AI, for example. Just not in Photo AI.

The “Input Image Size” is wrong in all applications (shows the files as 6 megapixels when they’re really 12 megapixels) but that appears to be a different issue for separate bug report.

Topaz Photo AI v1.2.10 on macOS 13.3.1, 2019 Intel i9 iMac 27".

@alexskunz please send me the original RAF file and the converted DNG file so I can check this with my team and look into a solution.

It seems that we are reading the RAW file incorrectly.

You can securely submit your image(s) to my Dropbox using the link below. Please be sure to send me a note to let me know you sent something.
Dropbox File Request

1 Like

Hello @Lingyu and thanks for taking a look. I have uploaded an archive with two files, using the Dropbox file request. One is in the original RAF format (an example photo only), the other is one of my own, converted to DNG.

The S5 pro (and S3 pro) Fuji cameras have a special “S/R” sensor with two photo sites per pixel: one for the normal exposure, one for extra highlight detail. It appears to me that how these files are interpreted is rather wrong. :smile:

For example, the original files should have a resolution of 4256 x 2848 pixels, but when opened in Photo AI, I only see an original resolution of 3030 x 2036 pixels. (the same thing happens when using Sharpen AI.)

In the DNG example file, with the oak tree, you’ll notice that the “R” pixels of the sensor, which are used for the highlights, seem to get ignored entirely. The highlight areas behind the branches cannot be recovered in the Topaz-processed file anymore.

I hope these comments are helpful.

Thanks
Alexander.

Thanks for sending the files Alexander.

I was able to reproduce the issue with this image. It’s on our supported cameras list through LibRaw but it looks like we are not handling this file correctly.

I shared this with my team so we can look into this issue. If you have a RAW file from the S3Pro please send that as well so I can check on both cameras.

You can securely submit your image(s) to my Dropbox using the link below. Please be sure to send me a note to let me know you sent something.
Dropbox File Request

Hello Lingyu, I’m sorry but I do not have any S3 pro files.

Got it. We’ll see if we can find a solution for the S5Pro and maybe the S3Pro.